Birth trauma and kids with Asperger's

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 2:52 pm

I was born with foreceps because my mom's doctor was impatient, as she's petite and I was her first. Apparently, I didn't cry right away until vitamin K was given. I did have epilepsy until I was 2, and sometimes I wonder if that was triggered by my birth. I don't know if my AS was caused by the epilepsy, or if there's a genetic link in my family.

doby
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Oct 2007, 11:59 am

Mine was a typical pregnancy, labor and delivery. He was a very difficult baby though, and I knew from the beginning that things were different.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 2:17 pm

doby wrote:
I knew from the beginning that things were different.

With my daughter I knew within her first week of life. She never cried, she screamed this blood curdling high-pitched scream. I thought something was medically wrong, but the doctor assured me it wasn't that.

My son seemed perfectly normal for the first year, then he didn't progress in his speech and began flapping and toe walking.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 4:34 am

I went back up into the womb, when I was about to be pushed out.

Kelliott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2007, 10:31 am

My son had a scary moment after birth-he was handed immediately to me when he was born and the doctor was telling me, "Pat his back-let's hear him cry!" He was definitely a bluish shade as well. Almost as soon as they gave him to me they took him back and whisked him over to the bassinet and I couldn't see him for about fifteen minutes as he had a crowd of staff around him. I remember the doctor trying to distract me and my husband and mom were over there with him. What they were doing was suctioning fluid out of him. My husband said at one point the nurse was saying he probably needed to go to NICU but his breathing got much better. It was a scary few minutes but he was fine after that-I wonder if that could have had an effect though. Then again, the more I look into it the more I feel pretty strongly that I have Asperger's as well, so there could also be a genetic link. Then again, I was born nearly a month after my due date too. *shrugs*

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 10:55 am

I think it's dangerous to blame birth trauma or pregnancy mishaps for autism. It could be the other way around. The genetic component could cause both birth trauma, neo-natal weakness and autism. Years ago, the infant mortality rate for boys was really high. If I had delivered my son a century ago, we'd both likely die. In 1999, it was a near normal birth because of the technology available. I had extreme hypertension, my son had issues and then he became jaundiced several days later. Things like episiotomies are treated so casually too.

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2007, 10:57 am

I think it's a combination of both. My son had a traumatic birth but his dad has definite (undiagnosed) AS traits.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 7:18 am

son was born via c-section....he was originally breech & they did a version ( a process where they turn the baby through external force)....they got him turned the right way, but he still didn't want to come out. ....he was born 2 weeks after my due date.

surroundfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2007, 7:42 am

I've got mild CP (hemiplegia on the RHS, meaning the left front side of my brain was damaged) as a result of a difficult birth using forceps (even popping out, I was driving my mum to distraction ;)).

I had long thought the CP was responsible for my 'weird' behaviour, feeling of being different and strong desire for solitude, but recently stumbled across AS and realised it was a set of symptoms that was consistent with my behaviour. I will soon be taking the steps to get a formal diagnosis.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2007, 8:03 am

I'm not sure, I had a very traumatic birth and following few hours, and I obviously don't have AS. My Mom was in active labor with me for five days, the military hospital wouldn't do a C-section. After birth it was discovered that I had so many red blood cells my blood couldn't pump effectively and I had to get it thinned. Luckily it was done before any brain damaged occured.

>> My due date is today, but they say I'm most likely going to have to be induced >< Luckily it's not a breech, so chances of there having to be a c-section are low. ^^

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 8:14 am

I was born naturally, with no complications and it was relatively fast. I don't know if any studies have been carried out testing a correlation between ASD and traumatic births, but if there is a correlation (whether of genetic origin or not) it might be contributing to the rising incidence of reported autism - babies with traumatic births are far more likely to survive now.

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2007, 3:04 am

my boy had a difficult birth was a 5 on the 1st APGAR. my water broke then 18hours later they induced me 12 hours later they jerked him out of me, his shoulders were stuck and i think the cord was wrapped around his neck. i know i panicked when i didn't hear him cry right away, then i got to see him for a few seconds before he was taken away. i am NT i think my brother has something undaignosed though.
here's my info to help the study.

drwho
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2007, 5:56 pm

my AS girl is a twin she was 18 minutes after her sister which was quite traumatic i dont know if this has had anything to do with her AS they were full time good weights and healthy dont suppose we,ll ever know for fact

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 8:44 pm

My mother had a long labor (16 hours) and a rapid delivery with me. I was a healthy baby (9 pounds, 8 ounces) and seemed to have no problems. I think problems began manifesting themselves when I began school. I was smart, but socially inept.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 8:53 pm

KimJ wrote:
I think it's dangerous to blame birth trauma or pregnancy mishaps for autism. It could be the other way around. The genetic component could cause both birth trauma, neo-natal weakness and autism. Years ago, the infant mortality rate for boys was really high. If I had delivered my son a century ago, we'd both likely die. In 1999, it was a near normal birth because of the technology available. I had extreme hypertension, my son had issues and then he became jaundiced several days later. Things like episiotomies are treated so casually too.
Episiotomies hurt like hell though - it's like sitting on shards of broken glass!

I think Autism is genetic but birth trauma, serious illness and the like would make it harder for the child to cope with the autism because of reducing their physical and mental reserves.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon