Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

PickTheFlower
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2019, 6:05 pm

I'm a preschool assistant teacher and whenever parents start to talk to me I freeze up the parents always look at me oddly i never know what to say I completely blank when I'm around them I have no problems interacting with the kids but the parents 8O

I'm trying to get better I know they want to know how their kid did but whenever they approach me my mind just goes blah.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2019, 10:53 pm

I find this quite relatable, it sounds like an anxiety thing.

In my own reflection, I'm convinced this comes from spending all our developmental years experiencing social reactions/consequences we couldn't predict, from NT peers and authority figures.

The parents are also more anxiety-inducing because if they get it in their heads to get upset, for whatever reason, they have the power as customers to make life awkward, if not difficult, for you.

Assuming you can mask when you need to, I suggest treating it as a professional skill, practice greetings, scripts etc. Try to reduce the reliance on on-the-spot cognition.

If you do this, it means really putting yourself out there for the sake of the job, and deserves to be recognized as such and compensated with self-care on other occasions.

I hope it goes well.