Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bdavis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2016, 8:06 am

Yesterday was just what I call an "Aspie Day at Work". Ya know those days? Perhaps it was being a new and loud environment all day, or being in an environment where socializing all day was expected, or I was the new kid on the block making all sort of mistakes in front of my peers on a series of tasks that I had never done before. Let's just say by the end of the day I was in full shutdown mode. Spent the night underneath my weighted blanket watching my favorite tv show chopped.

Just found out less than a year ago that I'm on the spectrum so I am trying to develop coping strategies.

Any suggestions?

catalina
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2016, 8:40 am

first days are usually hard (for NT too). You will get used to the new environment. About socialization, if your job involves working directly with people, try to work on your social abilities. If not, limit to the basics: say hi to your coworkers, join them for lunch, help them when needed, etc

bdavis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2016, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the tips!

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2016, 2:45 am

Be positive. Lots of people are negative. They will be drawn to you... wait, well it's better than being repelled by you! :lol:
Give each one a complement once a week, on a different day. Don't make it about their appearance specifically, or they might start to think you are attracted to them. Say something such as "you're looking well?" act curious.
Even if they feel horrible, this will boost their ego. It's okay if you skip a complement here and there, better to give less than go overboard. And try not to give complements when others are around - jealously is rife among the Normals.
Sometimes they won't be well, if they start to offload their bad mood experience, try to listen for a bit, and empathise "yeah that sux". But NEVER offer advice, for some reason they want to attack good advice givers & truth speakers. Just listen and say "oh, no", "yeah?", "damn!" Excuse your self after a bit "I've got to get this task done now." You can offer to listen to more of his story at lunch (if you can handle that).