Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zapnpow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2008, 1:34 am

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I am 35 yo and knew something was different about me my whole life. I only knew I was different around other people, as being alone I felt free to be myself without judgement. Then I learned about AS and, well....here I am. I am older, so I may or may not seek diagnosis, but knowing about AS has defined many of the events that have and continue to define my life.

I am seeking some comments or help about my career. I am in a career crisis and nobody seems to care or know how to help me. I am well established into my current career (4 yrs education + 4 yrs experience + license) , but absolutely hate it (yes, I deal with people alot). I have a wife and kids. For me to quit would be financial ruin, the poorhouse. My current job is affecting my health in a bad way because I loath it so.

I took a job interview for what I thought was my dream job. I found out that my dream job is no better than my current one :( I'm not dumb, but I have a big problem dealing with people (that's where the paychecks come form :D ) I just have no clue where to go from here. Have others taken the path less traveled to find their perfect job?

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 12:13 pm

Welcome to WP!
I wish I had some advice for you. Well, maybe I do.
Can you search for another job in the same or a similar field?
How about taking a vacation for as long a time as you are able? (my longest vacation by far was nineteen days at a very stressful time in my work life. By the end I was incredibly refreshed and revitalized and ready to go back)
Do you have an EAP, an Emplyoyee Assistance Program, at your corporation, or something similar? They may be of assistance.
Do you have appreciable savings? If not, can you set a concrete savings goal, with the idea of quitting and being on a job search or futher education?
Maybe these suggestions can help you get on a better path.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm

Welcome.
So you're problems in work are dealing with people? You'll find some resources here. It might help to take a vacation, but ultimately, if this job isn't for you, then you gotta find a way to change it. We spend a lot of our lives working, so if we hate that aspect of our lives...it's just not the way it should be.
My oldest brother's first job was harsh. It payed very well, but basically, it was a new company, and if there was a problem, he was the one called in. He'd end up working for 16 hour days sometimes. It killed him. So he kept the job until he could find a new one.
If you can solve the problems in your workplace, that may be the way to go. But ultimately, if the career isn't for you... it isn't. It may be somewhat established, but better you leave after 4 years then 10.

Good luck

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:50 am

Welcome to WP.

Are you sure that your depression about the job isn't just a stronger-than-usual typical aspie bout of depression. If that was the case, then no job would satisfy you.

Sometimes I hate my job, but I try to find things to like about it.

zapnpow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2008, 12:59 am

Thanks for all the input.

I think my problem is that my current job is full of evil surprises and difficult decisions. I don't deal with surprises well. I also have to explain every single thing I do in exhausting detail to my supervisors and customers. If I can take out the surprises and the constant communications I may be able to find something I will stick with. My current employer chooses to use pink slips instead of HR assistance or an EAP. Thats what a small company is all about. Thanks

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 9:26 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!