how about a little variety, Alex!

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 6:01 pm

KimJ wrote:
Nan,
Last time I checked, Maryland is in the US. So, Ladybug lives in the US and is likely American.

Quote:
Hyperlexia is also common in Aspies, supposedly, and does not happen with Auties.

What is the source for this assertion? The now-defunct Hyperlexia society (the lay people most interested in this condition) claimed that it was a separate diagnosis, or should be. Others believe, if it exists, is a subset of ASD. Still others believe it's merely a coexisting trait that occurs among those with ASD. Early acquisition of pre-reading and reading skills seem to occur among a lot of autistics and not just among a particular set of them. I have never heard the claim that Hyperlexia is common in Aspies and non-existent in autistics.

I'll have to look that up - I definitely do remember reading that it's supposedly very common in Aspies and not in Auties and it's what I've been told. I'll post it when I find it, when I have time to look around for it. I know I've heard it in workshops and lectures. As I did point out, there are so many different viewpoints around an autism spectrum diagnosis that it's kind of like an ongoing argument, with some folks going to rabid extremes in their assertions and beliefs.

I don't know the Hyperlexia Society, sorry. Interesting that one existed. It seems a bit odd, to me, that there'd be a need for one, but, then, there's societies for everything else under the sun so I guess it shouldn't be so surprising.

Ladybug has used specific words that most Americans do not use ("dodgy" for one), and her sentences do not sound like a "typical" American wrote them - the syntax is odd. That's why I said I thought she was perhaps English or Australian. Maybe Canadian. People put bogus locations on their accounts from time to time, to mask where they are located. I have no way to know if Ladybug has or hasn't done that.

You have a funny avatar, by the way!

Last edited by Nan on 23 Nov 2007, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 6:10 pm

LadyBug wrote:
Nan wrote:
LadyBug wrote:
While I consider myself playful with glee, I'm not into all the baby names like Aspie and Autie. However, I'm versed on deriving nicknames in affection, associated with interpersonal experiences in feedback. Again, I'm relatively certain that Aspie was coined by Dr. Attwood and a woman whose name escapes me. With an intention to identify those who might have been mis-diagnosed over the years. In what in my opinion has become a "catch-all" diagnosis, that lends to attract those with a tendency toward grandiosity, in the association with an average to high IQ.

In any event, I'm glad Alex set up this board so that those of us who do share common issues can communicate with each other. Now that he's opened it up to persons who are not on the spectrum, the tone and focus of the board has changed quite a bit, but I still think it's a good thing as long as everyone remembers that the purpose of the board is primarily to support people on the spectrum.

Really? Because I was led to believe different, all those many years ago. Although, there was alot of conflict and power struggles going on back then.

It appears that you've heard a different story than I have. I had heard that Alex put the board together a few years ago (as in like 3 or 4 years) and got some friends to help him monitor it. It was his board, and some of the friends didn't like the way it was being run so they left. But other than that, it was set up to be a support system resource for us and as an information resource for parents and others who know us. I know it's grown exponentially (it seems) in the last two years.

LadyBug wrote:
Nan wrote:
I do have to make a personal comment about something you said. You indicated you considered the use of "Aspie" or "Autie" as baby terms. Perhaps they are "baby terms" in your culture, but they are not in mine - and this board is from my culture. It is quite common to abbreviate words to shorter terms here. I do not think you live in my country, though. You sound English or, perhaps, Australian.

In my country of America, as depicted in my Avatar when I was a young woman, abbreviations are generally made with removing the nouns. We have a melting pot of cultures that are very nice, when they don't become too politically top heavy, in Special Interest power mongering that drowns out the majority in the middle.

Removing the nouns? That makes no sense, sorry! Removing letters and parts from a longer word is what I was taught made an abbreviation. Shortening the whole word for convenience. Removing a noun from a sentence makes it a sentence fragment and tends to leave it unintelligible.

Interesting again. I live in California. It's all varied cultures. There IS no majority in the middle here. (There are probably some other people who think they are, but the actual population majority has now tilted over, just barely, to Hispanic from Mexico - somewhere in the 40% range, I think. There's a little wobble in the statistics - it depends on whose you look at. )

LadyBug wrote:
I'm familiar with the Hans Asperger story, as my Mom could have been one of the 1000 identical twins that survived Dr. Mengele's experiments, but the story can't be confirmed.

Wow, bummer for your mom! That would explain the word usage and sentence structure uniqueness, though. You grew up in a household where English was mixed with a different language, perhaps? Or where the English you heard was spoken in a cadence or structure that was nonstandard?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 9:44 pm

LadyBug wrote:
I'd like to point out there is no such diagnostic criteria for Aspies.

That turns out not to be the case. "Aspie", as was explained above, is an abbreviated term used to refer to someone with Asperger's Syndrome (AS), as the term, "person with Asperger's Syndrome", is perhaps a bit clunky.

As for diagnostic criteria for AS itself, I would refer you to this link.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:29 pm

I don't know how or why you, Nan, are scrutinizing Ladybug's writing style. She comes across as American to me. "Dodgy" is certainly common enough in this country.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 12:05 am

KimJ wrote:
I don't know how or why you, Nan, are scrutinizing Ladybug's writing style. She comes across as American to me. "Dodgy" is certainly common enough in this country.

