Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

momsparky wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:
So shy, in fact, that she avoids eye contact...hmmmmm.....

LOL - Awesome! How sweet!

I agree! :)

I haven't been around her enough to really know anything, but her eye contact is definitely outside of the norm and she is at least a bit awkward. But she is very sweet and definitely has no intention of doing anything mean to my son, and that is what is most important to me! Happy mom!

Also, her mom asked if he had any allergies before handing over the cookies they brought with them. I have only found that moms of kids on the spectrum or with severe allergies ever even think of stuff like that.

BTW, my son is like a heat seeking missile with undiagnosed kids...is anyone else's kid like that? Whether it is school or summer camp, he has always found the other kids who are a lot like him. In fact, one time it was funny. One of the moms from summer camp once called and asked if we would meet them at a park. While we were there, she just openly said to me "I was so relieved when I realized how socially immature your son was! It am so happy that M will have someone to hang around with and not be judged!" I think some people might find that offensive, but I didn't. I too felt relieved and I felt relieved to not have to worry about trying to explain away things to another kids mom. When it was time to leave and both of my kids had a major meltdown, she just looked at me, smiled, and said "We'll have to do this again soon!" No judgement, no uncomfortable looks or sideways glances at my kids. Just a warm, open, friendly smile.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 5:34 pm

Confirmation. Her mom just told me that before she went to school here, she was in Spec Ed. So, of course I don't know what for, but I can kind of guess.

She really is sweet. I am so relieved she is not some manipulative mean girl.

My son is very happy. He believes he made a good impression! :)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 6:01 pm

Nice to read :)

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 6:10 pm

YourMajesty wrote:
Nice to read :)

Thank you! It is nice to be able to share a little triumph here and there!

It restores my faith in human beings and reminds me that there really is hope that my kids will find their way in life and find people who care about them and accept them the way they are.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 7:11 pm

:D :D :D

None of it will keep him from maybe getting his heart broken someday if not now, but it helps the odds when our kids pick their friends well.

My son hasn't been that attracted to other ASD kids, just "quirky" kids who maybe have a tiny bit of it, but my NT daughter seems to find them.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 9:11 pm

Hee Hee I am giddy for you. This sounds really great.

miss-understood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2013, 7:27 am

Big smiles here too, yay for everyone! :bounce: :sunny: :flower: :cheers:

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

I love it when stuff like this happens. Good luck! :)

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 5:56 pm

A girl is interested in your son? Yay!! ! I'm so happy for him. I hope the best for him, her, and you. :-)