Please help with using Collaborative Problem Solving

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 7:33 am

Yeah, take-out is definitely an option. I guess my issue is that I am trying to go from a cobbled together non-system that I have fine-tuned over the years to something that involves him actually having come up with possible solutions as opposed to me doing it.

What I mean to say is our current system involves me basically taking what I need/want him to do (or not do) and put the issues into three piles. One pile is the stuff that is easy and what we use some form of what Dr. Green would call plan A on. (You know, what most parents do.) The other pile looks a lot like Dr. Greene's plan C, which is all the stuff that we have decided not to push for a variety of reasons. That pile would be what Dr. Green would call Plan C.

The third much smaller pile is what Dr. Greene would say to use Plan B on. They are things that either I have prioritized and think are important to work on, or things I think are low-hanging fruit and we have a good chance of making progress on.

If you are still reading and not bored out of your mind yet, then I will tell you that our Plan B pile is not worked on normally the way Dr. Greene would say to do it. There are some things in that pile that I use little bribes for. Do x important thing and you get a point, 7 points=reward. etc. That works on some things where I just need an extra little bit of motivation. Many of these things are things that lend themselves to habit and after the special clearly labeled, finite promotional period of point earning, I hope become habit.

Then there are other things I have been doing prior to reading about CPS as a half-measure kind of Plan B where I guess on things that will be effective compromises and float them by him. Generally, this was done an on emergency basis more so than a proactive basis. He has not had the communication skills to participate in the more open-ended type questions and he gets overwhelmed by too much choice.

His communication has improved a lot, so I finally bought Explosive Child, this summer and am attempting to see if I can get the collaborative part to work, now. We had the restaurant discussion on an emergency basis, but I would like to think this out more and get suggestions on how to proceed before I try the proactive method. He still has issues with open-ended questions, but I would like him to learn how to explicitly compromise. That is the main lagging skill at the heart of this, I think. Maybe we are not ready, though. We have practiced sharing, and he will share willingly and happily. He is better at taking turns, with us, anyway. Compromise? Not so much. Are there foundational skills I am missing?

Last edited by ASDMommyASDKid on 29 Jun 2014, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 7:57 am

Just to add more for those not afraid of TL:DR posts, I thought I might give some background on the food issue. Feel free to skip it. :)

My husband and I were both raised in different cultures, but both had parents with a Plan A view on meals. You eat what is made, or do not eat. You go where your parents take you. The end.

My brother and I were both in retrospect picky eaters. My mother was an awful cook, and my parents bought weird food for uncooked meals like breakfast and packed school lunches. I literally hated almost every meal served to me. I thought about this last night and I honestly do not know how we managed to get enough calories in us b/c we hardly ate was was given to us, especially my brother, (And I wonder why my metabolism is messed up--LOL) My husband would eat food he didn't like, b/c he was hungry just like regular kids are supposed to do. My brother and I would eat very little when it was something we thought was gross.

Anyway, my son is not served disgusting food(I like to think), but he had/has a ton of sensory issues and so was way more picky than either my brother or I, even. If he didn't like it or something about it grossed him out, he would not eat any of it. He ate only a few foods.

I was worried about him getting proper nutrition, he was on the skinny side at that time, as is; and so I made him separate meals so my husband and I would not be constrained by his extremely rigid preferences. I understood that I was setting up a pattern where he would feel entitled to special treatment, but it was a risk I felt was worth taking at the time, given our circumstances. We kick the can forward, sometimes.

As far as restaurants went, he never wanted to leave the house, so it was not a reward at all, and we used the bribe method to get acceptable behavior when it was realistically possible to take him to restaurants. Mostly he still did not want to go even with bribes. Eventually he became more comfortable, but we were very limited to where to go. Again we set ourselves up for him to feel he has a lot of input.

So, as to the power/getting his way issue, it is not a power thing so much as he is accustomed to the accommodation. We have told him tales of the olden days where mom and dad went where our parents told us, and that he should be grateful he has more input that we did but that is abstract to him.

His social skills are very, very low and even if someone were to invite him to a playdate with a meal, he would not pick up that other kids do not get to pick what they eat. Currently he eats better, and we serve him what we eat, but if he has a visceral reaction and won't eat it, we still make him a cheese sandwich or give him fruit after we are done eating. We are Ok with that right now, and have dumped that in Plan C, but it still adds to the normalization of thinking it is fine for him to decide these things.

