introduction from mom, advocate and host of radio show

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

phillida
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2006, 2:27 am

I want to introduce myself to the group. I am mother of son with AS who was diagnosed at six years of age. I was grateful for finally finding out his actual diagnosis, as many "professionals" didn't have a clue. My son is now 13 years old, being home schooled since January (which he loves) as the middle school years were tough on him. While my son finally received the supports and services he needed (speech/language, OT for sensory issues, social skills training, diet and vitamins) it was a challenge getting those supports in the early years. I let the school district know that I wasn't going away and became known for advocacy work for others with ASD in our area. I organized the first walk for autism to raise awareness and educate the public in 2002 and again in 2003. I faciliated workshops and conferences with Future Horizons in Texas to help educate parents, teachers and staff that work with children and adults on the spectrum.
Two years ago, I founded the radio show I host, DisAbility News & Views, to provide resources, and interviews with guests including Dr. Temple Grandin, Dr. Tony Attwood, Dr. Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Rick Lavoie, Dr. Mel Levine, Henry Winkler, Josh Blue and many others. The radio show is my passion. I have paid to have the radio show aired at a local radio station and last year took the radio show to the internet so people all over the world can access live or past shows (available in Podcast). I want you to know that I am parent, advocate first. I try to help as many others as I can. The radio show provides me the opportunity to make a difference in some people's lives. I do not earn a living from hosting the radio show as my expenses costs more than the sponsors pay. This will hopefully change in the future.
I am going to be taking the radio show on the road with my son Alex in 2007 in an RV. It has been a dream of ours since the summer and now I have to put some action into the dream! We are busy looking for sponsors to help defray costs of this year long adventure, Taking it to the Street.
I hope you will join us and check the website frequently for interviews and more information at www.disabilitynewsradio.com
By the way if anyone has a son or daughter that enjoys PRO wrestling like my son Alex does, check out the radio show he started and hosts each week, Al's Wrestling Talk. He is broadcasting every Saturday at 7pm ET.
Thanks for letting me share.
Monica

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2006, 1:31 pm

Hello there!

So good to meet you - now can you please tell us where you get your energy?

I live just outside London, England, so I am not likely to run into you over in Texas. I am grateful for this forum because it give us an opportunity to swop notes.

Keep going for it!

phillida
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2006, 4:02 pm

Hi
I actually live in WNY area..
As far as energy goes, I guess I am driven to do what I can on the radio show and help make a difference. I have found as you get older (50's) you tend to want to do what you are passionate about. I am grateful for the gift of having my twins and my son Alex.