Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 2:47 pm

So I was upset today and called someone at the mental health line to try to calm me out of the meltdown. I mentioned not hearing from jobs was causing me anxiety and she was like "you can't work if you react like this all the time!" I told the lady she wasn't being very helpful and I hung up.

But seriously in the past on the job I tried to "suppress" meltdowns a couple of times and I shutdown instead... I really don't know what to say if I get hired somewhere and this happens...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 May 2019, 3:56 pm

I excuse everyone saying I need to go to a bathroom... it's kinda true, a meltdown in a bathroom is way less problematic and shorter.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 8:02 pm

magz has a good idea.

In the meantime, start today practicing meditation. You can find a video on YouTube I'm sure. Just a simple meditation session. After practicing a while over many days, you will be able to regulate your emotions much better.

I mean, it worked for me.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 4:44 am

The lady on the 'helpline' was supremely unhelpful.
Meltdowns happen, we just have to find a private place and get through them as best we can.
Sometimes I have to call someone, too, and I'd expect a more supportive response from someone on a helpline.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2019, 2:35 pm

That's kind of what happened to me Yesterday with my Mom, I was having a bit of a meltdown and called her. She told me to suck it up mostly. It's not helpful at all, like the way to approach people who are having this situation is to guide them and calm them down instead of saying what isn't helpful during that moment.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

13 May 2019, 7:18 am

I've had LOTS of meltdowns with my parents at home but I only ever had one meltdown at work during the 38 months I worked & I quit the job while having that meltdown but I don't really regret it. I think I had meltdowns at home & not work because my parents have been very critical of my issues, disabilities, & quirks my whole life. Plus I needed the time at home to wind down from being at skewl & latter on work. I manged to hold myself together till I got home & then having people on my back when I got there just pushed me over the edge. I dealt with stress at work by trying to stay focused on my tasks which were kinda routine & manual labor type stuff so I was being active, it's kinda like how some people use punching bags or go for runs to blow off steam/relieve stress. I think the psych meds I was on helped me stay held together more too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 9:19 am

If I have a meltdown, I go and try to find a place to be alone along with crying instead of getting angry.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2019, 2:08 pm

listen, I've been working abroad far from my family when I was 20 for 3 months.

How I managed there? I balanced between real life and my fantasy world.

I would listen to my favourite music for hours before starting my working shift, and playing a lot of videogames.

This really helped me create a balance and I could handle 8 hours of work because I knew after I was going inside my "perfect world".

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 5:20 pm

The woman that talked to you on the phone, might not have been a professional counselor

She could have been a volunteer

Please lower your standards accordingly

:D

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 12:38 pm

almost lost my job due to a meltdown, or more of a combination of stress and anxiety that made me not want to continue working, head office were understanding enough to shrug it off as maybe they have people who have gone through similar situations but didn't want to let me go in particular because im a good worker.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2019, 12:51 pm

Can someone please clarify the difference between a meltdown and a shutdown? And from some of the posts
I take it meltdowns can also manifest themselves in outbursts of anger besides a fear/panic attack or sadness /crying, correct? I have periodic angry outbursts sometimes alone and sometimes around/directed at others, which I'm guessing is particularly (though not exclusively) a guy thing to do. Though I have fear induced times of paralysis (for lack of a better word) too, but almost never crying. Thanks.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

28 May 2019, 5:48 am

breaks0 wrote:
Can someone please clarify the difference between a meltdown and a shutdown? And from some of the posts
I take it meltdowns can also manifest themselves in outbursts of anger besides a fear/panic attack or sadness /crying, correct? I have periodic angry outbursts sometimes alone and sometimes around/directed at others, which I'm guessing is particularly (though not exclusively) a guy thing to do. Though I have fear induced times of paralysis (for lack of a better word) too, but almost never crying. Thanks.
I'm not the best to answer this but I think meltdowns involve behavioral outbursts whereas shutdowns involve stopping things like you have a loss of interests in activities you usually enjoy & you quit caring about & doing things you should.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:28 am

Have you heard from any of the jobs?

I would try not to "show" the meltdown in public. I would go and "use the restroom."

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2019, 12:07 pm

nick007 wrote:
breaks0 wrote:
I'm not the best to answer this but I think meltdowns involve behavioral outbursts whereas shutdowns involve stopping things like you have a loss of interests in activities you usually enjoy & you quit caring about & doing things you should.

Thanks for the clarification, Nick.