Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 9:48 pm

Anyone have child with Aspergers's diagnosis and average IQ score?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 10:15 pm

My autistic son scored average when he was diagnosed at 5.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 11:10 pm

Mine is 112, not anything to be too proud of, but at least it's in the top 10%

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 11:15 pm

My youngest AS son has an average IQ (112). My oldest AS son has a high IQ (138).

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2007, 11:18 pm

My son scored an average IQ (97), though the school psychologist thinks it's actually higher. He was pretty restless during the test.

Tsaryn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2007, 11:55 pm

I have Asperger's and mine's 150.

soljaboi51
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2007, 4:15 am

my mom refuses to tell me what mine is

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 5:19 am

Per definition AS means "normal IQ" which is IQ >70. Ay my son's school for kids with AS and a few HFA (like my son) the IQ range is from 70 to maybe 150 - a huge spread.
I ended up thinking "average IQ" was meaningless. My son has a typical autistic profile: way above on somethings, like math skills and calculation, (he is 9 and tested as a 16 year old) and way below on a specific language test (like a 5 year old 8O )
He ended up smack in the middle. But his IQ score is meaningless compared to an NT with the same IQ.

BTW - his teachers were surprised he score "so low". I wasn't. The two tests he did badly at were a language understanding test, where he had to explain very abstract words. (like "embaressment") He clearly understood the words, and was frustrated about not being able to give a clear answer. My explanation is that he thinks 100% visually, so I imagine having to translate an abstract word into a picture, and back into a word, was very difficult for him. The other one was putting a series of pictures in the right order in a story: again hard if you think in pictures, and hard if the content is social. The third test he did miserably at was puzzles: the tester said it simply bored him, and didn't see the point in using time on it:=
Who knows how he would score at a more classic Mensa type IQ test!

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:15 pm

My son scored above average on some subsets of a full IQ exam and below average on other subsets. However, he resents being tested in anyway and compliance was a big issue. He will gladly supply a wrong answer to keep things moving.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:51 pm

I have one lilke this too--eight-years old--his scores are very uneven--scored in 99% on some and 60% on other sections.

First IQ test showed gifted verbal and second one given merely above average scores with some in superior range. First was WISC and second was Standford Binet 5.

His latest achievement test, he scored 130 SS in language/writing. But 105 in math and comprehension. I do think these scores will change once again. It's the nature of our kids. He is very verbal and needs to explain his answers in order to process most efficiently. He also does best moving when he's problem solving.

equinn

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 1:44 pm

katrine pretty much describes my son's experience. I don't know how he would score now that he has so much language and reason to use it. I know he is above his grade level in many subjects, while his receptive language deficits still hold him back with getting work done correctly or on time.

nzfiona
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2007, 3:08 pm

People often say to me, "oh, S is very smart, but if he's Asperger's, that goes hand in hand, doesn't it?"

I thought that too, that there was a propensity for AS people to have at least an above-average IQ but it's not quite as simple as that. My son is clearly very intelligent, and people have been telling me this for years. I didn't agree at first, scared to be accused of seeing things that weren't there. But when he came out as gifted in an IQ test at 5 years 1 month, it was apparent to me that was was indeed a smart cookie.

However, in his testing for AS, the psych gave him a cognitive test of course, and the full-scale IQ came out at 13 points lower than the one 3.5 years ago. So he went from gifted to high average. Same test - Weschler - but for different ages so things that were tested varied.

The psych was a bit surprised but said it wasn't uncommon for AS children to show such a variance in IQ scoring, as the brain development in AS children is atypical and tests don't take that into account.

He was accelerated a year in school this year - due to an interstate move mid-year.....Gr 3 in QLD is the same as Gr 2 in VIC, but they don't put kids in grades according to the curriculum, they do it according to their current grade-level......not always a good thing. So he was a year younger than the others in his new Gr 3 class the second half of 07. However, he still managed to get the top marks in the end of year Maths and Science exams for his grade. That got him a cool plasma ball LOL.

He does poorly in creative writing, something at which his Gr 4 teacher and I will continue to look. I'm not that fussed as I was crap at that subject at school as well, but am a decent writer now, at least when writing about what I know, and don't have to invent it.

Fiona

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 3:40 pm

Funny you should say that - my son scored 20 points higher on his first test, too.
Maybe the tests become more abstract, so the AS kicks in and influences the outcome.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 4:36 pm

same on this end. the psych did say it was something to keep an eye on but she also explained it this way--that it becomes more abstract.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 3:18 am

I've tried to take online iq tests but I get bored after about 15 minutes.

And I'm the kid that signed up to take the asvab my senior year, not because I wanted to join the military, but because I enjoyed taking tests, and found it a wonderful way to pass a few hours of my day

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 8:37 am

Now there's supposedly a ceiling, but when they tested me at nine I scored 192. My brother scored 180. I think Aspies are very intelligent, they just need to be tested properly. For example before they corrected for his processing speed my brother scored a 104.