The last chance at shirt chewing...

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 9:31 pm

Go here get this http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/ ... site=10206 and then the cloth covers http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/ ... 206...just like shirt chewing only better

saliemcg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2010, 9:31 am

These are also available (thourgh the same company?) on Amazon. Has anyone tried them? I considered them, but discarded the idea basedon the product description. Thanks

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 1:33 pm

My kids use them and they work very well. My son was a shirt chewer but he now would rather chew on just the tube part without the cloth cover and he also does well with gum.
Oh, also if they dont like the bumpy cover on the tube you can turn it inside out. The tube is very strong but chewy at the same time...no holes yet. I also have a daughter who was eating her pacifiers so these hold up well.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 2:10 pm

My son gets into a lot of trouble in middle school for this. You might want to think about transitioning him to some other stim at some point, not right now with so many changes going on in your family, but down the road when it seems doable.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 4:49 pm

Gum chewing is in my son's IEP. Before he could be trusted not to swallow it, he wore a chewy tool. I love living in the future. :D

saliemcg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2010, 5:22 pm

This is such a great site! Ordered the chewy tube things from the site (better price than Amazon) Thanks. has any one tried spraying Warheads Sour spray on shirts/? I know some kids love it, but wondered if it would deter like the sour apple spray mentioned. I just don't feel right using a product made for animals on my child. I stood in fornt of the sprays at the pet store today and then chickened out...

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:26 pm

I understand the financial part of wanting the shirt chewing to stop but putting something on a kids shirt that tastes bad to prevent them from doing something that helps them to regulate is just cruel. Its like slapping their hands for flapping or stimming (which is what the chewing is btw)....they are kids, not dogs...I wouldnt even do that to my dog. Id give him something else to chew on. Sorry if I come off as a little harsh but think about what your doing.
I saw this thing in a kids magazine once, it was a plastic cover for their thumb to keep them from thumb sucking....to me it was just hideous!
I like the idea of the sweat band things to chew on...thats a good idea or try the chewease with the cloth covers....or go to wally world and get some cheap wash rags and let him take those to school with him. There are several other ideas Im sure you could come up with. Hes old enough that you can reason with him to use something other than his shirt to chew on. OK, Ill shut up now!