Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

Wow--that's high and what a difference 104 and 180? Did he take a different test? Was he older? That seems like too much of a jump.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:51 pm

equinn wrote:
Wow--that's high and what a difference 104 and 180? Did he take a different test? Was he older? That seems like too much of a jump.

He was two years older, so maybe that's something. I thought it was really weird though, but he's tested consistently ever since.

Or IQ testing in general could just be wildly undependable. Which would make sense, because my IQ is really high and I frequently walk into walls, etc.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 12:38 am

Aurore wrote:
equinn wrote:

He was two years older, so maybe that's something. I thought it was really weird though, but he's tested consistently ever since.

Or IQ testing in general could just be wildly undependable. Which would make sense, because my IQ is really high and I frequently walk into walls, etc.

especially considering the highest you can get is 140 :wink: . A score of 135 means your smarter than 99% of the population. Unless he was measured on a different test than is now considered the standard.

But it wasn't that long ago you could get 200+. And thats how Einstein was able to get a 160

http://www.audiblox.com/iq_scores.htm

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:48 am

Is this the standard "deviation/spread" (don't now the proper term in English) that has changed, meaning what used to be 150 is around 135 now?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 8:55 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Aurore wrote:
equinn wrote:

especially considering the highest you can get is 140 :wink: . A score of 135 means your smarter than 99% of the population. Unless he was measured on a different test than is now considered the standard.

But it wasn't that long ago you could get 200+. And thats how Einstein was able to get a 160

http://www.audiblox.com/iq_scores.htm

We were using an older scale. I've heard the ceiling is now 150.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2008, 9:32 am

weird, I was tested as a kid, then again only a few years ago at 154 (same on both), when was this new scale implemented?

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 3:37 pm

quote from another thread:

This is based on the following:

100 is the midpoint, the mode and the median. About 68,26% of the population always score in the range from 100+15 and 100-15, which translates into an average IQ of 85 to 115.
By the way, of course 34,13% scores between 85 and 100, as well as 34,13% of the population scores between 100 and 115. And because of that, the whole range in considered as 'average'.

If we said an IQ between 80 and 100 is average, then it's not correct according to Gauß.

About Mensa...
I don't know about Mensa elsewhere, but it seems highly unlikely that there's an official statement on IQs, because depending on the test, an IQ score of 118 is equivalent to that of 130 which means highly gifted and Mensa level.

So it should say only the top 2& are allowed in (as Mensa International still says), because it's useless to talk about IQ numbers when talking, when percentile ratings matter in comparisons.

It's one thing to have an IQ of 172 in American tests or tests that use a sd of 24. Someone who has an IQ of 146 in a tests that is based on a sd of 15 is still brighter, if only just. (172 = 145)

Officially it's rather impossible to score higher than 145 though. Everything that goes higher than the third sd is guesswork. And guesswork tends to be tricky. It can be accurate, but there's no indication that it is so.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 7:57 pm

I'm pretty smart in most things, but the second you start talking math, it's like you've switched to another language that you wrongly assume I speak.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2008, 6:31 am

I dont know what a average IQ is. My youngest who's 7 now was taking a 10 years old test and scored 138 in IQ. The psychiatrist didn't believe her eyes.

But what is IQ? Is it empathy or is it being just street smart or is it being good at languages or math or? I know what I'm good at. And I'm fine with that.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2008, 2:37 pm

When I was younger and hated whatever school was i played Tetris in my head and slowed down. I had a classmate that probably had a authistic disorder too, that slept through his lessons. That he slept, didn't mean his mind slept though. He just disconnected some brain activity.

Jay4D
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2008, 9:31 pm

Our aspie son was tested in the gifted range, but I don't know his actual IQ score (our psychologist doesn't use that measure). He tested in the 94th percentile on average, and in the 98th percentile when his learning disability is discounted.

I understand it's fairly common for very high functioning kids to present as gifted. There are several shared traits of giftedness and Aspergers.

Juliusanime231
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm

Well, I tooked mine online so it might be messed up but my IQ is 99. I think I tooked a adult IQ test online so maybe thats why my IQ score might be "meh"-ish.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 1:48 am

Yes, you would have to take another test to find out what your IQ really is. It will be higher.

runswithscissors
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2008, 1:27 pm

My Aspie son (17) has an IQ of 135 but he has significant sub-test scatter in his performance areas (from 5 through 18). He is considered "twice exceptional."

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 3:29 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I'm pretty smart in most things, but the second you start talking math, it's like you've switched to another language that you wrongly assume I speak.

About the maths: the quote wasn't from my thread, but the point is that IQ is a bell shaped curve with most in the middle at 1oo (= average score). The curve flattens on both sides at a certain rate. You can chose different ways of measuring, so, for example, the point called 172 on one scale, is called 145 on another. A certain percentage of the population will be inside or outside this point, which ever scale you use. (Differences in choice of standard deviation).

SinginCowboy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2008, 2:33 am

Mine when tested by the school psycologist was 160, but online the best I can do is low 140s.