Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

valerieclaires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2012, 6:38 pm

I'm still in love with Thomas, and I'm in college now! I kept liking a lot of the things I liked when I was younger much longer than other people my age, and they show no signs of going away any time soon.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

I am nearly 40 and I still prefer cartoons over "adult" shows. My kids like Thomas and I watch it with them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

Mine never liked Thomas the tank although we did watch it some, we watched all the kid shows. They each had their own favorites though.

My oldest's was the Power Rangers. We still have the original video taped Power Rangers shows. He's 23 now.

My oldest daughter's (18 now) was the movie Titanic. She watched that movie ten thousand times before she was 8 I think.

My youngest son's (17 now) was Toy Story. Twice a day at least for that one for him, although he never cared for the Buzz or Woody toys we got him, he carried around a beanie baby Tazmanian Devil.

My youngest girl's (15 now) was Dragon Tales.

They don't watch them anymore, they don't play with the toys associated with them anymore or anything. They still INSIST that we keep them though. Not in the attic either! In a box in the top of my closet, that's where! Every time I try to put that box in the attic, one of them looks at me like I'm crazy and says "Don't put that in the attic! What's wrong with you?!?!?!" Like I have suggested something completely outlandish.

My 18 yo, whose fiance lives with her here, still sleeps with her teddy bear she got when she was 8. His name is Big Bear. He is about three feet tall. She must have Big Bear. Big Bear went on their cruise with them last summer. Big Bear also serves as her main pillow and needs to be restuffed, if she can bring herself to let me perform that major surgery on him.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

They don't watch them anymore, they don't play with the toys associated with them anymore or anything. They still INSIST that we keep them though. Not in the attic either! In a box in the top of my closet, that's where! Every time I try to put that box in the attic, one of them looks at me like I'm crazy and says "Don't put that in the attic! What's wrong with you?!?!?!" Like I have suggested something completely outlandish.

My 18 yo, whose fiance lives with her here, still sleeps with her teddy bear she got when she was 8. His name is Big Bear. He is about three feet tall. She must have Big Bear. Big Bear went on their cruise with them last summer. Big Bear also serves as her main pillow and needs to be restuffed, if she can bring herself to let me perform that major surgery on him.

I still have a lot of my childhood toys. I recently took out a bag of old stuffed animals and was amazed at how small they were...

twinplets
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

My son loved Thomas when he was younger, but left it years ago. Lots of men love electric trains, maybe he will move onto those one day.

I just took the Thomas stuff out of the playroom and packed it into the attic. My AS son and his twin haven't touched it in years and their younger sibs never got into Thomas much. We made a new lego mat table top for the train table, so my son would have more room to build legos. Boy, did my AS son complain that night at dinner! I was surprised as it has been sitting and collecting dust for years now. I told him I put it away so they could pass it down to their kids. He reminded me he was never planning on getting married or having kids. So I said he could then be the fun uncle and play Thomas with his siblings kids. That made him smile and he was happy then.

I know NT adults men that still have their Star Wars stuff.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

twinplets wrote:
My son loved Thomas when he was younger, but left it years ago. Lots of men love electric trains, maybe he will move onto those one day.

I just took the Thomas stuff out of the playroom and packed it into the attic. My AS son and his twin haven't touched it in years and their younger sibs never got into Thomas much. We made a new lego mat table top for the train table, so my son would have more room to build legos. Boy, did my AS son complain that night at dinner! I was surprised as it has been sitting and collecting dust for years now. I told him I put it away so they could pass it down to their kids. He reminded me he was never planning on getting married or having kids. So I said he could then be the fun uncle and play Thomas with his siblings kids. That made him smile and he was happy then.

I know NT adults men that still have their Star Wars stuff.

Well, there's alawys Ebay!

My dad still has all his childhood Lionel trains and has them set up in the basement.

zeezee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

So it's common for ASD kids to like Thomas? I didn't know that.

For his second birthday I didn't know what kind of cake to make my son, so made a point of introducing him to Thomas the Tank Engine, just because the second birthday had made me aware that he had no interests to speak of, and I wanted him to 'like stuff'. I had no idea I was following a stereotype! So for his third birthday I made him a Thomas cake, and look at his wee face when he saw it, he did love it :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zestee/7464840852/

And maybe that explains why one of our local Autism organisations has a Thomas game to help with emotion recognition:
http://www.autismnz.org.nz/Autism-New-Z ... s-Game.php