Do you think most parents don't really want to know what...

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2007, 5:07 pm

Aspie94 wrote:
it's like to grow up with ASD? I was on a board where I got banned for saying that once you are ASD, you always are and that even those who learn to "pass" tend to get very tired out doing it and need to rest, and are still not NT. That was the gist of it. I always think that parents of kids with ASD really don't want to hear what it's like. They want to think their kids will be NT--great job, spouse, kids, no need for any supports after high school or college, etc. I'm often hesitant to give advice these days because the parents have so far seemed to be unfriendly to adult aspies/ASDers on parent sites, even though I have a spectrum child. Since I basically post facts, void of emotion, that can come off cold too, I think. People told me to "cushion" my posts, but I'd be terrible at that if I tried, and I'm not really sure what cushioning means. People really jumped on me for stating that it isn't horrible to be ASD (one parent said it was worse than cancer because at least with cancer you die) and that you can't force an ASD c hild to be what he's not and that it should be accepted. Then I had parents cyber-yelling that I was in favor of letting it go. I didn't mean the children should get no help. I just meant the parents needed to accept the child, and his differences. I'm monologuing here, and I'll quit now :lol: Whiney post anyways!

I quote the whole and answer short:

I understand. They don't understand. A blanket has been lifted from the face of my ex, and from my face too, only beginning to poke on the surface of authistic spectral problems. I love my ex, sort of, but not enough to live with her, etc... The more my ex learns about AS and Authism she's just accepting "OMFG you have been undiagnosed for 20 years we've been together and managed to struggle with a life".

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2007, 3:21 pm

CelticGoddess wrote:
Angel_UK1 wrote:
Hi All, As a parent awaiting a diagnosis on my son for aspergers, I honestly can say I hate labels, I know asd's are labelled but once the label goes on thats how people refer to your child, "oh yeah the kid with issues".

On the flipside, i was a parent who was thrilled with the "label" because that was my foot in the door to get him the services he needed and deserved. ;)

Wow that is exactly why i was so glad for my sons diagnonsis so he could get the help he needs and deserves, he is a great kid and i would not change anything about him.
His personality is awesome.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 4:38 pm

daisydiana wrote:
CelticGoddess wrote:
Angel_UK1 wrote:
Hi All, As a parent awaiting a diagnosis on my son for aspergers, I honestly can say I hate labels, I know asd's are labelled but once the label goes on thats how people refer to your child, "oh yeah the kid with issues".

On the flipside, i was a parent who was thrilled with the "label" because that was my foot in the door to get him the services he needed and deserved. ;)

Wow that is exactly why i was so glad for my sons diagnonsis so he could get the help he needs and deserves, he is a great kid and i would not change anything about him.

Exactly. I was thrilled with my son's dx. It just helped me figure out more about why he is the way he is and I love every bit of him to pieces. He makes me look at the world differently and that's refreshing.

Maybe it's a Canuck thing. :lol:

js03
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2007, 8:32 am

CelticGoddess wrote:
daisydiana wrote:
CelticGoddess wrote:
Angel_UK1 wrote:

Exactly. I was thrilled with my son's dx. It just helped me figure out more about why he is the way he is and I love every bit of him to pieces. He makes me look at the world differently and that's refreshing.

Maybe it's a Canuck thing. :lol:

That's exactly how I've been feeling lately. My son isn't diagnosed yet, but I would love to be able to figure him out. The label doesn't bother me if it gets him help.