Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2024, 8:48 am

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/at-will-employment-new-york-city/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2WQ_lQP3SIx20wX8sHrc22pR5RFAtJr--20eCUj8O0tyeGahMI86WIB6Y_aem_xGZXHHh5ckIfxXKVjY9jaw

As someone who has twice fallen victim to at-will employment, this is long overdue and needs to be done nationwide.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2024, 9:04 am

I feel all this says is that we need unions. This is what happens when unions are not strong. A lot of employers are against unions because it takes this "right" away.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 1:04 am

There needs to be strong labor unions in every state so that every worker can live the 1950's American Dream.I doubt at-will employment will end in Texas soon or ever.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 3:14 am

At-will employment goes both ways.  If they can dismiss you without notice, you can resign without notice.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 3:59 am

Resign without notice?
Since the first action of a corporation being given notice is to kick you out before you can do any damage, I can't see this being in any way compensatory.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2024, 7:11 am

In Britain, happily, there is no at-will employment. Employees have rights protected in law. It isn't legal, for example, to terminate someone's employment and make their severance package conditional on them training their replacements. But I hear stories like this coming out of the US all the time.

This doesn't stop UK employers trying to circumvent these rights any way they can, of course. It isn't helped by the weaselly words in some of the law. For example, an employee is entitled by law to 'ignore' a clause in a zero-hours contract which prohibits them from taking on work with other employers. But it is not in itself illegal to insert a clause like that into the contract in the first place. This places the burden on the employee, and makes it difficult for many autistic or otherwise vulnerable people.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 9:20 am

Boeing workers are currently on strike and Pres Biden walked the picket lines this year with the UAW. United Airlines flight attendants are set to go on strike; so are the dockworker's union. It is sad that people view unions as an old fashioned idea I guess that is why both political parties court labor unions today because they believe all people should enjoy a 1950s lifestyle

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 1:48 am

Carbonhalo wrote:
Resign without notice?
Since the first action of a corporation being given notice is to kick you out before you can do any damage, I can't see this being in any way compensatory.
It's easy . . .

Friday: "See ya Monday!"

Monday: "Hello, boss?  I gotta resign due to vision problems . . . I just can't see the point in working for you any more."

Resignation complete!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2024, 1:52 am

Aspinator wrote:
It is sad that people view unions as an old fashioned idea I guess that is why both political parties court labor unions today because they believe all people should enjoy a 1950s lifestyle
What is even more sad is that when Management gets even a whiff of Labor's plans to unionize, outsourcing jobs overseas becomes a viable option.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2024, 8:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Aspinator wrote:
It is sad that people view unions as an old fashioned idea I guess that is why both political parties court labor unions today because they believe all people should enjoy a 1950s lifestyle
What is even more sad is that when Management gets even a whiff of Labor's plans to unionize, outsourcing jobs overseas becomes a viable option.

Or contracting.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!