Advice for Being a Radio Personality

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

georgethekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2019, 1:07 pm

I'm currently looking for jobs in either being a board operator or on-air talent for a station. The markets I'm looking at is Seattle, Portland, and Los Angeles. I have done job searches within those markets via career websites on multiple mass communication companies that specialize in radio broadcasting. I have done an internship with a terrestrial Adult Contemporary/Top 40 radio station nearby and have worked as a volunteer for my campus radio station and soon to graduate with my Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.

Is there any tips or advice that can work?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 11:29 am

LA is a monster, isn't it? probably 20 applicants for each job or more.

An audition tape a little on the short and sweet side. I mean, if the norm is two and a half minutes, maybe yours is one minute, 50 seconds. Doing so communicates that you're professional and respect their time. It also communicates confidence.

-----------------------

PS I'm pulling this from advice for writers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 12:17 pm

One approach is to get your foot in the door, and wait for an opportunity. For instance, you may be able to hire on selling advertising, so that you get a chance to fill in for someone who gets sick.

georgethekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2019, 12:19 pm

I have been trying to get my foot in the door and I have done an internship with a radio station and volunteered for my college campus radio station. I have been job searching and sending in resumes, audition tapes, and cover letters to the markets I mentioned. I also check in with LinkedIn often and created a podcast of mine. Is there more that I can do?

Last edited by georgethekid on 28 May 2019, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 12:23 pm

NP should be along shortly :wink:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 2:04 pm

I remember a guy who worked in the aerospace industry during the glory days of the ‘60s and not-so-glory days of the 70s, 80s, 90s, talking about how you want to politely and matter-of-factly find the phone number of the person actually doing the hiring. And the money statement seems to be:

“I’ve already sent a copy of my resume to HR. May I send you a copy also?”

And that way you’re aren’t asking the person to go around HR [human resources]. And this also shows that you understand company politics without making a big deal about it and that you’re easy and reasonable to work with.

And then, as always, it is and remains a numbers game. :D