Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 12:56 pm

You've gotten lots of great feedback and I agree with those that say its great to see happy, positive portrayals of autism!

liloleme wrote:
So if they do get older and dont like it I can always take them down.

Remember though - once you put them out there you may not be able to "take them down". You could remove them from Youtube but that doesn't mean they haven't been grabbed by someone and saved elsewhere. You know your kiddos best though and this is probably a pretty small risk.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:25 pm

I do kind of worry about my son getting older and being embarrassed....but not my daughter. Mainly because she adores herself, she cant pass anything that reflects her image without stopping to admire it :lol: . Also I have been open to my kids about their diagnosis, my daughter doesnt understand or know that she is different....which also drives me to make people more aware that autism does not equal bad or broken. I will probably post more videos of my daughter than my son unless he finds out and gets jealous, which is always a possibility.
Thank you guys for the feedback :) .

MsLeeLoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2010, 9:37 am

liloleme wrote:
I do kind of worry about my son getting older and being embarrassed....but not my daughter. Mainly because she adores herself, she cant pass anything that reflects her image without stopping to admire it :lol: . Also I have been open to my kids about their diagnosis, my daughter doesnt understand or know that she is different....which also drives me to make people more aware that autism does not equal bad or broken. I will probably post more videos of my daughter than my son unless he finds out and gets jealous, which is always a possibility.
Thank you guys for the feedback :) .

Maybe today's youtube correlates with yesterday's naked baby butt photos. I'd say the tube is less :oops: when showed to their future fiances hehe!

Kuma
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2010, 6:57 am

That is a wonderful idea. I think they would be enamored with the idea and that they would be thrilled when they could see themselves on the screen. Think of it as a tribute to them, the sweet side of Autism, and the way to educate others.

Facebook: Shiroi Tora

mommieof3asdangels
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2010, 9:20 pm

I like your idea, just be careful. I know what you are saying and understand your view point. But in a way I do understand why the "media" portrays the harder points of ASD. When my son was little not many people knew about Autism and that was really hard. Any public place I brought him, would for one reason or another result in a meltdown with him beating his head on the concrete! And people would stare and make rude comments, even when I would say, I am sorry he is Autistic and he can not help his behavior. Usually the response was he was just being a brat and I should control him better or don't let him get away with that, bad parenting and my favorite was always, you shouldn't bring him in here, he shouldn't be allowed! I even had social services called on me by someone at the clinic because he was in a meltdown and smashing his head on the floor and I was sitting on the floor doing a fireman's hold on him so he would not smash his head open! I have to say with the "awareness" of Autism now a days it is much easier to take my ASD 3 year old out, because when her meltdowns start as soon as someone hears the word Autism they instantly turn understanding. Heck I have had quite a few people identify her as Autistic on observing her! There are still a few "butt heads" out there but in general, the world has began to see Autism in a new and acceptable light than they did 10 years ago, than God! I do not look at YOUTUBE, is there really kids on there who's parents show them all "weird" looking? Those are some messed up parents, I like to dress my angels up, well the 14 year old likes to dress, like a 14 year old, but my little princesses are dressed as such, just because they have an ASD does not mean they should be dressed any different than a NT child. NOW THAT IS BAD PARENTING!! ! Good Luck with your YOUTUBE video :D .. please be careful though, a lot of "weirdos" out there!