So on the one hand I know it looks like we created a monster with this, but on the other hand he does have real sensory issues that we try to take into account. I cannot have him not eat b/c he really wouldn't, although most people out in the real world do not believe me when I tell them this.

This is also the first time that he is comfortable enough with not being at home where he -wants- to go to a restaurant, but it is only if it is the specific one he wants. If we say we will otherwise stay at home, he is OK with that too, b/c he would rather eat at home than a second tier place.

Way too much information, I know.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 8:38 am

This is a very interesting and informative thread, thank you in particular for the detail. Hearing your thoughts and experiences creates a rich point of comparison with my own and this is setting off all sorts of useful lines of thought. Emilemulder's post is also particularly helpful in framing some of the meta-issues around these arrangements and the communications that are required to agree on decisions.

We almost never go to restaurants anymore, unless we can see that we can sit far from others, because of my son's issues with people's mouth noises.

I am trying to teach him to control his expression of emotion when he encounters such offensive stimuli. I tell him that it's OK to feel the way he is feeling, but that it is unfair not to consider the intention and feeling of others. In particular, he feels assaulted when someone smacks their lips or chews with their mouth open. I am telling him that I understand that it feels like an assault but that he has to understand that it is not one and that the motivation of other people is critically important. If they are doing something and it bothers you, remove yourself from the situation and do it without expressing anger or rage.

We also go through the "my way or not at all" options when we try to decide on what to eat or what movie to watch, etc.

It just happens that I picked up the mail just before reading this thread and skimmed through the IEP report that came with it. I noted that he was mostly listed as maintaining and in a few places progressing but not progressing in a few key areas including making eye contact and communicating emotions.

It is very clear to me that a big problem for him is not being able to guess at other people's intentions, so not knowing if a gesture is neutral, friendly or hostile. and not being able to communicate feelings with subtlety or precision.

These deficits create a sort of negative amplifier in these sorts of negotiation over food or film choices. He thinks his sister wants to watch Japanese anime just because she knows he doesn't like it. He really doesn't see that her primary concern is over what she does like, not over his feelings. So he thinks of her expressing her preferences as a kind of attack and thinks some sort of retaliation is an appropriate response. He also has trouble explaining why he doesn't like things or what he is feeling when he is upset, and if he doesn't fairly quickly get his way he tends to respond by a sort of philosophical defeatism, ("sigh, I guess I just never get my way") or a little tantrum (stomping off and rushing up the stairs to his bed, muttering angry words under his breath.)

This is starting to have a negative effect on his few friendships. When his buddies want to do something that he doesn't (e.g., skip through the cut scenes in a video game, he may stomp up to his room and rage. They will wait him out for a little bit, or just leave. I was in the kitchen washing dishes and tidying up the other day when this happened and one of his friends said to me, "is he all right? Is he coming back?" I told them that he was getting his feelings together but that he would be back, but it was painful to see his only real friends taken aback in this way.

It seems to me that the vital skills to work on this summer are perspective taking, communicating feelings, and exercising in-the-moment self-control. These are foundational to the kinds of collaborative decision making you are describing, to maintaining friendships and to progressing at school and in later life.

This is a dependency tree. You can't pay attention to the people around you or the impact you are having on the people around you if you are immediately lost in your own reactions to things with no self-control. You can't communicate appropriately if you don't have some model of other people's motivations. You can't communicate effectively if you don't know how to express your own feelings and tune that expression to the state of the people you are conversing with.

If you can work those three skills, you can agree to go to a mexican restaurant with your buddies and watch a movie they all like but is your third or fourth choice. If you can't work those skills you won't be able compromise on anything and there won't be friends asking you to come with them.

This line of thinking has sort of mapped out the growth we need to cultivate this summer and beyond. Thank you for creating this thread and catalyzing these ideas.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 9:10 am

Adamantium wrote:
It just happens that I picked up the mail just before reading this thread and skimmed through the IEP report that came with it. I noted that he was mostly listed as maintaining and in a few places progressing but not progressing in a few key areas including making eye contact and communicating emotions.

Still not understanding this obsession with forcing people to make eye contact.

