Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2011, 9:25 pm

thanks for the link. i did not see your post until just now. he does seem to be doing better at school as far as i can tell. he has been attacking that one boy, i'm not sure what he has against that kid but he seems to really be focusing in on him so the boy must have said something that is sticking with him but he won't tell me why. i will check out your link. thanks again.

CassandraD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2011, 4:41 am

Can you have a Functional Behavior Assessment done on him? It sounds to me like you need to determine WHY he is having the behavior so that you can come up with a plan to shape the behavior into something more socially acceptable. Is the behavior for avoidance, attention, sensory, tangible? Why is he doing it? talk to his therapist and the school about getting an FBA and a Positive Behavior Intervention plan.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

The Special Ed teacher actually told you that Autism is not a developmental delay??? What a moron!! !

Have you guys tried weighted vests with him? Not going to cure him but it make make him feel more secure. Sometimes the violence can be brought on by the anxiety. Weve talked (and even argued) before and I told you about my son who was early onset Bi Polar and had a lot of the same issues. I also have a friend who is raising her sister in laws sons. The mother was using drugs while pregnant with him and he has a lot of these issues as well. Its really hard to get a clear diagnosis and he probably does have co morbid issues. I also do not know the laws in Canada but he should not be kicked out of school even if there is some sort of mental illness....he does have the autism diagnosis so they should be working with you on both counts, not against you.
Put him in an institution??? shesh, what year are these people living in?
I have to give you a lot of credit because your post seem so much better than the ones you put up before. You really sound like you are advocating for him so Im really glad about that. Im sure this is really hard and I really wish these people who are supposed to be helping us with our kids get better educated not only on Autism but also on mental illness. People dont handle mental illness in children very well and they still look at the parents as if it must be their fault. I think he needs some very aggressive Occupational Therapy and he needs an aide with him who can handle his outbursts and meltdowns. Like I said, I dont know the laws there but I should think there are ways of scaring these people and it looks like you have found some....sometimes it comes down to that, too bad it does. When we first moved here to France we got to the point where we had to threaten these people to turn them into handicap services as both my kids have their diagnosis and we also threatened to call media in on it. Its funny how fast you get services when you get nasty isnt it? Even when we lived in the US our therapy center would always tell me that I had to be a "squeaky wheel".

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2011, 12:49 am

CassandraD wrote:
Can you have a Functional Behavior Assessment done on him? It sounds to me like you need to determine WHY he is having the behavior so that you can come up with a plan to shape the behavior into something more socially acceptable. Is the behavior for avoidance, attention, sensory, tangible? Why is he doing it? talk to his therapist and the school about getting an FBA and a Positive Behavior Intervention plan.

i had to google that as he has had so many tests done on him and so many forms filled out i forget what they are. yes, we have filled out those and made behaviour plan but most of the things on it are vague, like 'continue working to gain independance' or 'learn to identify feelings' and 'taking time to work off energy'. not all that helpful when it comes down to it, right?

i decided to go against the school board and try to register him in the special ed school on my own anyways. they are reviewing all of his test results and talking to the teacher and will get back to me tomorrow. hopefully he will get in as they have so many more services available and he isn't following the ciriculum(sp) anyways so at least he will be focused on learning social skills at school there more so than just trying to keep him busy.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2011, 1:04 am

liloleme wrote:
The Special Ed teacher actually told you that Autism is not a developmental delay??? What a moron!! !

Have you guys tried weighted vests with him? Not going to cure him but it make make him feel more secure. Sometimes the violence can be brought on by the anxiety. Weve talked (and even argued) before and I told you about my son who was early onset Bi Polar and had a lot of the same issues. I also have a friend who is raising her sister in laws sons. The mother was using drugs while pregnant with him and he has a lot of these issues as well. Its really hard to get a clear diagnosis and he probably does have co morbid issues. I also do not know the laws in Canada but he should not be kicked out of school even if there is some sort of mental illness....he does have the autism diagnosis so they should be working with you on both counts, not against you.
Put him in an institution??? shesh, what year are these people living in?
I have to give you a lot of credit because your post seem so much better than the ones you put up before. You really sound like you are advocating for him so Im really glad about that. Im sure this is really hard and I really wish these people who are supposed to be helping us with our kids get better educated not only on Autism but also on mental illness. People dont handle mental illness in children very well and they still look at the parents as if it must be their fault. I think he needs some very aggressive Occupational Therapy and he needs an aide with him who can handle his outbursts and meltdowns. Like I said, I dont know the laws there but I should think there are ways of scaring these people and it looks like you have found some....sometimes it comes down to that, too bad it does. When we first moved here to France we got to the point where we had to threaten these people to turn them into handicap services as both my kids have their diagnosis and we also threatened to call media in on it. Its funny how fast you get services when you get nasty isnt it? Even when we lived in the US our therapy center would always tell me that I had to be a "squeaky wheel".

he has a weighted vest which i made for him but he doesn't like wearing it and refuses to put it on at all for the school.
and thank you for noticing the changes i've been trying to make. it has been a frustrating road, i tell ya. i still have a long way to go but i find i'm much more patient with him now and i have pretty much decided i don't care what his father thinks and i will just ignore how he treats him and treat him my own way. he still seems to hate me most of the time and has all the same behaviour problems pretty much. i just chose to detach myself from that somewhat so that i don't get upset about it anymore, ignore what i can and deal with what is dangerous. i find it really irritating that people don't know anything about autism or about mental health issues in kids. especially with the proffesionals who deal with it on a daily basis. i am just trying to open whatever doors i can for him to help him progress at this time. right now he's in a school environment where he could learn if he chose to but he fights it and he refuses to even try to do the work. he needs to be taught a different way. we had him off his meds for a while after a health scare and i realized when he went back on them how much worse it could actually be than how it is and am greatful for the progress we have made so far. he is also getting older and time is going by fast. it's hard to beleive he is 6 and my other kids are getting so big. i don't want to waste all of our time upset and struggling with this, i want them to have happy memories of their years with us.
this summer should be interesting. we are moving to a new house, in a new city and new schools for all the kids...yikes. i will update when i find out if he qualifies for the special ed school or not.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

well the special ed lady who wanted to put my kid in a psych ward has blocked the special ed school from getting information on my step-son. no big deal, i got another agency to fax them the info. i will have to wait until tomorrow to find out.