Problems with prolonged periods of writing.

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2007, 2:21 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
The bit that confuses me is that my hands and arms aren't weak. I fire steam locomotives, operate canal locks, and can open jars and bottles which the womenfolk say are far too tight.

It's just writing (and to a lesser extent, typing) which hurts. I think that's because it's the only activity which requires repetitive movements of the hands without changes in shape (the 'posture' of the hands, so to speak). That's my best explanation so far, anyway.

Regarding the former activities - you are generally using your larger muscles and motor control (except for the bottle opening which I assume is an occasional thing) and so you wouldn't see the same problems as with handwriting, which requires smaller muscle groups and small motor control.

As to the dyspraxia vs. dysgraphia - dyspraxia is much more a global dx, covering multiple body systems. Dysgraphia refers to the issues with organizing thoughts and the actual act of writing. With most schools, to get an alphasmart or other keyboard-type accomodation, a dysgraphia dx would be required, not dyspraxia.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2007, 3:28 pm

ok but, dysgraphia isn't present in much autistics, dyspraxia is so i don't know what that phyc's on

Stop talking trash

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2007, 4:53 pm

Actually if you read the posts here, and go back to old threads in the parent's forum, you'll find that dysgraphia is quite common in folks with ASD's. Especially Aspergers.

Unfortunately many children also fail to get proper diagnoses, and parents and educators push them to do better when they are simply physically unable to do so.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2007, 9:00 pm

yeah, but most i'd say are getting wrong dignousises

Stop talking trash

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 5:55 pm

My fingers used to ache something awful back when I was in elementary school from having to write too much. Eventually, I developed a monster-sized writer's callus, and the pain stopped. The body adapts. lol

FilmDad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2007, 12:35 pm

Our 12 year old has always had problems with writing. The answer we found was the computer. We gave him professional typing lessons when we was about 10 and he is able to type so much faster than he can write. He will write when forced to but his handwriting looks like a 1st grader rather than a 7th grader. The IEP at school gives him the ability to type many things and his teachers have to give him printed class notes rather than him having to write down everything notes wise.

TLadyVan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2007, 9:28 pm

My 11 yr old gets tendonist from writing alot. We have found that it is due to his SID. He holds the pencil really hard due to not being able to feel the pencil. He has broken pencils while trying to write. He uses muscles up to his shoulder. The OT told me to put on a pair of my thickest winter gloves and try to do daily activities. This is how he feels everyday.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:47 am

solid wrote:
see about getting him a laptop or alphasmart as i say his handwriting isn't that good either right?

What he said, there is no point in making it write when it is so hard for him.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

JDM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2007, 4:02 pm

I always had trouble writing as a child. It became painful quite quickly, especially if I had to write in cursive, so i avoided writing as much as possible. It baffled my teachers (this was before Asperger's was being diagnosed) , because in class discussions I would talk a great deal, but my essays would always be extremely brief.

aspimomx2
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2007, 9:50 pm

Thank you everyone for confirming my suspicion! My 11 yo son has this problem. He will verbally give a elaborate answer and then he will write it down and use like 5 words. The school is really pushing for him to write more . We set it in his IEP. Thats all well and fine but then a crazy thing happened at school. My son fell in P.E. class and broke his wrist on his writing hand. He was overjoyed in a way b/c he thought no writing for 6 wks. But the Dr. insists he write and I have the principle calling my house saying he doesnt want to lose 6 wks of IEP goals! Tryed to explain to Dr. says all kids can write with a cast up past thier elbow! They have been SOOO helpful! This has been a constant source of conflict with my son making a difficult stuation of even coping with the cast itself even worse.

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2007, 11:55 pm

aspiemomx2, have you tried to get your son to write with his other hand? It might not be beautiful, but he *might* be able to do it.

When I couldn't write with my right hand, I was able to manage writing with my left instead. I found out that I drew beautiful pics with my left hand, but my writing was a bit weird looking.

aspimomx2
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2007, 12:30 am

Thanks Beauty. I acually bribed him to try left handed and it wasnt much worse than his regular. It looked alot better than my left handed (which looks like a 1st grader).My daughter who is also an aspie is a lefty but can write a little with her right.I wonder if there is an aspie preference or a high incidence of abidexterity.? Anybody have a therory?

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2007, 12:58 am

I never really thought about it before but it would be really interesting to know.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:06 pm

aspimomx2 wrote:
Thanks Beauty. I acually bribed him to try left handed and it wasnt much worse than his regular. It looked alot better than my left handed (which looks like a 1st grader).My daughter who is also an aspie is a lefty but can write a little with her right.I wonder if there is an aspie preference or a high incidence of abidexterity.? Anybody have a therory?

Hmmm my dad who is a reformed left-handed person (hence made to write right-handed) has some aspie traits and my mom (who also has some traits) who is left-handed also can write pretty good with her right hand I think. Though I think it is more common for left-handed people to be abidextrious then right-handed so don't know if that helps much. What I am wondering is maybe he never really was right-handed but just mimiced others that way, might explain why it hurts so much, though then again I am no expert.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

aspimomx2
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2007, 5:15 pm

Solid wrote about dysgraphia (I must say I am quite impressed your a really smart kid) so I looked it up and was suprised what it said . Is is common in autistic spectrum.Its linked to fine moter skills ect. But also vision problems.Both of my aspies have lazy eyes . My son who is right handed / has a bad letf eye . My daughter who is left handed has a bad right eye. So between vision problems, fine moter skills and problems org thoughts and eye hand coordination know wonder its so hard for them to write. Does anybody else having diff writing have any dx or undx vision problems? Now I feel bad tyring to make my kids do something thy are physically incapable of.maybe. Although Im beggining to think my kids school would still make them run the mile in gym even if they only had one leg!! ! Check out def. of dysgraphia on Wikipedia.com. and info on educational vision testing by a behavioral optometrist.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 6:10 pm

My son struggles with writing, he is much better at typing... I homeschool him so we do a lot of work out loud.