Quote:
This is starting to have a negative effect on his few friendships. When his buddies want to do something that he doesn't (e.g., skip through the cut scenes in a video game, he may stomp up to his room and rage. They will wait him out for a little bit, or just leave. I was in the kitchen washing dishes and tidying up the other day when this happened and one of his friends said to me, "is he all right? Is he coming back?" I told them that he was getting his feelings together but that he would be back, but it was painful to see his only real friends taken aback in this way.

One thing I learned very early on is that often the cost of sharing an activity with others is the loss of the enjoyment of the activity. It becomes more about the other person than the game/movie. If the guest does not have anything to offer to replace this, why would you continue to spend time with them?

Quote:
This is a dependency tree. You can't pay attention to the people around you or the impact you are having on the people around you if you are immediately lost in your own reactions to things with no self-control. You can't communicate appropriately if you don't have some model of other people's motivations. You can't communicate effectively if you don't know how to express your own feelings and tune that expression to the state of the people you are conversing with.

This is all true, but you seem to be suggesting that these things can be changed. It will always be hard work spend time wih people and not particularly rewarding.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 9:52 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
So on the one hand I know it looks like we created a monster with this, but on the other hand he does have real sensory issues that we try to take into account. I cannot have him not eat b/c he really wouldn't, although most people out in the real world do not believe me when I tell them this.

I believe you! One of my kids did stop eating- he was 3 at the time- and everyone said he wouldn't starve himself, he'll eat when he's hungry, blah blah... he started losing weight, finally people agreed that he was in fact starving himself... My oldest son (the one I was just talking about when he was 3) goes through phases where he only eats one food. In that case, I do allow him to only eat that one food, because he won't eat anything else, and he usually gets bored of the food and won't touch it anymore after a few weeks.

Normally what I do with my kids (my other kid doesn't do the extreme-will-only-eat-one-thing behaviour, but he is very picky), is have a "schedule of food". My younger son especially, does very well with a schedule so he knows what to expect. He knows he's not having peanut butter toast every day for every meal, because he looks at the schedule and can see he is having peanut butter toast on Wednesday for breakfast and he's having other things for the other meals. In my house it's not collaborative; I announce that this what we're eating this week. They don't technically get any say, but I do make it with their preferences in mind.

With your situation, you could say these are the days we are eating out- which one of these days would you like to go to your favourite restaurant? With my kids what I'd probably do is have the the days listed with a space next to them and cut out papers with each restaurant option on it, so they can match the restaurant to the day, but you visually see that the favourite restaurant is only there once, because there's only one paper.

Not sure if any of what I wrote is remotely hopeful, but there it is. :lol:

EmileMulder
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2014, 10:11 am

Adamantium wrote:
if he doesn't fairly quickly get his way he tends to respond by a sort of philosophical defeatism, ("sigh, I guess I just never get my way") or a little tantrum (stomping off and rushing up the stairs to his bed, muttering angry words under his breath.)

One trick you may want to try is from CBT it's called hypothesis testing. It's used for people with Anxiety and Depression, because their cognitive biases blind them to contradictory evidence even though they're surrounded with it. So you actually collect data and try to prove to them that they're wrong.

The reason they're wrong is that their brain often ignores important things: in your son's case, other people's perspectives. So although he notices every time he doesn't get his way and someone else gets theirs, he probably doesn't notice when other people put their own needs on hold to accommodate him. Maybe if you made a chart with him and explained that you wanted to test it with him, then really point out every little moment where someone bends over backwards for him, he'll start to see things a little differently. In CBT the goal there is for the person to understand their own biases and then learn to adjust. So if I tend to think "people never do anything for me." I can learn to think - "actually people do stuff for me, I just have a hard time noticing it."

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 10:28 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

Still not understanding this obsession with forcing people to make eye contact.

So here is the thing with eye contact.
I went through many sessions with a school counselor about this in fourth and fifth grade. I had not thought about this issue in years, until my son's diagnosis and my research into autism.
I have problems with this, but I don't usually think about it. When it intrudes, I am just really uncomfortable and it becomes something that disrupts my ability to attend to the person I am talking to. But this much is certain--culturally it is A HUGE ISSUE. Not looking people in the eyes is almost always interpreted as a sign of bad things: lack of interest, lack of preparation, boredom, hostility, or a disturbed state of mind.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolkinsey ... e-contact/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPfj6XE67V8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdDdS5aZMM
Recalling the therapy that I had and the moments I still experience when it gets to be too much, the whole thing is extremely unpleasant. And it's unpleasant in the way of contact with extreme heat or an electric shock. So learning how to manage it so that it doesn't have a negative impact on professional and social prospects is a very good idea.

