Morning struggles with 4 y.o. with autism??? Overload... :(

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

zeezee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

Why are you making things so hard on yourself? Give her pancakes! A lot of people prefer the same thing for breakfast every day, it's not a crime. If you're worried about nutrition, ask yourself if she's getting good nutrients from the other daily meals. If she is, then what's the problem? She's a person, she gets to make decisions, and she likes the same thing for breakfast every day. So do I!

If you choose to persevere with other foods, give her two choices, and if she doesn't eat the choice she's made, then fine, don't force her. She'll soon realise she gets ONE breakfast, and if she doesn't eat it she's hungry until morning tea time. And be realistic, what's the harm in going hungry for a few small hours until morning tea time? She won't starve to death in that small space of time, and it will motivate her to eat her breakfast next time.

Being a mother is tough enough without trying to be perfect. When it's not harmful, then sometimes it's OK to take the road of least resistance.

Treysar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
Oh, sometimes I just sit and giggle...adding eggs, protein powder, or wholegrain flour to her pancakes...silly people! Don't you know that some kids will then refuse to eat the one thing that they would once willingly eat? LOL! What I learned from my daughter is don't change a food she is willing to eat unless you are willing to have her drop it as a food she will eat.

I am very envious of parents who are able to hide things in their kid's food. It has never worked here. When her eating issues were at their worst, I couldn't even switch brands. Still can't with some foods.

I am with those who say give her pancakes. Especially if you are having a day in which you just can't deal with it all.

My kids are like this! It's like the princess and the pea - they can tell if I alter anything in their food. I swear, I once put pureed zucchini in mac & cheese and it took 3 months before my son would try it again.

They have a small variety of food they will eat. The Dr is ok with it, so am I.