New Special Ed teacher is an idiot!

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

19 Feb 2008, 7:34 pm

Great news! I just got off the phone with the Vice Principal.

The boys don't have to see this new Special Ed teacher. A new part-time Special Ed teacher starts in 5 weeks and they will be transferred to her.

In the meantime, we have worked out some strategies for the boys for time-out without involving the new Special Ed teacher.

*does a dance of joy*

I asked the Vice Principal if we were stuck with the new Special Ed teacher or if she could organise for her to be transferred to another school. The Vice Principal laughed and said, 'No, we can't do that.' Her tone of voice suggested she may agree with me.

I'm glad I got in early to complain about the new Special Ed teacher. I'm sure a flood of complaints will soon follow! At least I've got my boys transferred to the new teacher.

Hope the new teacher is better, but in reality, anyone will be better than the current Special Ed teacher.

Helen

ster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 9:23 am

Yeeha!! !! !! ! glad things are looking brighter.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2008, 10:01 am

Is the spec. ed. teacher leaving or she just getting the kids who parents don't complain?

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

20 Feb 2008, 8:30 pm

greendeltatke wrote:
Is the spec. ed. teacher leaving or she just getting the kids who parents don't complain?

No. Idiot special ed teacher is staying and wil get the poor kids whose parents didn't complain.\

Helen

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2008, 8:39 pm

I'm glad that things have worked out! A change of teachers always makes me nervous, too. My son's speech teacher got another job after Christmas break, and his Autism Support teacher is leaving next month to have a baby and won't be back until next fall.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 12:40 pm

Smelena wrote:
greendeltatke wrote:

No. Idiot special ed teacher is staying and wil get the poor kids whose parents didn't complain.\

Helen

Just noticed you're in Australia. It's "touching" to know parents across the globe have to put up with the same crap we do here in the U.S. LOL.

Glad things worked out.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 3:10 am

Yea Helen!

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 3:10 pm

Smelena,
Your idiot special ed teacher sounds like J's vp. According to her there is nothing wrong with him. He never complains to her and he smiles at her on the stairs when she says hello. She tells me she has had kids with aspergers before and J is nothing like those kids. Yet the autism resource worker for our area and the autism school for our area have never had a child from J's school before. How does that work? Hmmm
What is an IEP and should I have one? If so how do I get one? J's school wont even try for funding because they dont think he needs it, all this was said in the presence of J's docs. Just about everyday J tells me he is sad, he has no friends, no one will play with him. He is confussed by some of the work or he is worried because he didn't have time to fix mistakes that he may have made. He steps into the school yard and I can see a physical change come over his face. Like a mask goes up. He will not talk to me in the school yard in front of other kids for fear of being teased later. His understanding of social rules and the rules he has put on himself are extremely stressful. There was an incident the other morning, J was extremely stressed/paniced about it all. I told him to talk to his teacher, the minute some other kids approached us he shut down all communication about the subject and donned a wooden look on his face, staring straight ahead. I asked him if he wanted me to talk to his teacher all I got was a little nod. I explained to his teacher a little about what was going on, telling her that she needed to talk to him, she assured me she would. However, when I asked J after school if his teacher talked to him about him being upset in the morning he said No!
Today we have getting to know you meetings at school, I've asked for extra time (10 minutes isnt long enough) I think my biggest problem is explaining that J will not ask for help but he does need help. J is fantastic at pretending he is ok, because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself. I need to know how we (parent and school) can help J over come some of these problems. J is so exhausted by the time he gets home, we aren't allowed to talk about school. If we do talk about school we get tears, moaning noises and have even had the walls punched (completely out of character). I am worried about what this is doing to my little boys emotional state, I am looking at the whole child. He may appear to be keeping up with the other kids education wise (he should be he repeated grade two) he is very clever, but behind the sceens he is a mess. Does any of this sound like your kids and how did you guys help them?

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

26 Feb 2008, 3:53 pm

Sorry ... quick reply only .... getting kids ready for schoool!

Your son should have an Individual Education Plan (IEP). I'm sure it would be a legal document/requirement in Victoria like it is in Queensland.

The IEP is formulated by the parent/s, classroom teacher, special ed teacher, anyone on your son's evaluation team that you want.

The IEP document outlines what accommodations and extra support your son needs.
eg Social Skills training, time-out, including his special interest in the curriculum, adjusting homework requirements etc

I would discuss this with your contact on the evaluation time.

Aurea, I greatly admire you! You have that great fighting spirit!

Regards
Helen

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 7:08 pm

I am replying for Smelena until she gets back (I am her mother)

That is exactly like it has been for her boys.

When the child breaks down at home after the frustrations of school the parents are blamed fpr bad parenting. Don't be surprised if you shed many tears before he is officially recognised. Battling the system and being exhausted is the price you pay.

But the good news is that if you can get the support you need and appropriate counselling for your child you will be astounded how much progress he makes.

The boys have had IEP's put in place that allow for some withdrawal. After a year they are well adjusted boys - as long as the support continues That is another story posted under 'The special eg teacher is an Idiot! (Smelena)

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 1:01 am

Wow Helen, I am so sorry for all your trouble! I know how frustrating that is! She sounds like the speech therapist at my boys school! :roll: I can't believe she is even qualified as a special ed. teacher! At least it seems like it is going to work out for you. Keep us posted on the IEP meeting! I'm glad you have the boys' psychologist going with you!

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".