Quote:
One thing I learned very early on is that often the cost of sharing an activity with others is the loss of the enjoyment of the activity. It becomes more about the other person than the game/movie. If the guest does not have anything to offer to replace this, why would you continue to spend time with them?
So this is the thing, these people are not "guests" but rather "best friends." To a considerable extent, being together is the primary activity and the game or movie is a vehicle to support that. My son is well aware of this. He will say, "I want to play a game with my friends," not, "I want to play a game (and it would be OK if some other people did it at the same time as long as they don't interfere)" Sometimes when his friends can't come or choose not to come, I offer to play with him and he tells me that he really wants to spend time with them. This is why any behavior on his part that damages those relationships and reduces the likelihood that they will choose to come over or invite him over worries me. These relationships are really important to him and his well being.

Quote:
This is all true, but you seem to be suggesting that these things can be changed. It will always be hard work spend time wih people and not particularly rewarding.
I think that he can learn skills which will make these interactions more successful for him. This is my goal as a parent. I know that I had the same issues and I found ways to overcome them enough that I have a job and a family. I hope for the same, or at least happiness, for him.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 10:29 am

I'm still a newbie in trying to use collaborative problem solving. I've listened to almost all the podcasts. I've only made a few attempts, but I have found I needed to break it up into several conversation- a couple for the drilling (ie info gathering) step, one for restating the problem and explaining my concerns, then 1 or 2 for brainstorming solutions. At this point I'd say that I'm doing "almost-B", in that I'm able to get clarity on his concerns but I'm still the one coming up with the solutions and implementing them (we're not exactly collaborating on the solution.)

It seems to me you don't yet have clarity on his issues with the restaurant. Wanting tortilla chips or a different restaurant are a good theories, but maybe the cause is actually something else. Maybe you could get more info by having a talk where you are comparing concretely what is good and bad about different restaurants.

The initial lead in seems to be, "I notice you're having difficulty sitting quietly and enjoying your meal when we go to restaurant A. What's Up?" If that's too open ended for him, maybe you replace "What's Up?" with a series of questions about things he likes and doesn't like about restaurant A.

Let's pretend that it becomes really clear that his concern is that he would rather eat at restaurant B because it has tortilla chips. Your invitation might be, "You really like the chips at B, but they don't have them at A. Mom and Dad really like the pasta at A, and would really like to eat there sometimes. I wonder if there's a way we could sometimes eat chips at B, but other times eat at A, and also make going to A more enjoyable for you..." At this point, I would postpone the next part of the conversation by saying, "You think about whether there's anything that would make restaurant A enjoyable, and I'll think about it, too, and let's talk some more this afternoon about our ideas."

In the next conversation, you could start by asking, "Have you had any ideas that would make restaurant A more enjoyable?" If he has no ideas, you could talk about each of your ideas. "Would it help if we take turns picking the restaurant?" (If the answer is "yes", then, "Ok, we'll take turns. We still need to figure out how to make A more enjoyable when we go there.") "Would it help if we brought our own chips to A?" "What if we picked up take-out chips from B and brought them to A?" "Would you enjoy it more if we brought an iPod to play with when we go to A?" "Would it help if you could go outside and take a walk when it gets too noisy at A?" etc.

(Btw -- My son was not able to have this kind of back and forth conversation at age 6, the sentences here are definitely too long. I have no idea how you would modify it for your son's current language capability.)

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:02 am

Quote:
I think that he can learn skills which will make these interactions more successful for him.

If he wants to spend time with them, but then leaves during the encounter, he could be experiencing a slight panic attack which is triggering a flight response. This happens to me all the time when I'm with people. Concentrating on breathing and relaxing can help, but it's hard.

From the Forbes article by Goman regarding eye contact:

Quote:
But people decrease or avoid eye contact for many reasons ? when they are discussing something intimate or difficult, when they are not interested in the other person?s reactions, when they don?t like the other person, when they are insecure or shy and when they are ashamed, embarrassed, depressed or sad.

