How do other aspies cope with babies, young children..

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 5:29 am

I couldn't let my children cry much either and fed them on demand. It always seemed incredible that people could let their kids cry it out for hours.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

skrimpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2007, 2:06 pm

asplanet wrote:
I know its normal to love your children unconditional, but for those of us who experience emotional problems with other adults and contact. It is strainge that we can give so much to our own children, but not to others hardly at all.

I'm glad to hear that someone else has felt the same as me lol. I think it is really interesting. It is so hard for me to interact with others and touch is very very hard (even for me to hug my own parents). But that was never so with my babies. Now that my children are older I sometimes have trouble with their touch if it is very light. But I still don't have problems with them sitting in my lap, or picking them up to hug them (hand holding is sometimes hard for me if it's for an extended period of time though).

I think it would be really interesting to be able to read about how other AS/Spectrum mothers feel about their children and how they choose to care for their babies. Something about maternal feelings and behaviors in autistic mamas would be a really interesting read.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 6:58 pm

skrimpy wrote:
Now that my children are older I sometimes have trouble with their touch if it is very light. But I still don't have problems with them sitting in my lap, or picking them up to hug them (hand holding is sometimes hard for me if it's for an extended period of time though)

Ditto, I'm with you on that did not really think about the just a pasting touch and/or also find that if they cuddle up when need my own space, can over react and back off. Its like I need their cuddles and affection, but has to be the right time for me!

As for holding hands, was ok when my children were little - but now not a thing I enjoy, especially adult hand holdings...

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 10:21 pm

I know how you feel, I have Hyperacusis, sensitivity to sudden loud noises. Which sounds like what you might have. I always am having trouble with loud young children in public places. It seems parents these days feel that if someone tells their angel, they can't behave as completely unruly as their neglectful parents allow them to at home, that they have a right to lash out at that person like a wild animal defending their young.

Even when I explain I can't sit next to loud children, and why at resturants, they can't handle seating me somewhere quiet. It's a common problem when you have an invisible disability. Appearantly if you aren't in a wheelchair, or look disabled, whatever disability you may have simply doesn't exsist. I don't like getting angry at children, or their parents. Most parents I talk to though are extremely uncooperative about the issue. They insist that they have a right to live in their bubble, and anyone who doesn't want to sit next to children, even if they have a valid reason, must hate children.

It's like I say, having a child doesn't entitle you to behave at the age of your child.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 10:53 pm

I love children and over the years manage to be able to ignore the noise mostly, as they do have to be children. But I do agree with you when you say that some adults act more like children in public places, if you have children I totally agree you should be responsible for them.

There is a place and time for everything, and restaurants are not the place to take children that scream and shout at the expense of paying customers. My children would never do that, as I have tough them to be respectful in public places and if they did, I would take responibility for them and even if that meant having to leave to claim the child down....

But as I also know it can be so hard for some adults to control especially children on the spectrum and people should not prejudge. If a child is out of control and the parent is trying there best to control the situation, then I think anyone around should support and help that person, if the adult wants help that is. What I'm talking about is when the adult is acting as bad as the child, being a bad example...

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 12:35 am

I can identify.

I have two children, both are autistic, and they're two and four. My four year old screamed the first day she was born, and that's how she cried, always. It was hell, I didn't know I was an aspie yet, and I just thought I was a horrible mother because I struggled so much with the noise. It literally hurt my body, there's no other way to describe it. She finally grew out of it around 2 1/2.

My son was a quiet baby, but he is a LOUD toddler. He has frequent meltdowns (can't handle it when we redirect him from something he had in his head, or when we say "no"). He's not a brat, he's just mostly non-verbal and he is very smart...so communication is SO frustrating for him. He knows what he wants and needs, and is probably trying to compromise...and he can't.

I want an iPod, really bad!

My husband understands my sensory issues. We have those noise-muffling headphone things, we use them. If I need a break, I go do my grocery shopping while he watches the kids. During the day my son naps for a good hour during the afternoon, so I relax then. Mostly I have to just deal with it though. It helps to know that communication will improve and so will the meltdowns (I hope!) in time.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 3:21 am

I don't know. I think I might be able to spot the difference between a parent with NT kids acting up, and parents with a Autistic spectrum kid who can't control their behaviour. I could be wrong though. I would think being on the spectrum would give you something like an Autie-dar with people.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 4:14 am

asplanet wrote:
Do not get me wrong love both of my boys, probably too much and if anything to soft with them.

But did find it extremely hard when they were younger, was never able to let them cry - the noise was too much at times. I can remember when they were babies running down into our basement (lived in a big old house in the UK then) and just screaming out of frustration.

I just could not handle it when they cried, you could say most mothers are all like that, but this was so intense, and the stress and anxiety the crying would trigger in me was unreal. Of course I coped with it in silence like lots of parents do, in the fear that I would be told I'm a bad mother.

But they were both pretty full on, needing to always have things to do, both fussy eaters and quite hyper... and the list goes on....

When they were younger, I became so good at pretending to the outside world I was more than perfect - but keeping the pain inside.

I never knew I had aspergers then, and did/do my boys still working on that one now, well with the older one anyway. But they are so much like me and we really do get on now they are 14 and 9. I think since being diagnosed we understand each other better.

ear plugs and headphones. really. : )

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2007, 10:41 am

I wouldn't have three kids if I didn't enjoy invations in bed, the smell of somebody who's intestinies probably have rottened, leaking tits, and a very close friend sleeping with windows open even though it's -27 celsius outside.

I don't regret a minute of the joy and pain my three (well four) kids give me :-) I also have quite strong bonds to all my three kids, because they have all been delivered by surgical means due to birth complications (big kids that simply couldn't come out the natural way) so I was the first to take care of them while their mother woke up from the narcosis. If you never been attending a emergency style delivery, I can tell you It takes less than a minute.

I should mention I still love my ex but not enough to live with her. We're close friends though, and we live within walking range from eachother. I have keys to her house and she have keys to my flat. So does the kids. We don't take it "2 weeks at you, 2 weeks at me", we allow the kids to choose. They love it, since they can get a relief from their pesticidical brothers/sisters whenever they want....

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:41 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
I don't know. I think I might be able to spot the difference between a parent with NT kids acting up, and parents with a Autistic spectrum kid who can't control their behaviour. I could be wrong though. I would think being on the spectrum would give you something like an Autie-dar with people.
If a child is "acting up" in a restaurant, the best thing is to take them outside and well away from the place so it won't annoy the other people.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Q
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2007, 7:07 pm

Holding onto my three-week old nephew was quite challenging for me.

I dislike babies because of the sound.

I dislike young children because most of the time, they are selfish. (As in, 'Thats MY toy!')

Apparently, I was a very quiet baby, I didnt cry once during the night, nor did I scream at anyone.

I just...stared...apparently....that unsettled most of my neighbors.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 7:33 pm

Q wrote:
Holding onto my three-week old nephew was quite challenging for me.

I dislike babies because of the sound.

I dislike young children because most of the time, they are selfish. (As in, 'Thats MY toy!')

Apparently, I was a very quiet baby, I didn't cry once during the night, nor did I scream at anyone.

I just...stared...apparently....that unsettled most of my neighbors.

I guess you have not had children yet, so its very hard to really understand and can be awkward holding a baby for the first time, if not yours, thats quite normal.

Its always a lot easier to deal with your own babies sound, but the sounds babies make are the way they communicate and its learning to communicated with them.

I would not say children are selfish, but they do have to learn how to share etc., I try not to ever blame the children as quite often its the way the have been brought up and what boundaries have been set for them, makes them who they are.

All children are different just like adults, no 2 people are born the same. Children are a gift and we can all learn and grow with them, if we stop trying to control and change them.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2007, 7:44 pm

All I know is that the bond between me and my children is unbelievable. I can't imagine being closer to anyone except my husband. I generally don't like children- other people's kids drive me nuts. I don't like to hold other people's babies either. I don't like when other kids come over to play at my house, especially unruly, intrusive children who think they own everything their friends have- my neighbor's kid is like that. He's even snuck across the street when my hubby was out doing yardwork- the garage door was open, snuck into our house, and made himself right at home in my son's room, playing with his toys. His mother is obviously not very attentive and I can't stand her either- she's intrusive and annoying.

What amazes me is that attachment to my kids was so instantaneous. 2 are adopted and were placed in our home at 4 and 6 months old. The minute I agreed to their placements, I was already in love with them. When I brought them home, there was no adjustment period to attach to them, I already was. We had a failed match in between them where we were told that we'd get to pick up a newborn at the hospital in a few days, we went shopping, prepared for her, had named her, and then we found out that her mother came back and claimed her- she was surrendered under CA's Safe HAven Law. I was devastated. I had never even seen a picture of my daughter, but I loved her and it was very hard for me to deal with. I took 6 months to grieve before we accepted another placement.

I will be very disappointed if we do not get the baby we are waiting to hear about. It's so hard to be told there's a baby available for you and wait around for a week to find out if you got him- agonizing. I'm glad I've not seen pictures or anything, that would make it harder. I know there's another one out there for us if this match does not work out, but it's hard to wait and see.

Q
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2007, 11:02 am

You are correct, I have no children and would not wish any lest the social torture of Aspergers is passed on.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 4:04 pm

Q wrote:
You are correct, I have no children and would not wish any lest the social torture of Aspergers is passed on.

The only problem with having aspergers is the lack of understanding from others. Our 'symptoms' are in fact ourselves, not some unfortunate illness we suffer. We are unique individuals which the so-called 'normal' world often despise and underestimate but don't often try or want to understand. We have been made to believe in a stereotype of 'normality' for our children, and to panic, fear and react when our offspring don't achieve.

Aspergers is not disease, not a disability and we do not need a cure. Just recognition, understanding and support. From a very happy, proud aspie

Q
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2007, 2:56 am

Oh, I agree, its basiclly the diease of giftedness.

sadly, however, the rest of the world isnt like that,. and i've had my fair share of scornful comments. All of which have caused me to loose faith in humanity.

I am also proud of what I am, a 'social ret*d' who's creative writings have won me many awards.

Friends and lovers lost, but only recognition gained. Sometimes i'm overjoyed with tears; other times, the tears feel like acid dripping down over my crunched up face.