Who does my son need to see to get the right help?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 12:33 pm

Also, how he is holding his pencil is somewhat important right now while these habits can be modified. While the teacher is being too rigid in her attack, I do understand her position. If I were you I would work with him at home. We used "Handwriting Without Tears" and still go back to those techniques sometimes. My daughter still hates handwriting and still has very poor handwriting. But doing what you can NOW to help will lessen his burden later. There are pencil grips with finger slots that will force him into proper pencil grip as opposed to using a fist. An OT would use these techniques as well. He also may be a synesthetic learner and Handwriting without Tears starts with manipulatives in forming letters that helps these learners.

I sympathize with your school situation. You are going to have to fight like HELL to get him the proper supports. Do not back down! I had to pull my daughter out of public school due to their closed mindedness. Just support him like crazy at home and he will excel academically. Advocate for him at every difficult juncture!

2berrryblondeboys
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2010, 12:33 pm

And I must say, this is so emotionally exhausting. My husband and I have two kids. One a freshman in HS and one in kindergarten. Our oldest is gifted and has severe ADHD. We struggle with that and his homework on a daily basis. Then our youngest who is atypical on the autism spectrum (too much eye contact and desire for interaction to be classified as Asperger's or stronger Autism). I was a bright, goody two shoes kid who always did well in school. Went to college and got a master's. My husband is brilliant and got his PhD from the leading business school and is very highly regarded in his field. Two very academically and socially adept adults - with two kids who struggle with school with very different things. It is very hard. As I'm sure most of you know.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 12:53 pm

2berrryblondeboys wrote:
mama to grace - thank you so much.

That's it. Socially/behaviorally he's like a 3 year old. It's all coming, and even in the normal stages, just slowly - and out of sync with the rest of him. He's 5 (April birthday) and he's reading, can do math, spells words like alphabet, laugh, cough, etc). His development is so unbelievably lopsided, but it COMES. We are finally seeing some imaginative play, etc. Though... on a very minor scale. It doesn't help that he's huge - biggest in his class. 49" and 62 lbs of solid kid (not overweight).

I've been very hesitant to verbalize for him, because I don't want to put ideas in his head he doesn't have, you know what I mean? Like, when he said he didn't like school. This is how we approached it: "you don't like school?" (Shakes head yes). I then didn't want to say, "You find your teacher too mean." to put that idea in his head, So, I would ask him things like, "Is the room too yellow?" Shakes head no. Is your chair too low?" Shakes head no. "Are the children bothering you?" Shakes head no. "Is the room too noisy?" Shakes head no. "Is your teacher bothering you." Shakes head no. "Is it scary to try new things at school?" Shakes head yes. I finally got to what it was, but I would go through 10 things (some ridiculous) to see what's the problem.

If I don't know what the problem is, I can't verbalize for him. I have learned pretty much now, though, that it's scary for him... but then I don't want to make him feel more scared by saying, "I know this is scary for you." I don't know... I really do wish I DID know what was going on in his mind. With all his monologues about things, you would think he would say something about how he feels or thinks, but nope.

I do know one thing that would help me (but also know the teacher does NOT have time to do it). It would be good to know WHAT they did that day so I could talk with him about it. We get a note/letter every Friday and then I'll talk to him about Humpty Dumpty, etc. But otherwise, I have no idea what he's doing or better put, NOT doing in his class.

I think you have been a parent long enough that you can tell when a behavior/enotional response is real or when it is manipulative. It took me a very long time to realize that my daughter did not have control over her fears and anxiety and that a "tough love" approach wasn't making them "go away". Likewise, I don't think by helping him pinpoint or explore or verbalize those fears is going to make them worse. But that's just me. I also spent so much time frustrated and angry that Grace wouldn't do things the other children would do and that everyone said they just "didn't know what was wrong with her" because they had never seen a child that had such severe separation anxiety as a 6 year old. Once the Neuropsych told me in very explicit terms that my child has a "Pervasive Developmental Disorder" and she explained to me WHY she spoke as an adult but acted like a 2 year old I GOT it. I changed how I dealt with her. I gave her lots of love and support. No more NT disciplining her meltdowns. And you know what? Contrary to how it should have worked, the dropping of the discipline made her act out LESS and meltdown LESS. Once I saw that my complete focus became reduction of anxiety. If that meant dropping out of Girl Scouts (which she hated and was so maladjusted at) so be it. Matter of fact, if that meant dropping out of all group activities, well ok.

