Anyone have a childs behavoir change after a spider bite?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 9:20 pm

My younger son Jake is nine and mostly nonverbal. Late saturday night he was bitten by a spider and Sunday morning he woke-up yelling his name and has been chattering almost nonstop for the last 2 days. Lost of words that have to deal with whats going on around him not random at all. Yelling at the pc when it wouldn't do what he wanted. "I Jacob <what they always call him at school> I want this movie now!! ! Work now!!" Then "I Jake I get what I want!" I love to hear him talk lol even if I can't help but think we've made him a think the sun rises and sets on him after hearing what he had to say yesterday morning. The unusual amount of speach has kept up threw the day at the doctors office we took him in because it's a realy bad bite.He told the nusre repelty that "I fine I leave now!" and there was "No need for that". He also told the doctor he was going now. Maybe something just clicked in his head or maybe it was something to do with the bite < not like I'm going to go look for spiders if it wears off>. Any way anyone ever hear of something like this before?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 10:14 pm

Wow! How interesting!

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2009, 12:43 am

Warning: This following is just idle speculation from anecdote. I have no evidence.

Somehow this may have triggered the perception of a need to communicate?

I started talking at age 6. Not because I could not, I just did not perceive any need for it. Only when communication without words did not cause the change I was hoping for did this trigger the need to communicate.

The sensation of the spider bite at the right time may have pushed the right buttons.

jenny8675309
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2009, 8:16 am

Hmmm...let us know if he keeps communicating like this! My son is always really calm when he's sick, but as soon as he's better, he's his usual AS self.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 10:13 am

hmm...'Spiderman?' :P

Seriously though, maybe he couldn't adequately express what he felt in a non-verbal way, as Meta suggested. :)

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 10:54 am

Jakes back to his old self today. More running around and laughing then sitting a yelling at the pc. He is as I type this running up and down the stairs tossing soft toys over the railing. I think I might have just heard a look out below lol. I'll let you know if he starts taking again after he slows down. I posted too soon he's back at the pc talking to it again. Today it's mostly about wanting to make pizza.

desdemona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2009, 10:47 pm

That is just weird. My theory is that the spider bite had a teeny bit of neurotoxin. At a very low dose like this it actually had a positive effect. I think there are some studies of very low dose neurotoxin. (There is precedent with low dose of muscular toxin like botulism. They use it in Cerebral palsy and it relaxes muscles, at a little higher dose it kills you.) It wouldn't be something to mess with!!

--des

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm

desdemona wrote:
That is just weird. My theory is that the spider bite had a teeny bit of neurotoxin. At a very low dose like this it actually had a positive effect. I think there are some studies of very low dose neurotoxin. (There is precedent with low dose of muscular toxin like botulism. They use it in Cerebral palsy and it relaxes muscles, at a little higher dose it kills you.) It wouldn't be something to mess with!!

--des

That might be it but noway would I test it. Lol I like my kid just the way he is it was just nice to know more of what he was thinking :)

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 3:18 pm

well, the bite has testest postive for mersa <no idea if I spelled that right> infection. So we've got to put him on suffer based meds. He back to his old self runnning nonstop and playing on the pc when he gets worn out.Ofcourse he can't go to school I'm gald we kept him at home for the last few day so they hopefuly won't have to shut down the school to disinfect. Speeking of that I need to get back on that in my house.

desdemona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2009, 10:41 pm

CRD wrote:
desdemona wrote:

--des

That might be it but noway would I test it. Lol I like my kid just the way he is it was just nice to know more of what he was thinking :)

No way, but a interesting little thing anyway.
BTW, I have heard of people "treating" MS and other conditions with bee stings. I was too squeamish to really watch about this.

--des

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 2:47 pm

Ok he back at school for the first time from the time of the first post and back to himself. No more long speachs just a word here or there for the last few days nad he back to tossing things down the stair and running nonstop. But he's happy and healthly what more could a mom ask for.

Laura12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2009, 8:15 pm

CRD wrote:
My younger son Jake is nine and mostly nonverbal. Late saturday night he was bitten by a spider and Sunday morning he woke-up yelling his name and has been chattering almost nonstop for the last 2 days. Lost of words that have to deal with whats going on around him not random at all. Yelling at the pc when it wouldn't do what he wanted. "I Jacob <what they always call him at school> I want this movie now!! ! Work now!!" Then "I Jake I get what I want!" I love to hear him talk lol even if I can't help but think we've made him a think the sun rises and sets on him after hearing what he had to say yesterday morning. The unusual amount of speach has kept up threw the day at the doctors office we took him in because it's a realy bad bite.He told the nusre repelty that "I fine I leave now!" and there was "No need for that". He also told the doctor he was going now. Maybe something just clicked in his head or maybe it was something to do with the bite < not like I'm going to go look for spiders if it wears off>. Any way anyone ever hear of something like this before?

Hi, yes I've heard of something like this in an article about a study by Dr. Andrew Zimmerman (I just googled it - see if this link works: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 2720071203). They've noticed when autistic or AS children get fevers, they lose some of their symptoms and are able to communicate better. Something about the fever helps them focus better or maybe helps the neurotransmitters. So the spider bite might have caused some kind of inflammation that had the same effect as a fever. Incidentally, my AS son recently broke his ankle and was the most social/focused ever in the days right after the injury. It's like the pain slowed him down/helped him focus on people. Don't want my son to get a fever or injured again, but I'm trying to figure out how to keep the socializing going!

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:02 pm

laura12 thanks so much for the link it would be nice if they some how use this information to find something to help our kids have better easier lifes. :)