Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

maxwelljohnmootz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

Hey guys. I'm a cashier at a local hardware store where I live and I've recently encountered a bit of a conflict with my boss. He had me sit down with him in his office to discuss my current mediocre progress during my shifts and he told me he's become frustrated with my occasional forgetfulness, lack of awareness of my surroundings, my unconfident appearence when I'm cashiering, and complications multitasking. Of course he didn't exactly explain his frustration that way by listing as such, but those were the reasons I personally believe were causing the problems. I never told him about my diagnosis of Aspergers because I didn't want to sound too desperate. I've read other online posts that recommend not telling your employer since they rarely have the time to sit down and familiarize themselves with the disorder. It beats me up because I consider myself a capable person as do others I know, and I don't want to lose my job due to certain things about me that I can't always be in control of. Does anyone encounter or have encountered similar problems at work? Can anyone provide helpful advice?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 8:38 pm

It's everybody's experience that their boss will tell them areas to improve on. I wouldn't make too much of it. You should try to improve in the ways that he suggested. If you really believe down deep you can't do the job, you should resign. Don't look for excuses why you can't improve. I'm not saying you need to be perfect - you just need to show a little improvement.