Now my complete and total focus is reduction of anxiety. As you stated, his skills will improve they are just behind what is considered "typical". Stop using the "typical" expectations with him and he will improve-not backslide. Stop seeing his anxiety as a problem and start seeing it as his method of commication right now. Everything he does is a CLUE. Use those clues. Believe those clues. Be his voice. Even if your interpretation may be wrong, he needs you to intervene when he is overwhelmed. This will not make him more dependent and maladjusted, it will give him time for his skills to catch up.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 1:09 pm

I know I am getting preachy and wordy here but I have a hard time conveying my thoughts sometimes. :D

I want to add that "Feel the fear and do it anyway" is an NT persepctive. Your son has a complex neurological makeup that doesn't allow for that perspective to be taken all the time. Look at school as a complex social interaction that your son doesn't have the capabilities to navigate. A stern and overbearing teacher worsens this. If you had a hot stove, you wouldn't say, feel the fear and put your hand on it anyway. Like a hot stove, school is a situation that your son may not be able to handle, and just gritting his teeth and going through it can be extremely damaging, like putting his hand on a hot burner. Your job is to lessen the burn and make school a safe place for him. Forcing him to interact when that provokes anxiety will not lessen the anxiety-it will cause him to be in a perpetual state of anxiety and studies show that anxious children grow into anxious adults. You have to wait for the neurological functioning to mature to a level where the anxiety is not so severe. In the meantime you have to lessen the social demands on him at school.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2010, 1:24 pm

2berry - Use your educational training to help your child. My MBA has done squat for my career. I recently realized my MBA has helped me help my child. Through my degree, I learned: to be relentless and aggressive; not intimidated by school officials because I have the same education level as them; to be an excellent researcher; use many perspectives to solve a problem. Who would have thought my MBA would help my kids more than my career??? Use your training.

Also, hang in there. I know it is extremely exhausting. Many of us are in the same boat. I am single with no involvement from the other parent. I regularly have 8 - 12 doctor appointments per month between my two kids and work 50 hrs a week. Sometimes I work part-time too (freelance writer from home). In addition to my 10 year old with PDD-NOS and Mood Disorder-NOS I have a 1.5 year old with health problems (minor skeletal dysplasia, failure to thrive, suspected growth hormone deficiency). Not to mention my little one being at the age where he is constantly sick with a cold, ear infection, or most recently hand, foot, mouth and whooping cough.

It is HARD. I often feel like giving up or quitting my job because I just can't handle all of it.

You are working much harder than most parents are required to, don't ever forget that. You will make it through this maze and come out a better person.

2berrryblondeboys
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2010, 1:34 pm

bjtao wrote:
2berry - Use your educational training to help your child. My MBA has done squat for my career. I recently realized my MBA has helped me help my child. Through my degree, I learned: to be relentless and aggressive; not intimidated by school officials because I have the same education level as them; to be an excellent researcher; use many perspectives to solve a problem. Who would have thought my MBA would help my kids more than my career??? Use your training.

Also, hang in there. I know it is extremely exhausting. Many of us are in the same boat. I am single with no involvement from the other parent. I regularly have 8 - 12 doctor appointments per month between my two kids and work 50 hrs a week. Sometimes I work part-time too (freelance writer from home). In addition to my 10 year old with PDD-NOS and Mood Disorder-NOS I have a 1.5 year old with health problems (minor skeletal dysplasia, failure to thrive, suspected growth hormone deficiency). Not to mention my little one being at the age where he is constantly sick with a cold, ear infection, or most recently hand, foot, mouth and whooping cough.

It is HARD. I often feel like giving up or quitting my job because I just can't handle all of it.

You are working much harder than most parents are required to, don't ever forget that. You will make it through this maze and come out a better person.

Hats off to you. I don't know how you do it. I don't think I could. I'm currently at home, but need to go back to make ends meet. That's the other thing... if school doesn't work for H. How do I homeschool and work at the same time? How can I do what's best for him and what's best for the rest of my family?

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:42 pm

2berry---just take it one day at a time. Go into the meeting with a positive attitude, and see if things can get worked out for your son at public school. Don't give up on it just yet. But, if it does come to homeschooling, then I am sure you and your husband will be able to work something out.

I can totally relate to what you are saying about the difference between you and your husband and your children. I graduated high school in the top 5% of my class, was very social, and went on to get my degree in accounting. My husband is more introverted, but is highly intelligent. He has a degree in math and a degree in computer engineering. I know it is going to be difficult for us to understand why our child will have difficulties in school. Sometimes I wonder if that is the cause of our son's autism----that he got too much of the "smart" gene. I am not bragging on myself, but I just wonder, if the combination of mine and my husband's genes just put him over the top!LOL!

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:23 pm

Seriously.

Your kid wrote that sign, screw the F$#% pencil crap. I spent grade 1 to 3 with a snob of a teacher (Mrs. Horner) who was out to "train me" to do everything her way. They tried swapping LEFT handers to write RIGHT handed too, for years... and WHY? Vanity! All it did was cause stress and rebellion! The old biddy teaching your son is too militaristic in her approach and focused on something that is going to make your son HATE her. THIS is why he's doing crap at school - he hates his OPPRESSOR.

He's going to learn to hate school if he has to put up with her for the whole year. I suggest you either get him a new class/teacher or you call a meeting with just you, your kid and the teacher and discuss this handwriting issue and how very unimportant "style" is as long as "legibility and ability" is present.

If you DO get a new teacher - if that's possible around there - then do the meeting thing before your kid goes into her class. One on one, the teacher should be able to charm your kid (if she's in the right profession) and make a positive connection before an hour is up. Then he'll feel comfy in the classroom because he'll have a "comfy" teacher who's he has met and been comfy with in a comfy (one on one) situation.

Comfortable. It's the key to a happy ASD kid or adult. Can't say it enough. Comfy :P

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche