Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

omega
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2006, 4:53 pm

Court wrote:
Another factor is his obsession with time. The shows he likes to watch are right around the time we get home from work and want to chitchat, so it's like "can't you see I'm busy?"......is the constant monitoring of time an Aspie trait too?
As a kid I did not realize I had this time obsession, but if I had to go somewhere I always got there exactly in time (without knowing I was watching the clock, but I suppose I must have been). Usually I arrived within a minute of the expected time.

After people told me that it was not normal to be so accurate I have learned myself to arrive a litte late :-)
(I think I was about 16 then)

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 12:14 pm

Court wrote:
Yes, that's true. My aspie has always been obsessed with being on a schedule. As he's gotten older, he's learned how to better handle a situation when his schedule is disrupted, but he still hates it. Which is frusterating for me because there are so many times when things beyond my control make us have to change a schedule and he pitches a fit. But then there are days when he's totally cool with it and just goes with the flow.....guess it's just like the rest of us...good days and bad.

I learned how to just internalize it all, bottle everything up, and not show any emotion. My parents never tolerated negative emotions, anger, etc. from me so I had to learn to suppress it all to keep them off my case. I once saw an episode of Nanny 911 where the nanny asked a parent "How is she supposed to learn to deal with her emotions if they are always suppressed." That applies to me so well.

Of course, my older sister used to pitch fits and have tantrums all the time, even when she was 19 years old, and they never said anything to her about it. Never quite figured out why it was OK for her and wrong for me and my parents' favorite excuse of "she's a girl" never really cut it with me.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

fox1028
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2006, 9:21 am

My 9yr old son who has As, hates maths & refuse's to learn 2 tell the time but always seems 2 no when it's time 4 his t.v program or when it's time 4 his sports club.
We got J some meccano this xmas in a hope that rarther than destroy our house he will make things with his meccano, it's worked.J makes alsort's of wierd & wonderfull things, he go's into his own little world whilst building and it's pointless trying to talk to him while he's building as u get ignored. I have learnt J will come to me when he want's 2 interact, we will often be in the same room watching t.v or reading e.t.c & and not speak, i enjoy my qiuet time just like J.