And many more. It is a cultural prejudice to assign specific motivations or character traits to someone based on their physical characteristics. This is something that should be discouraged and I suspect that as people become aware of differences in communication styles and the myriad of possible causes, they will attribute less specific intentions to differing styles of eye contact. Or at least I'm hoping.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:38 am

zette wrote:
I'm still a newbie in trying to use collaborative problem solving. I've listened to almost all the podcasts. I've only made a few attempts, but I have found I needed to break it up into several conversation- a couple for the drilling (ie info gathering) step, one for restating the problem and explaining my concerns, then 1 or 2 for brainstorming solutions. At this point I'd say that I'm doing "almost-B", in that I'm able to get clarity on his concerns but I'm still the one coming up with the solutions and implementing them (we're not exactly collaborating on the solution.)

It seems to me you don't yet have clarity on his issues with the restaurant. Wanting tortilla chips or a different restaurant are a good theories, but maybe the cause is actually something else. Maybe you could get more info by having a talk where you are comparing concretely what is good and bad about different restaurants.

The initial lead in seems to be, "I notice you're having difficulty sitting quietly and enjoying your meal when we go to restaurant A. What's Up?" If that's too open ended for him, maybe you replace "What's Up?" with a series of questions about things he likes and doesn't like about restaurant A.

Let's pretend that it becomes really clear that his concern is that he would rather eat at restaurant B because it has tortilla chips. Your invitation might be, "You really like the chips at B, but they don't have them at A. Mom and Dad really like the pasta at A, and would really like to eat there sometimes. I wonder if there's a way we could sometimes eat chips at B, but other times eat at A, and also make going to A more enjoyable for you..." At this point, I would postpone the next part of the conversation by saying, "You think about whether there's anything that would make restaurant A enjoyable, and I'll think about it, too, and let's talk some more this afternoon about our ideas."

In the next conversation, you could start by asking, "Have you had any ideas that would make restaurant A more enjoyable?" If he has no ideas, you could talk about each of your ideas. "Would it help if we take turns picking the restaurant?" (If the answer is "yes", then, "Ok, we'll take turns. We still need to figure out how to make A more enjoyable when we go there.") "Would it help if we brought our own chips to A?" "What if we picked up take-out chips from B and brought them to A?" "Would you enjoy it more if we brought an iPod to play with when we go to A?" "Would it help if you could go outside and take a walk when it gets too noisy at A?" etc.

(Btw -- My son was not able to have this kind of back and forth conversation at age 6, the sentences here are definitely too long. I have no idea how you would modify it for your son's current language capability.)

So many good comments. I am going to need to look back at them, but I am going to start with this one. I see what you mean about breaking it up. My son is 8 going on 9, and the issue is not a matter of linguistics. but more one of communication, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to start by having more drill sessions to make sure what I uncovered so far is the full picture. Right now we are still getting an exasperated "I don't know, I am just sick of it," when I ask about why he no longer likes restaurant A. I have asked some specifics, but maybe I need to brainstorm a lot more, and break it up into many sessions so he does not feel overwhelmed and interrogated. You gave good eamples of possible closed questions to ask. Thank you.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:40 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:

I believe you! One of my kids did stop eating- he was 3 at the time- and everyone said he wouldn't starve himself, he'll eat when he's hungry, blah blah... he started losing weight, finally people agreed that he was in fact starving himself... My oldest son (the one I was just talking about when he was 3) goes through phases where he only eats one food. In that case, I do allow him to only eat that one food, because he won't eat anything else, and he usually gets bored of the food and won't touch it anymore after a few weeks.

Normally what I do with my kids (my other kid doesn't do the extreme-will-only-eat-one-thing behaviour, but he is very picky), is have a "schedule of food". My younger son especially, does very well with a schedule so he knows what to expect. He knows he's not having peanut butter toast every day for every meal, because he looks at the schedule and can see he is having peanut butter toast on Wednesday for breakfast and he's having other things for the other meals. In my house it's not collaborative; I announce that this what we're eating this week. They don't technically get any say, but I do make it with their preferences in mind.

With your situation, you could say these are the days we are eating out- which one of these days would you like to go to your favourite restaurant? With my kids what I'd probably do is have the the days listed with a space next to them and cut out papers with each restaurant option on it, so they can match the restaurant to the day, but you visually see that the favourite restaurant is only there once, because there's only one paper.

Not sure if any of what I wrote is remotely hopeful, but there it is. :lol:

This is very helpful. I could maybe schedule a visit to a particular restaurant on a specific date, giving him plenty of notice, like I do for doctor's visits and special occasion eating. It might be a matter of going back to basics. If he is better prepared that might help. I will ponder this. Thank you!

