Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2008, 10:54 pm

Hi. As per some of my other posts in the last week, my 8 yr old AS son is having a few problems with zoning out and meltdowns at school. The teacher has been noticing a pattern that he tends to be really hot when it happens (especially after exercise or playtimes). Have managed to get the same reason out of him. This is quite weird because we are going into winter and he has had all summer without a problem. Does anyone else's child have this problem? I am not sure exactly what to do ie. whether the overheating is abnormal and whether I should be taking him to the doctor. Any suggestions?

kip
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:58 am

He might have a mild cold, it would make him feel overheated when only doing mild physical activity. It would also lower his ability to hold off the meltdowns.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

latreefarmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2008, 8:34 am

Our 5YO DD has meltdowns typically when she is very tired (sometimes after playing in the heat), very stressed, or very frustrated. Even video games we have to be careful with because of the excess stimulation. Her meltdowns don't get violent or anything, just uncontrollable crying sometimes accompanied by yelling in frustartion.
I would look for other factors which combined with the heat put him over the edge. Afternoon recess can do that to our child after a long day at school.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 10:58 am

My husband and son generally run really hot. When my son was a lot more "affected" (for lack of better word) he was like a boiler. In the middle of winter, he could sleep in our bed and we'd sweat. It seemed to be something related to their bodies working at a higher metabolism in an effort to cope with all the stimuli.
Husband actually had fevers as a kid, that came from nowhere. Pop hasn't had that. He doesn't seem to run hot anymore and hasn't had "meltdowns" in a long time.

It may be something in your son's body that is trying to metabolize all the stress. See if a cool drink of water or wet rag helps him calm down quicker.

PS I meant to add that I don't think it's related to external temps at all.

voss749
Raven
Raven

29 May 2008, 11:41 am

It has nothing to do with weather and most likely nothing to do with illness.

It is likely he simply is getting overstimulated during playtime and exercise.

A simple remedy, when he gets all hot...have his teacher let him get a drink of cold water
and wash his face with a cool wet cloth/paper towel...that also serves the purpose of moving him
away from the stimuli

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:37 pm

He's probably warm after exercising. My son always has to drink something cold after running around at all. But, giving your son a drink, might not prevent zoning out and meltdowns.

Zoning out and meltdowns at school seemed to be unavoidable in my son's case and I suspect others are like him. Some kids with ASD can make through the school days and others are much better at home and better suited for homeschooling.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:37 pm

He's probably warm after exercising. My son always has to drink something cold after running around at all. But, giving your son a drink, might not prevent zoning out and meltdowns.

Zoning out and meltdowns at school seemed to be unavoidable in my son's case and I suspect others are like him. Some kids with ASD can make through the school days and others are much better at home and better suited for homeschooling.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2008, 7:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It was particularly good to hear that stress could be causing it (rather than exercise alone), as that is what I think the main problem is.

jbollard
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2008, 12:01 am

My son is 7yrs old and when he has a meltdown, his face goes really red and sweaty with frustration and crying.

Could it be just that? - I could be wrong?

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2008, 12:36 am

My son LOVES heat. He never sweats. I was talking to him tonite about it and I have never seen him sweat. He is 12

I have to hide his winter clothes during the summer because he will wear pants, and long sleeves in 100 plus weather. He once threw on a sweatshirt to go outside to talk to somone and they asked "why in the world are you wearing a sweatshirt?"

I wonder if it was more the excitement too, and not the heat, altho I know a mom whose on the spectrum and her son is also on the spectrum and he has heat issue's. I think it's because people on the spectrum can't regulate tempature like NT's can...

I have to wonder if it goes both ways...
Lainie

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2008, 4:09 am

My Allaura was consistantly having meltdowns Thursdays after school. Turns out PE is last period on Thurs. She overheats easily, sweats a lot, and I think was just overstimulated. If I let her come home, get a snack, chill, kept the other kids away from her, and left her alone until she's come down from it, we'd avoid the meltdowns sometimes. You never know.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 9:46 am

I like cuddling with my aspie bf because "he's an ice cube." He likes cuddling with me because I'm "hot."

In the summer he's wearing tights, pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt and still shivering.

In the winter I'm in shorts, a t-shirt and still feel a need to put the car air conditioner on. I rarely go outside for longer than a few minutes may - early september because its miserably hot.

Until I recently got sick these past 2 months there was nothing more torturous than having my feet covered at night, even if they are only covered by socks, or 1 thin blanket. It didn't matter how cold it was, or even I was cold, my feet felt as if they were on fire. They are even hot to the touch. Its even worse if the blankets are tucked into the end of the bed. If I couldn't excpae from that heat I'm sure I'd be raging.

NayNay2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2008, 1:32 pm

I had never heard about this until reading this thread but it makes sense now..we have always joked and called my son Jaden "A hot box" b/c he's always warm and if he lays on you it makes you hot and sweaty. It kind of explains why he doesn't really like physical activity or being outside when its hot out b/c he turns bright red and over heated.

My sons teacher has stated that a lot of the kids in his class know what triggers his meltdowns and they of course go out of their way to make him miserable :evil: she tries to keep him calm but struggles b/c they then stare at him. OHH the joys of 8-9 year olds.

voss749
Raven
Raven

31 May 2008, 9:42 pm

The overheating is an effect of the stimulation not a cause....

Notice I didnt say getting a drink out of a bottle of water...
Going to get a cold drink from a water fountain...which also serves to remove
the child from the source of th overstimulation

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:16 pm

On other thing: Have you had his thyroid tested? The complete panel - tsh, t3, and t4. His getting so hot could be indicative of a thryoid problem.

You can test it with a simple blood test

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:05 am

annie2 wrote:
Hi. As per some of my other posts in the last week, my 8 yr old AS son is having a few problems with zoning out and meltdowns at school. The teacher has been noticing a pattern that he tends to be really hot when it happens (especially after exercise or playtimes). Have managed to get the same reason out of him.

This is quite weird because we are going into winter and he has had all summer without a problem. Does anyone else's child have this problem? I am not sure exactly what to do ie. whether the overheating is abnormal and whether I should be taking him to the doctor. Any suggestions?
I think it is normal for an aspie child as aspies often have issues with temperature regulation. Mum noticed whenever I had a meltdown I would be "burning up with fever".

Perhaps the exercise needs to be gentler so your boy won't overheat so much. I never liked strenuous exercise because of overheating. That's one of the main reasons I disliked sports times.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon