Hoping I can find Accounting work again

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 5:34 pm

I originally put this in the Haven but think it would be more appropriate here. I am just hoping that I can find a Accounting job again. I had a temporary job opportunity that I could have got but due to fear and the distance I declined it. I have been putting in a good bit of resumes but haven't been getting too many responses. I decided to put in my resume with some staffing services and hope it turns up something.

I unfortunately don't have an Accounting degree but have over 15 years experience in Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable. At some point I would like to complete my Associate's Degree in Accounting. I took courses in Accounting but never finished my degree. I had alot of executive function issues with organization and studying at the time with my non-accounting classes. I got A's on every Accounting course I took. I sometimes think companies are more biased towards education than experience or at least it appears so as most accounting positions seem to require an associate or bachelor's degree. Not all necessarily but many. I do blame myself for that though as there were things I could have done to work on getting a degree.

I realize how much work has helped me to keep me busy and occupied and it helps greatly diminish my mental health issues. I am going to be looking into part-time jobs and maybe volunteer opportunities to keep me busy. My thoughts go out to all who are trying to find work. I know it's tough out there right now. Keep plugging away and don't give up hope!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Last edited by Brian0787 on 12 Sep 2024, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 7:59 pm

All I can say is good luck, and hope that you find something soon.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 8:29 pm

honeytoast wrote:
All I can say is good luck, and hope that you find something soon.

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 6:11 am

Brian0787 wrote:
I originally put this in the Haven but think it would be more appropriate here. I am just hoping that I can find a Accounting job again. I had a temporary job opportunity that I could have got but due to fear and the distance I declined it. I have been putting in a good bit of resumes but haven't been getting too many responses. I decided to put in my resume with some staffing services and hope it turns up something.

I unfortunately don't have an Accounting degree but have over 15 years experience in Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable. At some point I would like to complete my Associate's Degree in Accounting. I took courses in Accounting but never finished my degree. I had alot of executive function issues with organization and studying at the time with my non-accounting classes. I got A's on every Accounting course I took. I sometimes think companies are more biased towards education than experience or at least it appears so as most accounting positions seem to require an associate or bachelor's degree. Not all necessarily but many. I do blame myself for that though as there were things I could have done to work on getting a degree.

I realize how much work has helped me to keep me busy and occupied and it helps greatly diminish my mental health issues. I am going to be looking into part-time jobs and maybe volunteer opportunities to keep me busy. My thoughts go out to all who are trying to find work. I know it's tough out there right now. Keep plugging away and don't give up hope!

Do you have your CPA because thats something you could work towards if you dont that could possibly help.Maybe you could work at HR Block during tax season.Also you could maybe work for a oil family in Texas and America handling their accounting work for their family finance.You can make good money doing that.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 6:23 am

Thank you! I think I need to at least get a Bachelor's degree first I think before sitting for the CPA exam but it's definitely something I wanted to look into pursuing after getting a degree. I've been looking into tax firms too for part-time. Texas is a big business area! Definitely lots of opportunities :)

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 11:28 am

I'm sure you know accounts payable and receivable work is not really accounting. Whether companies are biased in favor of education or experience, you have neither. You will never get accounting qua accounting work without a degree, as that would be a massive professional liability risk for the accounting firm.

You really don't have any more time to waste. If you want to get an accounting degree, get it now. My mom got her associates in accounting in her mid 30s; she was a teller who became the assistant manager of the bank branch.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 1:23 am

Than you for your comment! I would respectfully somewhat disagree on the accounts receivable and accounts payable not being accounting. It is accounting work just not "higher level" accounting work in the sense of producing financial statements, analysis, performing audits, etc. I guess you could say it's more on the Bookkeeping side but it is a important part of the accounting process. Without accounts payable and accounts receivable the accounting cycle would break down and you wouldn't have information to use on financial statements. I would say it's accounting work in that sense as it's a necessary part of the accounting cycle. One of my previous positions was called "Accounting Assistant".

I don't have "higher level" accounting experience in that I haven't put together financial statements or did analysis work. I am experienced though on the bookkeeping side and can enter accounting transactions, cut checks, ran reports, did collections. I have a understanding of debits and credits, the general ledger, adjusting entries, etc. I also have had Accounting courses in college and have a understanding of financial statements, basicl financial statement analysis, depreciation, some general knowledge on FASB.

I do agree with you on getting a Accounting degree. I am going to slowly work on trying to finish up my Associate's degree. I'm glad your mom was able to get her Associate's! Right now my focus has been on finding more positions in line with accounts payable or accounts receivable or general Bookkeeping since I am experienced in those areas. I do think it's a shame that more of the higher level Accountant positions can't be learned on the job. There is a shortage in the accounting profession right now. Here is a recent news article from Bloomsberg I found describing the shortage of CPA's. Here is another good article I found. I have a feeling that shortage will continue to grow. Companies need to look into apprentice programs or on the job training and be less biased towards the education aspect. I do understand what you are saying from a professional liability standpoint for accounting firms. Any financial statements produced would have to be done from someone who is licensed.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:38 pm

Brian0787 wrote:
Thank you! I think I need to at least get a Bachelor's degree first I think before sitting for the CPA exam but it's definitely something I wanted to look into pursuing after getting a degree. I've been looking into tax firms too for part-time. Texas is a big business area! Definitely lots of opportunities :)

Anytime.Best of luck.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 1:31 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Brian0787 wrote:

Anytime.Best of luck.

Thank you, Texasmoneyman! :)