AS kids resistant to technology?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cruella
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2012, 8:59 pm

She could be physically sensitive to the touch screen.

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2012, 12:15 am

Hi again! I want to say thank you so much to everyone who has provided advice and support. Based on your suggestions I believe I am starting to make some headway with this issue. I think the problem that has made my DD afraid of the computer has actually been a combination of the things several of you have described here.

I have been confused because, like several of you, I have always been attracted to technology and the internet has been a great comfort to me. Even during the years when I was too afraid to speak up on forums just being able to lurk and read the words of others really helped me get by in my personal life and I did not understand why she would reject that. But in addition to the social demands she associates with the internet, I think she also has been afraid of causing harm to the equipment itself (spilling something or downloading a virus) and I think it is also a fear based on what several of you described, just too much new for her to learn and she has felt very overwhelmed!!

For the time being I am going to drop the topic of social interaction online entirely. My DD really wants to go to college so I am going to focus on teaching her to use MS Office (something she will definitely need to be successful in school.) That will at least get her used to navigating the desktop. Also, to get her interested in the tablet I bought her for xmas I have downloaded an app that lets her read a digital version of Entertainment Weekly, the magazine that she loves. This seemed silly to me since she gets the exact same thing in the mailbox every week but after reading the answers to my original post decided to try it and it actually seems to be comforting to her because she is so familiar with the format so she has already been trying it out.

We are going to take baby steps but I really believe this issue is already starting to improve. Thanks again for helping me solve the puzzle!

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2012, 5:13 pm

corastorm wrote:
For the time being I am going to drop the topic of social interaction online entirely. My DD really wants to go to college so I am going to focus on teaching her to use MS Office (something she will definitely need to be successful in school.) That will at least get her used to navigating the desktop. Also, to get her interested in the tablet I bought her for xmas I have downloaded an app that lets her read a digital version of Entertainment Weekly, the magazine that she loves. This seemed silly to me since she gets the exact same thing in the mailbox every week but after reading the answers to my original post decided to try it and it actually seems to be comforting to her because she is so familiar with the format so she has already been trying it out.

We are going to take baby steps but I really believe this issue is already starting to improve. Thanks again for helping me solve the puzzle!
That's great! The MS Office - really important, not just for school but for work later on. You wouldn't believe the number of people we hired where I used to work who said they could operate a computer, but didn't know any word processors, spreadsheets, some of them had never even used email.

Those really are necessary in a lot if not most jobs. So if she can get used to them while still in school, great!

It sounds like you have a good plan. :) Draw on her strengths and likes.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 5:20 pm

I do not own cell phone, I don't like the lack of freedom you lose when you carry one, When I am not home i'm not availible simple as that, there really a source of forced interaction and I don't like that idea at all, I can also remember back when no one had one, nice days very peaceful people were not always at at each others beck and call.

MizChiz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2013, 10:15 pm

I am an in-school aide for a boy on the spectrum and now that we have been together for so long, I am like his 2nd mom (he and has mother hired me after interviewing several people!). Technology is the bane of Ben's existence! Computer class at school is oftentimes frustrating for him for a couple reasons. First, they have Apple computers at school and he has a Microsoft PC at home... everything is different! Second, the teacher talks so dang fast he can't process quickly enough the sometimes 5-step directions she blurts out! Ben tells the teacher that technology is NOT his friend and she tells him he's doing great and wonderful. He then looks at me like he thinks the teacher is crazy! His parents offered him a cell phone and he didn't want it (he's 13 in 7th grade) although his twin brother has one he uses. The twin is not on the spectrum. His OT is trying to teach him to type so that he could use an iPad in high school to take notes (note-taking is a laborious task for him due to his poor spelling and slight problems w/ fine motor skills). I just thought I'd let you know that your daughter isn't alone w/ her lack of enthusiasm for technology. :)

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

I have AS and I hate, hate, hate most technology. I like my laptop because it's small and feels nice to hold. Won't use any others as they feel heavy and uncomfortable. Would poke my eyes out before using any of them flat thingies. Don't use a mobile as they're so confusing they make my brain melt. I have one now via the hospital specially designed for people with cognitive impairments which I use for emergencies but it's turned off most of the time. If it's on and anyone rings me, I completely freak out because it sends me into a panic..

JustKeepSwimming
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm

I think it might be just the communication side of it. Which of course can cause anxiety and fears. My DD looses interest in emails, starts off ok but then finds it annoying, l guess its the whole conversation thing, showing interest, asking questions. Her emails are always short and to the point(if she does reply). She is also afraid of Facebook because of the negative things that can happen and doesn't intend to join. Talking on the phone doesn't interest her most times, it has to have purpose. If a friend call her up she is quick on the phone sometimes, she needs to be in the mood to talk or if she is busy with something she wants to get off the phone ASAP.
So with your daughter it may be just part of her personality. My DD does love her iPod and the games, she is getting clever learning about how to use programs on the computer through school but before hand computers didn't really interest her.
Hope that helps :D