Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 2:44 am

ouinon wrote:
How long has this term existed? Is it an ancient one, loaded with centuries of experience, or is it a modern phenomenon? I am beginning to think that it is not normal at all, but is the age at which food intolerances, which are present in up to 40% of the population, ( as in the case of fructose intolerance, for instance, which causes chronic intestinal problems, bacterial and yeast overgrowth, and blocks tryptophan leading to depression ), start having an impact on functioning.

There is defiantly some new phenomenon occurring with our diets in the last 20 years, adult onset diabetes, food allergies, not to mention how lazy we as a culture have become with the advent of the home pc and easy internet access, we are turning into couch potatoes, living off of empty calories and prozac to deal with mundane existence. I wish I was born in the 1800's seemed like people were healthier and happier, we are definitely meant to be working in the fields not siting in front of computers

FD
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2009, 7:26 am

I think she is testing the boundaries :wink:

She is now developing a sense of self, and has decided all for herself that it is way more fun to eat cookies, and not go to bed ! !!

Be consistant, she will continue to 'test' those boundaries, untill she gets the message that no matter how much she protests, that you will still follow through.

A good multivitamin might help put your mind at rest, while she goes through this phase. My daughter is now 32mths and has only recently started to have more 'manageable' behaviour ! !

As he approaches 3yrs she should be allot more compliant, hope so anyway :D xx

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 10:29 pm

FD wrote:
I think she is testing the boundaries :wink: ......it is way more fun to eat cookies, and not go to bed ! !! :D xx

Yah, well Lab Pet is still testing those boundaries. But don't concede just yet!

< Stayed up all night twice this week, ate just cold cereal on Tuesday - still ok, sort-of :shameonyou: >

However, on my behalf: I'm writing-up my research which is my imperative priority, with DEADline date pending (emphasis on 'dead' line) therefore, I'm allowed. At least that's what I tell myself....... 8) Testing those boundaries......

Lab Pet, feral Aspergian. Raised by wolves.

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2009, 9:56 pm

actual physical illness first. My child had acid reflux and it caused horrendous sleep disturbance. It also causes very picky eating. Of course, so do sensory processing disorder. Those two things are big red flags.

One need not have AS to have sensory processing or integration disorder.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 5:18 am

Is she teething? Both my kids would get really picky with food and have major sleep issues when teething.

Do you all eat at the same time? This helps if she can see you guys(mum and dad) modeling good eating habits. If she is grazing on snacks, she wont want a decent meal. Cut the snacks back and see how she goes. All that said, she wont starve herself if she cant have just the few things she wants she will eventually give in and have something else. Make her food more interesting, eg,give her a plate of food in the shape of a face made out of vegies and fish sticks.

As for the sleeping, is she doing enough threw the day? Perhaps she is getting over tired, maybe she is doing to much and may need to go to bed a little earlier. Or you could introduce if you don't do it already, strick quiet time for at least hald hour before bed. I would bath her, then quiet time ie; read to her or have quiet cuddles in a dimly lit room.
If all else fails; controlled crying, Put her to bed say good night etc then leave, let her cry for 5 minutes pop back in give her a pat tuck her back in, but don't pick her up and say good night again, slowly increase your time away. She will get it. If you have to, leave some softly playing meditation music on in her room. Enya always worked for difficult kids.

P.S Its all normal 2 year old behaviour.

I'm a mum to two and a qualified mother-craft nurse (child care worker)

Murrie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2009, 7:10 am

My autistic 5 year old boy has been sleeping great since he was 12 months. My NT daughter who is 3 is a horrendous sleeper! I have been up with her for 3 years. You would think it would be the other way around, especially since autistic children tend to have more sleep issues. I'm trying to think about strategies that might work for her but a 4am after 3 years, sometimes I just let her sleep on a cot in my room. It seems she might be scared in her room alone.

Also as was said, children go through developmental stages that would cause them to reduce sleep. After the skill is learned, they will usually resume sleep as normal

As far as food is concerned, alot of times, we as big parents overestimate the amount of food a toddler should eat. Try to google portion sizes for your daughter's age. It may be that one or two tablespoons of a particular food is considered an adequate portion. She may also be a grazer and eat consistently throughout the day, not eat 3 large meals. Because children's tummies are small, they need to eat on a more frequent basis with smaller amounts of food. Also, if you try solids first, then liquids last, the child might not be as full. Alot of times, milk and juice consumption first can reduce the appetite for food.

If you are REALLY concerned, there are food therapists out there that help with pickyness. They are generally speech therapists which specialize in this sort of therapy. I had to do this with my DS but he has alot of sensory issues and extreme pickyness - like never eat anything healthy, only junk food.

But your daughter sounds alot like mine. She would rather eat more healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables than what we consider "real" food. For example, she ate more green lettuce last night for dinner than her pasta and meatballs. Of course I would like her to eat the pasta for more calories but this is how she is. She does eat alot of beans - that might be a good food to introduce because they are fun to pick up and eat, and they are nutrient dense, healthy, and filling.

Also, you can think of it as: many kids who have trouble sleeping are gifted :)

Hope this helps...

RedHorizon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2009, 6:32 pm

Cannabis is a great medication for problems associated with autism. St. John's Wort is also another good one. When it comes to sleep problems for kids that are very young I really don't think there are any treatment options without running risks though.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 6:39 pm

RedHorizon wrote:
Cannabis is a great medication for problems associated with autism. St. John's Wort is also another good one. When it comes to sleep problems for kids that are very young I really don't think there are any treatment options without running risks though.

wow.. Cannabis? realy? 8O Please if you've got nothing productive to add to the parents discussion keep it to yourself, thanks and welcome to Wrong Planet

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 12:32 am

CRD wrote:
RedHorizon wrote:

wow.. Cannabis? realy? 8O Please if you've got nothing productive to add to the parents discussion keep it to yourself, thanks and welcome to Wrong Planet

He can't have realized he was giving that advice about a 24 month old ... can he? Sometimes people don't realize where they are posting; it depends on how they enter the forum.

RedHorizon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2009, 1:28 am

Sorry mentioning Cannabis or Hypericum probably is irrelevant. I just threw it out there because of my experience with using it to relieve sensory issues, OCD, and insomnia. I saw that this was about a 2 year-old and realized it's completely unrelated.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 2:26 am

CRD wrote:
RedHorizon wrote:

well, RedHorizon, the rest of the country is not like the Pacific Northwest, and some people get all bent out of shape when you mention herbal supplements. It is sorta like suggesting you feed your autistic kid gluten or casein to some people.
If they are resistant to learning about the medicinal benefits of cannabis, then they are resistant. People can be pretty invested in their opinions and I doubt if anything is going to change their minds.

Merle

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 6:16 pm

For an Adult I think it's a fine idea if it helps, for a child for behavoirs that are normal for the age no absoultly not. It would be like me giving a shot of tequila to my 12 year to help him go ask a girl out.