Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

galileosstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2007, 9:24 pm

My ds (has AS) is 10 yrs old and I have been noticing lately him making noises alot more than usual. It almost seems like if he is not talking he is making noises and no matter how much you ask him to stop he won't or he will for a couple of minutes and then start up again.

I noticed that he use to do this when there was too much going on around him or he was trying to block out other noises, but now it seems like it is happening all the time.
He is also doing this in school and when I told the teacher and his special ed teacher that he mostly did it when he was trying to block out other noises going on around him they said no, that it was an "impulse issue" and for "getting attention".

My son does have sensory problems and I have not looked into this factor as much as I should, and I will start doing more research but does anyone know what might be going on here?

Thank you!:)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:24 pm

I make noises too out of no where or for no reason, for me its a form of stimming, vocal stims, it help relaxes me.

galileosstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2007, 11:39 pm

I was wondering about that, if that was what he was doing.
I will have to start keeping that in mind and point it out to my husband as well.

Do you think ds could express that to me if we asked him why he makes the noises?
Thank you :)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 12:39 am

galileosstar wrote:
I was wondering about that, if that was what he was doing.
I will have to start keeping that in mind and point it out to my husband as well.

Do you think ds could express that to me if we asked him why he makes the noises?
Thank you :)

Idk if somebody asked me why i was doing something, i would look at them and be like huh what am i doing wrong, i don't always notice my stimming but it seems like everybody else does haha

ster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 7:13 am

daughter makes noises all the time....doesnt really seem to notice it~ other kids do, though. they've asked to be moved away from daughter because of noises

galileosstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2007, 9:36 am

I think you are right Age1600~ I remember now him asking me what I was talking about once when I asked him to stop making noises. lol It does not bother me most of the time when he is making the noises since usually he is somewhat quiet about it, but it can drive other people crazy.

Ster~ My son has the same thing happen. My son's teacher has to rotate the kids who sit around my son.... give them breaks I guess:( The one good thing though~ one of the obnoxious noises ds picked up was from one of the bullys that would make this sound towards my son... well ds picked up all kinds of bad "habits" from this kid~ the bully moved!! ! Found out yesterday that he is gone for good and the other bully that they put in a seperate class this year from ds moved as well. I am enjoying the "peace and quiet" for now;)

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 1:44 pm

Both of my children make noises. My son is 2 and makes "motorboat" noises all day long. He doesn't seem conscious of the fact that he is doing it most of the time. My daughter is 4 and she makes a wide variety of different noises. Just now she was squeaking over and over while playing otherwise quietly. I don't think it's attention-seeking behavior, though I'm not in your shoes or the teacher's, so I can't say for sure. Just my impression. I think it's soothing for them.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 6:02 pm

According to the speech pathologist the noise making was viewed as "negative" and an attempt to "extert control" over others. I think she's off her gourd.

How could she describe it in such a way. She might as well have said my eight-year old is a narcissitic, pathological liar with criminal intent who needs to be watched very closely--"great minds must not unwatched go"

We live in a frightening world of misunderstanding, ignorance and intolerance.

I'm surprised her recommendation was not to wash his mouth out with soap for two hours daily, bind his hands and legs and duck tape his mouth when negative behaviors occur. Right now, he's behind me, repeating the same song verse over and over--"We will rwe will ock you" first and now it's "Mr. Plow that's my name..." as he cuts out cookies. I don't think he's trying to manipulate anyone or "extert control" for goodness sakes. I'm steaming.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2007, 7:30 pm

Neither of my sons cant help making noices. It's so hard for them that they prefer to be off concerta instead. They simply have to make noices.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2007, 7:35 pm

And when my midst son chooses away concerta its just about as serious as he is getting the adrenaline pen an shooting in his leg. That is, its no joke.

He cant figure around normal people without concerta, and cant survive without the adrenaline....

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2007, 1:24 am

My midst son makes a lot of noises when he's concentrating on something. He also prefer to sit like a bird with his body. He's having a lot of pain in his knees due to this so me and his mother try to change that behaviour.

Usualy this is cured by a ferocious pillow fight..

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 1:49 am

J makes these really yuk sounding noises, starts clearing in the nose then draws back and clears the throat, sometimes he gags whilst doing it. We are trying to discourage this one whilst in public, for his sake.
He also gets tunes, lines from adds or songs stuck in his head and will sing continuesly. I have found he thinks whilst all this is going on.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 5:18 pm

Yes, we have this particular snorting. It is very unattractive. I'm waiting for it to pass--it seems to be subsiding somewhat. It is very noisy and very off putting.