Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

16 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm

A few months ago my sons and I started Taekwondo.

My 9 year old and me got our yellow belt a few weeks ago. Our 7 year old and 4 year old are not ready.

We have such fun every week and enjoy practicing on each other at home :lol:

My 4 year old will run up to me ....... 'Jump front kick Mummy' and demonstrate his kick.

It took a few weeks for the instructor to adapt to their Aspie ways ..... one huge meltdown from one son convinced him that I wasn't just an anxious, overprotective mother.

We started Taekwondo after I read Quinn's book (he posts as Squier). Quinn has a blackbelt in karate - the closest karate school to us was too far away so we started Taekwondo.

We are going on a Taekwondo camp this weekend - we will train on the beach!

Helen

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2007, 1:38 am

I think that is a great idea! I can't wait until our son is old enough to take martial arts. Both my husband and I have done it separately in the past, and it is really therapeutic. I remember how much more organized my brain was back then when I was doing it.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 7:06 pm

Good idea....

I'll look at that for my kids too since team sports don't work for them.

We enrolled my oldest (7) in scouts recently and it's been working out very well.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

18 Oct 2007, 1:36 am

gbollard wrote:
Good idea....

I'll look at that for my kids too since team sports don't work for them.

We enrolled my oldest (7) in scouts recently and it's been working out very well.

Yes, team sports did not work for our sons.

They also go to Boys Brigade which is similar to scouts and they love it.

Helen

mollyandbobsmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2007, 9:37 am

team sports didn't work for my son either but he LOVES tae kwon do! We started him in an adaptive class, they still learn everything you would in a regular class but the instructor has experience working with special needs kids. He is not the only aspie in his class, there is a girl in a wheelchair, a boy with Down's, a boy with PDD-NOS and 2 other boys who either have asperger's or ADHD. Bobby loves it! his teacher is so patient but at the same time pushes him to do more. I think it's a great outlet for him to see what he can accomplish.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 7:50 pm

Smelena, thats awesome, i am aspie and now 27 yrs old. i took taekwondo too when i was a kid, i loved it too. got as far as a red belt, (couple yrs) and then of course i lost interest, cause they were doing the same stuff over and over. anyway good luck

Earthshine2112
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2007, 1:08 am

That's great to hear Smelena & others.

Our wonderful 6yo tried but didn't like little aths. Either martial arts or dancing is next on our list.

He's a self taught improv dance master (imo), however occasionally he gets a bit overstimulated when dancing and just starts twirling! :lol: We let him go for a while and then encourage him back to the improv moves.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

19 Oct 2007, 1:28 am

We're going on a Taekwondo camp this weekend! It's at the beach.

We train for 1 hour Saturday morning, 1 hour Saturday afternoon and 1 hour Sunday morning on the beach.

There are heaps of other activities during the day.

I love our Taekwondo school. It has a culture of helping each other. The others have been so patient and understanding of my boys.

I can't wait! The boys are really excited!

Also in about 5 weeks the Taekwondo school is going to a water theme park for the day. The boys are so excited.

Helen

tayana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2007, 10:49 am

I'm looking into getting my son involved with Martial Arts. He's been interested for a little while, and I think it might be good for him. I just have to find a good place.

I think it's wonderful, and I'm so glad to hear about positive experiences.

SuperSteve
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2007, 6:46 pm

I myself am training Kung Fu, and intend to do so for a good while. When or if I get kids, I plan to teach them early on. It will help them with discipline, teach them honesty and self-control, as well as enabling them to defend themselves. I think it is a great thing.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

26 Oct 2007, 6:12 pm

Hello,

Here are some photos from our training camp.

This is the boys beating me up:

About 75 people trained:

We had 3 training sessions: Sat morning, Sat afternoon and Sunday morning.

It was a fantastic weekend and we all had a great time.

We look forward to next year's camp.

Helen

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 5:39 pm

G'day Smelena

that looks fantastic. I also think it will increase confidence and to help develop a mental attitude "not to be a victim".

My sons and I are looking at doing Aikido (mainly interested in core strength and stability - they play rugby and already have an attitude that ensure they will not let themselves be a victim).