Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 12:37 pm

I'm considering using and employment service for people with disabilities to see if they can find me a job I can do. I have had jobs in the past, but they all caused me horrible anxiety and when I get incredibly anxious, I pass out. I'm hoping they can find me something that is a good fit with the support I need. There is an organization nearby that helps place disabled individuals in jobs. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, but I'm nervous a bit about it.
My question is: Have any of you ever used an employment service for help with jobs and were they helpful?
Thank you :D

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 12:43 pm

Because I'm blind, I had access to such services. They were helpful, to a point. I did get one, no wait, two job leads from them, one of which actually panned out. They helped with resume, portfolio, interviewing skills, ETC. they most definitely did not help with anxiety however, although they did advise me to see a therapist which I did. Perhaps when you make the phone call, you could see if they have any connections with people in your field, or if they could help you make those connections. It's often who you know, or who your friends or coworkers know, or who your career coach knows.

Also, regular employment services for all people, not just people with disabilities, were helpful as well. I found that some of their classes were more advanced than the ones directed at people with disabilities unfortunately. :-(

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 1:19 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Because I'm blind, I had access to such services. They were helpful, to a point. I did get one, no wait, two job leads from them, one of which actually panned out. They helped with resume, portfolio, interviewing skills, ETC. they most definitely did not help with anxiety however, although they did advise me to see a therapist which I did. Perhaps when you make the phone call, you could see if they have any connections with people in your field, or if they could help you make those connections. It's often who you know, or who your friends or coworkers know, or who your career coach knows.

Also, regular employment services for all people, not just people with disabilities, were helpful as well. I found that some of their classes were more advanced than the ones directed at people with disabilities unfortunately. :-(

Thanks :) Right now, I don't have a degree. I'm currently in school and my hope is to work in a library someday. My mom suggested explaining to them my situation and diagnosis and seeing what they recommend. I might look into regular employment services too now, I wonder if they might be able to help as well.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 9:00 am

I did.
The service i used was a general one, not one aimed at "special needs", but it was helpful nontheless, as i learned how to navigate the application process.

Explaining your full diagnosis to the service is a good idea, but do not do that to a potential employer: those only need to know the most pressing issues, as well as how you can solve them with a bit of help. ("i get distracted by environmental sounds, but i can solve that if i'm allowed music while at work" is a good example).

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 9:43 am

izzeme wrote:
I did.
The service i used was a general one, not one aimed at "special needs", but it was helpful nontheless, as i learned how to navigate the application process.

Explaining your full diagnosis to the service is a good idea, but do not do that to a potential employer: those only need to know the most pressing issues, as well as how you can solve them with a bit of help. ("i get distracted by environmental sounds, but i can solve that if i'm allowed music while at work" is a good example).

Thank you :) I just called the special needs one and am waiting for a call back from them. I think I'll try a general one too and see what they can offer me.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 6:40 am

I too am in the process of switching from a mainstream to a disabilities employment service as I work on retraining to affect career change / getting back into the workforce.
My experiences with mainstream employment services have ranged from useless to horrible. They don't know what autism is, the consultant couldn't even spell it, and they recommended me for work in a fast food chain - heat, noise, light, many people in a small space, fast paced work environment, multitasking between auditory and visual processing, "reading" people's behaviour to cue table waiting, speaking/yelling over noise - just no.
Another service accused me of expecting everything to be handed to me on a platter, accused me of being spoiled and entitled just because of my country of birth and the colour of my skin.
Which is why I'm seeking to transfer to an organisation who at least knows what autism is. In my opinion, bad experiences with these people can do you a lot of harm in trying to find appropriate work. I'd recommend a disabilities option.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

31 May 2016, 12:17 am

I found my 1st job using an employment agency that my voc rehab counselor had referred me to after I asked her to. Voc rehab was useless for me otherwise. I kept having to go in for appointments while my counselor kept telling me to keep asserting myself which I was doing. I was referred to another employment agency years later & they kept calling me & told me to call them back when they got my answering machine. I'd call them back a few minutes later & the person who called me would be busy or out. They ended things & told my voc rehab counselor that I was being uncooperative. I was the 1st person my counselor had referred there & she believed I was trying my best. I have mental & physical disabilities in addition to my Aspergers & my disabilities all work against each other so no one really knows what to do with me. I was also in Louisiana which has been facing LOTs of budget cuts in those types of programs so they may of not had the resources available to help someone like me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition