I'm really depressed by other parents sometimes

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2014, 4:02 am

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
I discovered a "curebie" site for children and teens not with just autism and AS, but with other disabilities and mental illness as well. I actually think stumbling upon it legit traumatized me. The majority of the parents that post there are SO narcissistic, SO judgmental, SO rigid, and SO insensitive to their childrens' sensory issues/likes/dislikes/traumas it takes one's breath away just to read a few of the threads. Instead of hearing stories of parents nurturing their children and giving them the love and sympathy they need, they rail about how their children misbehave on purpose to torture them, blame them for their alcohol consumption ("she's driving me to drink" is what I once read on one thread) and boast about how they remove their child's special interests to encourage compliance and oftentimes leave them with nothing but a mattress and one change of clothes in their room as punishment for behavior beyond their control. What's more, they get new members every day....it just makes me sick....and unbearably sad.

In fact....*takes out toothpaste cap* See this toothpaste cap? I keep my faith in humanity in it. :(

You may remember me. I was cyberbullied, and ostracized in the parents forum for offering advice as a non-parent but an Aspie, and for confronting a parent who acted just like the one LtlPinkCoupe described. I'm glad things have improved here, and that parents understand people with Asperger's Syndrome can offer helpful advice even if they are not parents. Many people with Autism Spectrum Disorders simply don't want another child to suffer a childhood the way they suffered through theirs. I'm really pleased this is no longer the WrongPlanet I once visited where Aspies who posted in the parents forums were reported to the mods, and essentially bullied off this site.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 11:46 am

I think for most parents with kids with significant challenges (such as me, my son has no measurable receptive language at almost 5 years old) - our most pressing concern is, what after my time ?

I have since realized that there is a simple way to overcome fears of our child's financial destitution and have implemented it. My husband & I took out large life insurance policies and named a special needs trust as the policies' beneficiaries. That way, he won't ever have to work a day in his life, unless he WANTED to. The mandatory need to work is taken out of the equation. Of course, there is still the question of a suitable trustee and administration of trust funds. Eventually, we may just opt for an institutional trustee, such as a bank, so we know that trust funds won't be embezzled. Plus, with a trust, he may qualify for Medi-Care.

Now, I say all this, knowing fully well that 4 or 5 or 6 is too young to determine where a child will be, as an adult. Of course, if he gets to that point where he goes to college, establishes a career, finds a wife, raises a family, I would be doing the very happy dance. If not, I won't mop as long as he is in a situation where he can speak up if he is ever mistreated, in pain or in need. THAT is my biggest fear - the lack of an ability to communicate. As someone else said, marrying and raising a family is largely over-rated. We are 6 billion plus and pushing ... Our species isn't at risk for extinction if my son didn't mate and reproduce.

I also think working for profit is another thing that is just as vastly overrated. Many people are highly paid to do work that does not benefit a single soul - aside from themselves and maybe their immediate families. On the contrary, there are others who volunteer and give of themselves and lead very meaningful and productive lives, even if their "jobs" don't generate wages - care attendants at animal care shelters, for instance.

Anyway, I am blabbering now, but all I will say is that I am still in a place of fear, even after removing his financial needs out of the equation. I think if he progresses and gets to the point where he can eventually communicate enough to communicate mistreatment, needs, wants and pain, I will be OK.

At the end of the day, NO ONE's life is perfect, and everyone has a burden they carry (as philosophical as that sounds). Having to constantly worry about my son's challenges is my "burden". But I hope that voicing that doesn't make me a "depressing" parent who believes in "cure or dump". If I need a cure at all, it is to improve **his** quality of life, not to satisfy some fantasies that *I* may have harbored for him in the past.

setai
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2014, 1:45 pm

VioletYoshi wrote:
You may remember me. I was cyberbullied, and ostracized in the parents forum for offering advice as a non-parent but an Aspie, and for confronting a parent who acted just like the one LtlPinkCoupe described. I'm glad things have improved here, and that parents understand people with Asperger's Syndrome can offer helpful advice even if they are not parents. Many people with Autism Spectrum Disorders simply don't want another child to suffer a childhood the way they suffered through theirs. I'm really pleased this is no longer the WrongPlanet I once visited where Aspies who posted in the parents forums were reported to the mods, and essentially bullied off this site.

I am relatively new here and relatively new to my son's diagnosis. I actually really appreciate older kids and adult Aspie input about parenting. It is very valuable to me, because he is barely verbal at 4. If I can get insight and guidance about his perspective, it will help me make his journey easier.

I don't want to cure my son, he isn't sick. I do however want him to be as independent of a man as he can be. I want him to have friends, if he wants them(considering how socially motivated he is at preschool it seems like he will). I want him to be a contributing member of society, whether that includes a job or not is not as important. I want him to find love outside his direct family because one day we won't be there. As he grows up, I want him to keep his happy, loving, funny outlook. I know this takes making him be able to communicate more and be able to navigate this world that wasn't made for him, but that isn't curing him. That is teaching him skills, skills that might not be as easy for him as they would for NT kids. So I look to other parents of ASD kids and ASD folks to help me.

That being said don't know if I want to be confronted if what I am doing is considered wrong. I definitely want to be enlightened to what another ASD thinks the impact of my decision would be on my son. I would take their opinion in higher consideration than most of the so called NT medical experts even. I do want a safe place to sound things out and seek advice. I am sensitive about my son. I worry about him, I worry about doing what is right for him. Almost all parents are fiercely protective of their children, but when you add that fact that they have a disability it is like taking a steroid. It can make even the most rational parent defensive.

Please contribute, but if possible remember we can be tender and need some place to be vulnerable too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:51 pm

TheSperg wrote:
I'm just disturbed by the idea that even the people with money and experience and drive to be involved see anything less than a normal typical life not worth living or bothering with, if it doesn't work out just institutionalize them. I guess I kind of idolized and looked up to these people and idolized the USA as the best cultural area for autism, the most enlightened. And I was just let down to hear people say no job, no spouse, no friends equals not worth living. I don't know.

I am disturbed by that attitude from parents/care takers of autistic kids as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:56 pm

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
I discovered a "curebie" site for children and teens not with just autism and AS, but with other disabilities and mental illness as well. I actually think stumbling upon it legit traumatized me. The majority of the parents that post there are SO narcissistic, SO judgmental, SO rigid, and SO insensitive to their childrens' sensory issues/likes/dislikes/traumas it takes one's breath away just to read a few of the threads. Instead of hearing stories of parents nurturing their children and giving them the love and sympathy they need, they rail about how their children misbehave on purpose to torture them, blame them for their alcohol consumption ("she's driving me to drink" is what I once read on one thread) and boast about how they remove their child's special interests to encourage compliance and oftentimes leave them with nothing but a mattress and one change of clothes in their room as punishment for behavior beyond their control. What's more, they get new members every day....it just makes me sick....and unbearably sad.

In fact....*takes out toothpaste cap* See this toothpaste cap? I keep my faith in humanity in it. :(

That is sickening....I am sure if I found a site like that I'd be banned after giving a piece of my mind if I even bothered starting an account for that purpose.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2014, 5:55 am

setai wrote:
VioletYoshi wrote:

I am relatively new here and relatively new to my son's diagnosis. I actually really appreciate older kids and adult Aspie input about parenting. It is very valuable to me, because he is barely verbal at 4. If I can get insight and guidance about his perspective, it will help me make his journey easier.

I don't want to cure my son, he isn't sick. I do however want him to be as independent of a man as he can be. I want him to have friends, if he wants them(considering how socially motivated he is at preschool it seems like he will). I want him to be a contributing member of society, whether that includes a job or not is not as important. I want him to find love outside his direct family because one day we won't be there. As he grows up, I want him to keep his happy, loving, funny outlook. I know this takes making him be able to communicate more and be able to navigate this world that wasn't made for him, but that isn't curing him. That is teaching him skills, skills that might not be as easy for him as they would for NT kids. So I look to other parents of ASD kids and ASD folks to help me.

That being said don't know if I want to be confronted if what I am doing is considered wrong. I definitely want to be enlightened to what another ASD thinks the impact of my decision would be on my son. I would take their opinion in higher consideration than most of the so called NT medical experts even. I do want a safe place to sound things out and seek advice. I am sensitive about my son. I worry about him, I worry about doing what is right for him. Almost all parents are fiercely protective of their children, but when you add that fact that they have a disability it is like taking a steroid. It can make even the most rational parent defensive.

Please contribute, but if possible remember we can be tender and need some place to be vulnerable too.

Just so you know this is what I was referring to, this discussion with Jimbeaux. I haven't been here long enough to post a link so you'll have to try searching for the I'm BORED!! ! What am I going to do??? thread. Apparently standing up for an Aspie in the grips of a overly punitive parent was going too far back then. I'm glad to see people are willing to listen now instead of blindly following what a parent says is good for their child, when other Aspies tell them it's only going to hurt their child.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 7:03 am

Quote:
Just so you know this is what I was referring to, this discussion with Jimbeaux. I haven't been here long enough to post a link so you'll have to try searching for the I'm BORED!! ! What am I going to do??? thread. Apparently standing up for an Aspie in the grips of a overly punitive parent was going too far back then. I'm glad to see people are willing to listen now instead of blindly following what a parent says is good for their child, when other Aspies tell them it's only going to hurt their child.

I do not agree with your position with Jimbeaux and I side more with him. He actually allowed his son, Billy, to be on the computer 8 hours per day on the weekend when he was there. Should Billy be allowed to do what he wants when he wants? To me, it seems like Jimbeaux was very generous. It is Jimbeaux's house and Billy needs to learn to resepct Jimbeaux's property.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2716691 ... t=#2716691

Look at this link. Assuming Jimbeaux is accurate in his assessment, should Billy be allowed to choke people because he doesn't get his way? What if he killed this 7 year old boy? Aspergers does not give one a free pass to just do what one wants when he wants. Billy needs to learn self-control and he needs to learn that anything he does or does not do can lead to positive and/or negative consequences. Billy needed to be let known that stuff like that is absolutely unacceptable.

I will state that I don't agree with some things parents do and I do believe parents do make to much of a deal on certain things but on this I believe Jimbeaux has more of a point than you in this case. It may be true that Jimbeaux has some controlling tendencies and he even admitted he has OCD tendencies. This doesn't mean he is wrong in certain cases. In this case I have to side with him.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2014, 7:41 am

I see, maybe this place hasn't changed as much as I thought it had. I'm going to hold out hope that there may be others that might understand. I'm disappointed, you would think after so much time people with more compassion and understanding like LtPinkCoupe would've found their way here.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 8:13 am

VioletYoshi wrote:
I see, maybe this place hasn't changed as much as I thought it had. I'm going to hold out hope that there may be others that might understand. I'm disappointed, you would think after so much time people with more compassion and understanding like LtPinkCoupe would've found their way here.

If you look at my profile, I am an aspie myself. That is the first thing. Second, his son Billy could've accidently killed this seven year old boy. This isn't about parents having unreasonable demands of an aspie or issues that come with being aspergers. In one class in middle school we got rewarded for game play. There was only one computer reserved for gameplay. I wanted to play SimCity. Others wanted to play Carmen Santiago. I was annoyed at that but did I just lash out and choke people, hurt them and beat them up. HELL NO!

Jimbeaux is right to be concerned about Billy. What if he did this at 18? He probably would be in prison for aggravated battery or aggravated assault. Billy needs to always get what he needs. HE does not need to always get what he wants. That is a recipe for disaster. I hope Jimbeaux is doing fine and I hope he has nipped all of this.

Aspergers does not give any of us a license to do what we want when we want. There are certain rules of civility and conduct I think we as aspies need to adopt.

League_Girl, you may know her as Spokane_girl, had an ex-bf who was a complete asshat. She can tell you more about him if she wishes. This guy was a complete user. Do you want Billy to be that?

What LtlPinkCoupe wrote about is not the same thing at all with Billy. The children LtlPinkCoupe wrote about are seen as objects. The parents there don't give one two s**ts about the child's future except as to how it impacts them. These parents are more concerned about their image more than the wellbeing of their children. VioletYoshi, you've got to be freaking kidding me.

Big Difference!! !

JimBeaux actually does care. He wants Billy to have an excellent and fruitful life. Part of that is self-control. What if Billy was the type who wanted to expose himself to other people? Should he be allowed to do this?

You are mixing apples and oranges is what you're doing.

These Parent's top priority = Themselves and Their Image

Jimbeaux's Top priority = Billy's Wellbeing and future.

How can you not see this huge gap here?

I will admit, I'm not fond of authority figures myself. In fact, ASDMommyASDKid has a child and they were doing fractions as an example.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5369788.html

IMHO, this child's school mind raped the poor boy by doing a whole Orwellian double think on the child.

What is the rationale basis for your thinking. I don't get it. In detail, how should a child be reared and brought up? What discipline methods would you use?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 25 Apr 2014, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

I don't know...I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come back here.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 11:19 pm

I'm an aspie. I'm 50 years old and when I was growing up, nobody knew about AS. I was just shy, weird, awkward, etc. I learned not to be that way. It was hard, real hard. Luckily I met some people outside my smothering controlling family who decided to teach me to interact with society on it's own terms so I could end up the lady I am now and now the 50 year old who still lives with her crazy mother and a bunch of cats, which I would have been had I not been taught how to deal with life on life's terms. My mother was and is nuts. She loves the attention she got because I had some respiratory problems and allergies as a kid, so I was treated like I was the sickest, most fragile thing on the planet and she explained away everything about me because of that. If she had known about AS then, I would have been wrapped in bubble wrap, put on a shelf, and catered to my entire life and protected and never had a chance to live my life, only to exist through it on her terms.

Just because we have AS doesn't mean we can't learn. It doesn't mean we can't be taught how to change or control the things about us that cause us problems. I personally value the fact that I was taught what I was taught, and I know that the fact that it was painful to go through and force myself to learn those things is much less of a problem to me now than it would be to have been stuck in the horrible life I would have lived had I never had the chance to learn them.

I'm also a parent and grandparent. My kids are NT's except now I think my youngest son may be a bit of an aspie. He sure acts like it. In everything except the social skills department though. He's real outgoing and could sell iceboxes to Eskimoes but everything else about him makes me think he has it too. He didn't even talk till he was about 4. He's the one with ADHD too, who just went off his meds cause he's 19 now and we don't have Medicaid anymore for him and the only one he can tolerate is Vyvanse and it's expensive and he doesn't have a job at the moment and plus even if he did he wouldn't spend it on that, and his gf doesn't make enough to pay for the dr and the Vyvanse, which she would do but then they wouldn't have much money cause she only works part time at the moment. However, if there was something about my kid that was holding them back, I would want to do anything I could to fix that for them so it wouldn't hold them back any more. Whats so wrong with that? What is wrong with wanting your kid to fit in with the world instead of wanting to change the entire world to fit in with your kid?

What has changed so much that we must spare every kid, every little bit of discomfort and effort that they may not want to put forth to learn the same things we all learned growing up? I do know that some people have a harder time than I did. I know that some people have more severe AS and autism than I do or at least I guess mine is mild, no telling what it was back then. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40's and only then because somebody else noticed it in me, who knew what they were talking about so I went to referrals and all. It didn't change anything for me, it just explained a lot about me to myself, which actually did help.

I mean look at the world we live in now. People are so overboard about sparing every kid, NT's too you know, any inconvenience or disappointment or discomfort that we even have sports teams they join which accept everyone and let everyone play and also don't even keep score! Whats going to be next, not grading papers because not being the best little sparkly snowflake out there could possibly lower some kids self esteem by a degree, rather than make the kid decide to work harder on something to be better? What happened to us that the concept of being better than we are is such a bad thing? Cause it implies that you aren't perfect from the first breath you draw? Guess what, we aint! Nobody is. Kids who are taught nothing more than to make themselves happy that the world is wrong for not catering to them are going to just ruin the world when they grow up. If we have a generation of them, just imagine the hell that will break loose because of it.

We are human beings and we have to function with other human beings. Can we all do it perfectly? No. Can we all do it even good? No. Can we all try the best that we can and be told what it is we aren't doing right so we can try to fix it? Yes.

Unless people plan on moving to a commune and spending your life holding hands and telling each other how wonderful and special they are and really doing nothing more in life besides getting by and composting, then I'd suggest learning the fact that we all have to have a thicker skin than we are born with to survive. It hurts getting it, but it's worth it. Take it from somebody who has seen both sides of the tracks and been run over by the train from both sides too.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 11:38 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'm an aspie. I'm 50 years old and when I was growing up, nobody knew about AS. I was just shy, weird, awkward, etc. I learned not to be that way. It was hard, real hard. Luckily I met some people outside my smothering controlling family who decided to teach me to interact with society on it's own terms so I could end up the lady I am now and now the 50 year old who still lives with her crazy mother and a bunch of cats, which I would have been had I not been taught how to deal with life on life's terms. My mother was and is nuts. She loves the attention she got because I had some respiratory problems and allergies as a kid, so I was treated like I was the sickest, most fragile thing on the planet and she explained away everything about me because of that. If she had known about AS then, I would have been wrapped in bubble wrap, put on a shelf, and catered to my entire life and protected and never had a chance to live my life, only to exist through it on her terms.

Just because we have AS doesn't mean we can't learn. It doesn't mean we can't be taught how to change or control the things about us that cause us problems. I personally value the fact that I was taught what I was taught, and I know that the fact that it was painful to go through and force myself to learn those things is much less of a problem to me now than it would be to have been stuck in the horrible life I would have lived had I never had the chance to learn them.

I'm also a parent and grandparent. My kids are NT's except now I think my youngest son may be a bit of an aspie. He sure acts like it. In everything except the social skills department though. He's real outgoing and could sell iceboxes to Eskimoes but everything else about him makes me think he has it too. He didn't even talk till he was about 4. He's the one with ADHD too, who just went off his meds cause he's 19 now and we don't have Medicaid anymore for him and the only one he can tolerate is Vyvanse and it's expensive and he doesn't have a job at the moment and plus even if he did he wouldn't spend it on that, and his gf doesn't make enough to pay for the dr and the Vyvanse, which she would do but then they wouldn't have much money cause she only works part time at the moment. However, if there was something about my kid that was holding them back, I would want to do anything I could to fix that for them so it wouldn't hold them back any more. Whats so wrong with that? What is wrong with wanting your kid to fit in with the world instead of wanting to change the entire world to fit in with your kid?

What has changed so much that we must spare every kid, every little bit of discomfort and effort that they may not want to put forth to learn the same things we all learned growing up? I do know that some people have a harder time than I did. I know that some people have more severe AS and autism than I do or at least I guess mine is mild, no telling what it was back then. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40's and only then because somebody else noticed it in me, who knew what they were talking about so I went to referrals and all. It didn't change anything for me, it just explained a lot about me to myself, which actually did help.

I mean look at the world we live in now. People are so overboard about sparing every kid, NT's too you know, any inconvenience or disappointment or discomfort that we even have sports teams they join which accept everyone and let everyone play and also don't even keep score! Whats going to be next, not grading papers because not being the best little sparkly snowflake out there could possibly lower some kids self esteem by a degree, rather than make the kid decide to work harder on something to be better? What happened to us that the concept of being better than we are is such a bad thing? Cause it implies that you aren't perfect from the first breath you draw? Guess what, we aint! Nobody is. Kids who are taught nothing more than to make themselves happy that the world is wrong for not catering to them are going to just ruin the world when they grow up. If we have a generation of them, just imagine the hell that will break loose because of it.

We are human beings and we have to function with other human beings. Can we all do it perfectly? No. Can we all do it even good? No. Can we all try the best that we can and be told what it is we aren't doing right so we can try to fix it? Yes.

Unless people plan on moving to a commune and spending your life holding hands and telling each other how wonderful and special they are and really doing nothing more in life besides getting by and composting, then I'd suggest learning the fact that we all have to have a thicker skin than we are born with to survive. It hurts getting it, but it's worth it. Take it from somebody who has seen both sides of the tracks and been run over by the train from both sides too.

Oh, wow, OOM ! !! ! :) :) :)

BTW, where have you been ? (((( hugs ))))) ... It is so good to see you around, too ! !! :) :) :)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 12:41 am

HisMom wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Oh, wow, OOM ! !! ! :) :) :)

BTW, where have you been ? (((( hugs ))))) ... It is so good to see you around, too ! !! :) :) :)

Hey hon! I've been around. Dealing with so much s**t that I feel like I'm roomates with the Gorrilas In The Mist lady and she brought some pets home who just throw poop at me. My mother is having serious health problems and we thought she was going to die any minute for the past week and a half, but now she seems better. I have other problems out the ass, and I'm wishing right now to just go into some kind of catatonic nervous breakdown. I'd so love to just spend my days sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of some insane asylum and staring out at the yard. But I can't seem to make my brain do that so I have to deal with all this s**t still. If I could buy a one way ticket to Catatoniaville, I'd so go there. My second best friend killed herself last month. My first best friend is on drugs now. Bad ones. My husband is still the way he's always been emotionally supportivewise, which is dick. Financial problems, court problems for that f*****g rat dog he hit laying in the road when there was a leash law (3k in vet bills that he's court ordered to pay and just gotten back to work from being out of work for over a month and now it's all due now because he missed a payment - said rat was owned by a deputy sherrif that was retired so the judge ruled in his favor and ignored the leash law) and all kinds of everything. I'm losing it.

But though, I can at least take my mind of my worries and talk to friends. That actually works. So, tell me whats up with you? How's it been going? I ain't talked to you in forever it seems. Hit me up in the PM there. If you have a cell, we can actually chat if you want. Hows your little guy? We talked about him before. Whats up with the docs and all that? Also, is your husband being supportive? I know that I've read that a kid having autism can hurt a marriage, so right now at the beginning, if he does have it, it's good to talk to each other. (not that I'm the poster child for a healthy marriage lol). I also just turned 50 on the 20th. Ugh.

So anyway, thats where I've been. Inbox me!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com