sometimes I just feel helpless.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

missa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2007, 11:32 am

Today is one of those days. My daughter has been stimming almost non-stop all weekend, and this morning was no exception. I can't seem to find what is causing her to stim so much more than usual, and I feel helpless. My patience is wearing thin, and I feel like I need to regroup and re-focus, but I must go to work, and then immediately pick her up when I get off. I have no idea what to do here. I'm at a loss, and am feeling like the worst parent ever. I shouldn't be feeling so damned impatient.

TheZach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2007, 11:40 am

Could it be because of overstimulation from all the activites related to the holiday season?

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thezach.net/blog">My Blog</a>

missa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2007, 12:21 pm

TheZach wrote:
Could it be because of overstimulation from all the activites related to the holiday season?

I've thought about that, but it really hasn't been any different from any other day so far. We haven't spent an insane amoutn of time out shopping, in fact the most we have managed is a small bit of grocery shopping. Other than that, her routine has remained the same. Especially for the weekend. Which makes it a touch more frustrating since I can't seem to find anything that is different or outside of the usual.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2007, 1:56 pm

Are you sure? Seasons, temperature, and scenery change in most places, to some degree. Looking for all that might be different can be daunting, no doubt. It could be a simple matter of a cold or virus coming, and simply not feeling well, trying to fight off an infection. Does she like cocooning in a blanket or theater body sock?

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 2:56 pm

When this is happening at our house, I usually discover a few days or even weeks after that something at school had changed. One example was that the school were getting ready for their annual concert, (the school didn't think any thing different was going on) according to J a week after, his teacher wasn't in the room so much, and their were extra posters in his room.
Another time, J's fav tv show had been changed to another time slot.

It could even be just the anticipation of xmas.

Just some thoughts.

missa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2007, 4:03 pm

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm going to be looking for subtle changes, since I really cant think of anything off the top of my head. Until then, I've pretty much decided to let her stim away! I keep trying to redirect her, and ya know. She *needs* to be able to stim. The more people tried to redirect, the more she tries to stim. So i'm also thinking that if she is allowed to just stim, maybe the need won't be so intense. Of course, i could be wrong. any thoughts?

ster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 4:48 pm

sometimes it's just so hard to know.....you could spend days looking for an answer, and never find one......I say, as long as the stimming isn't prohibitive of her being able to do other things, then let her stim. The problem comes in when all they want to do is stim & avoid any other task~hopefully this is not the case.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 6:30 am

Our daughter's obsessions eased up once we let her alone to do what she wanted.