Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:27 pm

My 7 yr old son doesn't have too much interest in tv either. He would watch some of the cartoons when he was a toddler, and he did find some Singalong videos broken up into smaller segments that he was able to watch. My son doesn't have too much interest in all of the kid movies that come out. I know exactly how you feel. My son doesn't have very many interests in a lot of things. He doesn't play with toys very much and he doesn't participate in sports. I have to try and find things to fill up his day, and it would be nice if he could sit and watch a movie every now and then. Plus, I think going to the movies is a social thing that kids do enjoy together, so I have tried to work on this with him. Well at least I know I am not alone. Funny how some parents worry that their child watches too much tv, and I would just love for my son to just watch a little bit here and there.

zeezee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jul 2012, 3:30 am

I don't know if it's normal or not, but our 3yr old ASD boy isn't much interested either. We used to turn on baby einstein for him when he was younger to try and get a moment to eat our dinner in peace. Initially he wasn't interested, then he started showing a bit of interest, which grew over time to watching full shows (about 25 minutes). We would sit eating our dinner just relieved to have a moment of grown-up time! Now after dinner every night we ask if he wants to see Elmo, Wiggles, or Thomas. He'll choose one, watch for about thirty seconds, then run off. Baby Einstein is still the only thing that will hold his attention, so I reserve it for special occasions when we truly need it.... It has slow moving things on screen I guess. Oh, and also a bloody youtube video about a moose in a swimming pool... lol.... for some reason he can watch that all day. He will go up to the screen saying "water moose! water moose!"

piratecaptainloo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jul 2012, 10:43 am

Brother isn't like that, but my godson is. He's almost 4 and if you put on a movie for him, even something he loves and will put in himself, he will pay attention for a few minutes then off he goes to do something else. He will come back to it a minute or two at a time, but always moving around and looking for other things to do. He is dx ASD, but I'm not sure, either, if that's normal for a kid his age or because he's ASD.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 2:49 pm

I think its good to not be interested in watching t.v there are better activities one can do.

Brandin
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Have you tried getting your daughter interested in reading? Perhaps it`s too early to try, but it might work out well due to her differences. And books are generally better for entertaining for long periods of time.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 9:16 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hardly ever watch TV unless it's something that I really enjoy. TV just isn't something that interests me.

Same here. Only a handful of shows really interest me.

As for my 4-year old with ASD he only wants to watch something if it's educational or musical. For example, when watching Sesame Street, he only likes the songs and the skits about numbers and letters. If it's just the characters chatting, he is not interested.

BrookeBC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2012, 12:50 am

Thanks for the responses. Wish I knew how to use the 'quote' feature that everyone else does lol.

Unfortunately reading also is not a preferred activity. She's very musical so things with a rhythm like nursery rhymes or books set to a song, ie wheels on the bus, raffi songs etc, will keep her attention, but I can't get her into normal books. I'm trying to be creative, i'm Even using sing-a-long and kareokee to encourage reading, but come grade 1 we're not going to be able to sing all of her lessons. Obviously using the television as a babysitter is not a good idea, but there's a lot of good educational programming out there that I'd very much like to utilize.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:31 am

BrookeBC wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Wish I knew how to use the 'quote' feature that everyone else does lol.

Hi, the line below is the one from above, however I just put a space after the = sign below so it would prevent it from working correctly - so you can see how quoting is done.

[quote= "BrookeBC"]Thanks for the responses. Wish I knew how to use the 'quote' feature that everyone else does lol. [/quote]

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 5:28 am

BrookeBC wrote:
Anyone else have a kid with no interest or attention span for watching tv? I can hardly get my daughter to focus in on 3 min Elmo clip off YouTube, definitely not a full episode of Dora or anything like that. Is this normal? For aspires? Auties? ADHD?

My daughter prefers video games to TV, currently watches nothing on TV, but doesn't mind having the TV playing in the background.