Ideas on how to get a 13 yr. old to have blood work done?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 10:22 pm

lol, will do! and many grats :D Glad he came around for ya-no more trying to figure out how to coax him in :P

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 8:18 pm

blessedmom you said $300 dollars for a ambulance? man it costs like thousands here california where i live to have a ambulance ride.. anyway i get nosebleeds 4 times a year and also get pale usually when i have a seizure or faint. my guess is that if he turns pale, give him some water to drink or gatorade, usually helps me, and usually i only get pale when i have no energy, is he getting enough sleep at night? the paleness usually happened for me when i work graveyard from 11 pm till 8 am when i was in the grocery industry, i was so stressed and tired during those times. usually gatorade and or energy drinks ans sometimes water usually get me back to normal. anyway it's probably is cause of seeing the blood, for me i usually also faint and become pale if i see blood...

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 9:10 pm

:) He had his blood test. And now we are all supposed to have blood drawn for genetic testing. He is bugging me daily to go and get it done. Apparently it wasn't so bad! :lol:

He also just had his toenail done to relieve an in-grown toe-nail and i didn't have to be in the room. He didn't have freezing and he's telling us daily he's a man because of it! :roll: :lol:

tiredmama3
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 9:54 am

:roll: Sorry, but telling your As or autistic child that they WILL get bloodwork, will not work. I had to start bribing my son with breakfast at mcdonalds, there were a few times that he refused when we got there and I just took him aside and reminded him that he will not get mcdonalds ( he loves hotcakes and fruit and yogurt parfait) and encourage him that he can hold my hand the whole time and it may only hurt for a second and to look at me while they are doing it. It took a few mins and they he did fine. It was afterward that he would cry, " they need to put the blood back in, I am going to die". He only did this a couple of times. Now he asks when he is getting his blood drawn next. I don't bring him to mcds for breakfast unless we have blood work so it's special to him. I see nothing wrong in bribing for somethin as important as this.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Oct 2007, 11:23 am

my Aspy boy didn't like the needle either, but after doing it enough time, he realized that it was just a pinch for a second,
and the actual process became interesting.

He also had cronic nosebleeds.

Two things helped.

http://www.amazon.com/Nosebleed-Kit-Sto ... B000RETV40
It stings for a second, but is very effective. My boy can do it himself.

http://www.parkhurstexchange.com/qa/A.p ... 8-02-06.qa
We had him put to sleep and a chemical cautery and that ended the problem.

As to suggestions for your situation. Consider a mickey finn, and a home visit by a phlobotimist.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2007, 4:13 pm

I talked to my boy about this issue, and he tells me, that
when he is getting stuck, he is thinking about an aspy interest, and
in effect, is not mentally in the room.