Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

angelicgoddess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2009, 2:39 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Oh boy I wouldn't putt too much weight on what either the DSM or clinicians say. Psychiatry is pseudoscience. One of the main reasons for being pseudoscientific is its completely arbitrary nature. There are arbitrary reasons for inclusion or ruling something out, being mutually exclusive or not. They can’t justify their reasons because there simply isn’t the evidence for the most part.

i totally agree. I was diagnosed with ADHD but am more of an aspie if I let myself be.
I'm not sure AD and ADHD are actually different disorders. In my work I encounter a lot of students on the Autistic spectrum. It seems to me that AD and ADHD students share the same problems which they handle differently.

Both groups share more than they differ; het are overly sensitive to environmental influences, they both have difficulties with social interaction and language (a gap between performal and verbal abilities), both groups usually expose a lot of social anxiety. Yes ADHD and AD people handle this anxiety differently, for example ADHDers tend to fight more in case of a conflict and ADers might mostly flee or freeze. But differences in encountering danger is pretty much just something that differs in people; NT's too. Aspies usually don't like to look in the eyes of people, ADHDers frequently hear they gaze too much or too long in the eyes of others. You could say these are significant differences, but if you call these behaviors 'odd eye contact' both behaviors fit. Yes ADHDers are choatic and messy, but only because they lack the ability to organize. This ability isn't great in aspies, why else would they be so rigid? i know some super organized ADHDers too... etc etc etc.

Besides; ADHD without impulsiveness at all is highly unlikely; hyperactivity, daydreaming and excessive thought are impulsive too as in beyond the control of the person.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 9:52 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Consider this: Psychiatry on the whole acknowledges the spectral nature of things, but very little of what they do actually reflects this. If you allow different traits to be free moving through analysis, then that allows for the possibility that things may or may not be bolted together. If you assume traits are not free moving but bolted together, then you are unlikely to establish anything other than your fixed belief.

Exactly what I belive. Actually being on the Spectrum or If you want the greater spectrum of disorder in general, unless very special case (like a blond, blue eye, pale girl or a completly black, curly guy with a large nose), is more a matter of "you have something of this, something of this, something of this.." there is not a "single variation, duplication, erasion of genes" like for down syndrome or the like, and also in those cases there is a large variety. You can have ADHD, AS or both. You can have AS without major problem with concentrating in chaotic environment (I simply shout down every comunication with the world and go on for my way in many situation) or viceversa ADHD with hyperfocus. It's just "naming". Find the problem. Find the solution. I actually prefer a "one-step" solution. If you have a problem find an answer for that problem. Ask your children why he can't concentrate in class. He will give you the answer better than any label-diagnosis.

Mumto2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2009, 3:50 pm

Lainie wrote:
I posted this question over on the General board to see what info I might get but here is the situation.

Both my boys have been previously dx'd with Aspergers by more than one doc. But for School we had to get a new eval with a new doc and due to the Doc's "observations" it's only ADHD and a LD.

I know it's Aspergers, but it got me thinking. When is it ADHD and when is it Aspergers? I know they look so much alike sometimes but I am confused. Altho they will qualify for an IEP now (didn't before) my dh and I worry they will not get the exact services they really need unless there exact needs are identified. Even tho by law they have to fit the individual needs of my children, we all know SD's who don't work that way. (It's a very difficult SD to work with here)

So what are the things/traits that make it more than just ADHD?

Hi my son has been diagnosed with both. He has low attention, poor behaviour, very hperactive - very intelligent and a need to know the ins and outs of everthing, if I answer he will keep repeating my answer and say is this right, is that why. I sometimes wonder about both diagnoses and think maybe its the autism causing this, I dont think as parents we will ever be %100 about the diagnosis. At least we can ask for help and get to knwo our kids on the information we have though. Good luck x