Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cecilia
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2007, 3:47 pm

Hello Bills dad,

That sure would be difficult in church! But you gave me a good laugh. My daughter is just the same, but for her it is Barbie or Sailor moon instead of Darth Vader. If she doesnt have her dolls with her she can just as well use her fingers instead. Imagine the looks she gets on the tube when she has these long talks too her fingers, with different names and all.

Thank you for helping me to see the humour in it all, she has recently been diagnosed and it is all too easy to see everything in black at the moment.

Take care

BillsDad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2007, 9:23 pm

No problem Cecilia,
If you are not looking for the Good or the Funny, then you are doing something wrong and eventually it will drive you crazy......I have a 8 year old Son with Asperger's, and a Wife with Bi-Polar Disorder/Manic Deppression/Panic-Anxiety Attacks...........Some Day's it is hard to find a positive or a "Funny", but it is what has allowed me to keep my sanity, and be the best father to my son and best husband to my wife that I can..........
Just read everything you can get your eyes on, get second and third opinions on everything...........and have fun when you can :D

javajunkie80
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2007, 6:15 am

I did wonder about this in AS kids!

My daughter talks non-stop...she is currently asleep and I can hear her in there mumbling away to herself.
She talks through class constantly. The only bad thing (usually) that I hear from her teachers is that she's talked all day. She did get an award the other week for 'keeping a quiet classroom'...but I wonder if that had something to do with the fact that she had a severe chest infection and actually only attended for one day...

When the teacher moved her away from the kids she was talking to (at), she started talking to herself so loudly that she disrupted the other class at the other end of the double-classroom.

She talks about nothing and everything. Even her computer and nintendo obsessions can't stop it, although it's quieter and there are pauses. I've also found that her MP3 player can work wonders for her...in shopping centres if she wears it she will zone out into her own little world and will trot along behind me rather than walking into people and in front of trolley's and talking loudly about embarrassing things etc. The most we get out of her is some cute little Bindi Irwin songs and some shocking renditions of High School Musical tracks ;)

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2007, 7:13 pm

My son is a constant chatter box, usually monologing about the interest of the day. If i ask him to stop, it's like pausing a tape recorder...as soon as he thinks it's okay to talk, he starts right where he paused.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2007, 7:23 pm

My daughter talks excessivley off meds. She has Asperger's and ADHD. The addition of Strattera to her concerta helped alot. We didn't talk to the doctor about it until it bothered her. She was aware she was talking too much and couldn't control herself.

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2007, 8:55 am

Hey gang ,welcome to the club. 10 Yr old will talk almost constantly, can even cary on conversations while asleep. Volume control is a problem, especially when he is excited. I recognize the mealtime chatter and not eating lunch at school,if he takes lunch or buys it. In restaurants we tell him people on the other side of the building don't want to hear him. Doesn't help for more than a few seconds. When he reads, 250+ wpm it is often out loud. The problem with that is I can't keep up with the story line. These are intriguing kids.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 11:59 pm

During middle school, I became quiet around people at school to avoid the bullying. Around people I knew well enough, and my family, I was very talkative until about a year ago when I started correcting some of my Aspie characteristics. My dad used to complain that I wasn't letting him speak. Now I just let him and everyone else speak as much as they want to, and talk only when it is barely necessary. I've settled into a very quiet manner, but I'm depressed (just the feeling I think, not clinical depression, at least not yet; I hope it doesn't turn into that) because I feel like I have to stay quiet. I would say what I want, about the transportation stuff I am interested in, but it might leave me more socially isolated because others will not be interested in it. The void that I have in my knowledge of popular culture and my ability to phrase things in a way that gives them emotional content that makes interaction difficult, but more so in groups. Someday I hope to find the confidence to speak up more than I do now. But when I do, while it matter? Will my words then have an impact or be, to others, useless drivel?