Edited for literacy and clarity.

Last edited by ASDMommyASDKid on 29 Jun 2014, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Quote:
I think that he can learn skills which will make these interactions more successful for him.

If he wants to spend time with them, but then leaves during the encounter, he could be experiencing a slight panic attack which is triggering a flight response. This happens to me all the time when I'm with people. Concentrating on breathing and relaxing can help, but it's hard.

From the Forbes article by Goman regarding eye contact:

Quote:
But people decrease or avoid eye contact for many reasons ? when they are discussing something intimate or difficult, when they are not interested in the other person?s reactions, when they don?t like the other person, when they are insecure or shy and when they are ashamed, embarrassed, depressed or sad.

And many more. It is a cultural prejudice to assign specific motivations or character traits to someone based on their physical characteristics. This is something that should be discouraged and I suspect that as people become aware of differences in communication styles and the myriad of possible causes, they will attribute less specific intentions to differing styles of eye contact. Or at least I'm hoping.

I agree with you on the eye-contact thing, but I also agree with Adamantium on social and professional consequences for not following social norms, no matter how arbitrary. Where I live I see no enlightenment or movement in eye contact. I do not live in a particularly scholarly milieu. I coach my son to appear to make eye contact in certain contexts and that is as far as we go. Then, again, as I am recently rediscovering, my son stands out so much that eye-contact is the least of it. I view it as practice.

Edited for literacy.

Last edited by ASDMommyASDKid on 29 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

Adamantium wrote:

It seems to me that the vital skills to work on this summer are perspective taking, communicating feelings, and exercising in-the-moment self-control. These are foundational to the kinds of collaborative decision making you are describing, to maintaining friendships and to progressing at school and in later life.

Yeah, I think this is a good part of our problem. We are at a very low rung on all of those skills. My son is making some substantial movement on expressing feelings, but still is not very proficient. As far perspective taking and self-control? Forget about it.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:56 am

Adamantium wrote:

We almost never go to restaurants anymore, unless we can see that we can sit far from others, because of my son's issues with people's mouth noises.

I am trying to teach him to control his expression of emotion when he encounters such offensive stimuli. I tell him that it's OK to feel the way he is feeling, but that it is unfair not to consider the intention and feeling of others. In particular, he feels assaulted when someone smacks their lips or chews with their mouth open. I am telling him that I understand that it feels like an assault but that he has to understand that it is not one and that the motivation of other people is critically important. If they are doing something and it bothers you, remove yourself from the situation and do it without expressing anger or rage.

My mom made mouth noises when she ate if it was just her, me and my brother and we were at home. She said it was a dental issue, but she never did it out in public or when my dad was home. We explained we had issues with them and it did not make a difference. We started taking our meals upstairs to our respective rooms to eat them. I don't think we are as sensitive as your son is, but I definitely understand this. Loud eating mouth noises sound to me like the nails on a chalkboard example people like to give. The fact that she controlled it for other people, but not us, was also very thoughtless, in our minds.

Even if my mom could never control it, it would have bothered us. However, I can say I understand that it would bother your son more if he thought people can control it but choose not to, even if it is not done without the express intent to annoy.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I coach my son to appear to make eye contact in certain contexts and that is as far as we go. Then, again, as I am recently rediscovering, my son stands out so much that eye-contact is the least of it.

Lol. He could also try brief and poignant eye contact. This strategy has worked well for me. And it involves very little actual eye contact. The trick is to wait for moments of understanding or shared experience and look the person right in the eye and nod or whatever. It hurts, but it buys you a lot of eye contact free time.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I coach my son to appear to make eye contact in certain contexts and that is as far as we go. Then, again, as I am recently rediscovering, my son stands out so much that eye-contact is the least of it.

Lol. He could also try brief and poignant eye contact. This strategy has worked well for me. And it involves very little actual eye contact. The trick is to wait for moments of understanding or shared experience and look the person right in the eye and nod or whatever. It hurts, but it buys you a lot of eye contact free time.

This is what I was taught in the 70s and pretty much what I still do -- bridge of the nose, left or right temple--near but not at the eye. I think of the eyes as being almost like black holes--OK as long as you don't cross the event horizon. This and also to try to read emotion from the muscular activity around the eyes. Somehow the process of considering the meaning of these small signals (eye smiles, frowns, etc.) removes some of the anxiety from the process.