Ladybug comes across to me as either someone foreign or someone who was, perhaps, raised with a substantial contact with non-Americans - her word usage and her choice of grammar structure are nonstandard. It's not a negative or a positive thing, it's just an observation.

The only other potential reasons I can hypothethize as to what might drive the way she writes are that she might have a medical issue - a history of stroke or a learning disorder, or that she may not have done much writing in school, or that she may not have gone very far in school. None of that is meant as a negative implication or as an insult to Ladybug, but as a guess as to why she writes in her particular style. She does not write in a manner typically found in standard American English. Ladybug uses a lot of sentence fragments, leaving key words out at times. She substitutes words. She seems somewhat unfamiliar with basic grammar. Her writing is a puzzle. I find her writing style to be interesting and somewhat exotic.

Why do I bother? When trying to carry on a conversation with someone else it helps to know as much about them as is possible and to tailor one's comments to their comfort zone, especially in cases where one is talking with someone of a different culture or ethnicity, or when that culture or ethnicity (or educational background, or intellectual level) is an unknown - as is often the case on the Internet. Hence, I look at everyone's writing on the Internet and attempt to tailor my response to be something that they will readily understand. (In everyday language, the writer should remember their audience when writing.)

As to how I try to do this: I look at syntax, logic flow, and word usage, primarily. For example, "dodgy" is a word that is primarily used in England (feel free to check the Merriam-Webster on that) and is not all that common in day-to-day conversation across the USA. The use of that word points me in a particular direction in trying to understand what Ladybug is trying to say. It may or may not be leading in an accurate direction, but the use of a word that is more commonly used overseas is definitely a "notice this" flag. If someone is communicating at a very basic vocabulary level I would respond at a similar level in the hope that I would get my meaning across to them. If they are using words more often associated with a foreign country, I would adjust my writing style to one that I knew was more compatible with something used in the country (if I was aware of it) in the hope that it would facilitate communication.

That is why I scrutinize Ladybugs', and everyone's, writing here, KimJ.

~~~

I had hoped to be able to continue the rather interesting exchange with Equinn, especially, as the topics are of interest to me and she has an interesting viewpoint. I was also doing my best to understand Ladybug, given her unique style of communicating; however, I have been told by others on this forum that what is actually happening here is that while I'm making an attempt to share information and get other's views, some individuals are "sniping" and attempting to "troll" the discussion. I don't see that happening, but I quite often don't and have to rely on people who I know are more adept at spotting the odd things that often creep into conversations on Internet boards for advice. I will now follow that advice.

Why in the world people can't exchange information without someone assuming there's an adversarial relationship involved is beyond me. It's a very sad thing, as it says so much about their lives.

I wish you all well, but am no longer interested in pursuing this conversation.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2007, 9:33 am

Nan wrote:
It appears that you've heard a different story than I have. I had heard that Alex put the board together a few years ago (as in like 3 or 4 years) and got some friends to help him monitor it. It was his board, and some of the friends didn't like the way it was being run so they left. But other than that, it was set up to be a support system resource for us and as an information resource for parents and others who know us. I know it's grown exponentially (it seems) in the last two years.

No stories, except my personal experience. You have some of what appears to be true in the beginnings, but I don't know much about the situation for those who left.

Nan wrote:
Removing the nouns? That makes no sense, sorry! Removing letters and parts from a longer word is what I was taught made an abbreviation. Shortening the whole word for convenience. Removing a noun from a sentence makes it a sentence fragment and tends to leave it unintelligible.

Correction: Removing vowels.

Nan wrote:
Interesting again. I live in California. It's all varied cultures. There IS no majority in the middle here. (There are probably some other people who think they are, but the actual population majority has now tilted over, just barely, to Hispanic from Mexico - somewhere in the 40% range, I think. There's a little wobble in the statistics - it depends on whose you look at. )

I mostly grew up in the vicinity of NYC, and middle America is the majority in the middle, between California and New York, that I see for being the entry points to culture.

LadyBug wrote:
I'm familiar with the Hans Asperger story, as my Mom could have been one of the 1000 identical twins that survived Dr. Mengele's experiments, but the story can't be confirmed.

Nan wrote:
Wow, bummer for your mom! That would explain the word usage and sentence structure uniqueness, though. You grew up in a household where English was mixed with a different language, perhaps? Or where the English you heard was spoken in a cadence or structure that was nonstandard?

Yeah, if the story is true, it could have been a bummer for my Mom and her identical twin, no doubt. She said they were only held captive for a week, and she didn't remember too much about it. No, only American English was spoken. Maybe it's because I sort of stopped going to school after 5th grade, but nobody knew. Also, it could be that my passion work was being an Assistant Air Traffic Controller, being trained in a language of words and numbers that reduced verbiage?

What are your interests, talents and/or field of work.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2007, 9:54 am

Nan wrote:
KimJ wrote:

Ladybug comes across to me as either someone foreign or someone who was, perhaps, raised with a substantial contact with non-Americans - her word usage and her choice of grammar structure are nonstandard. It's not a negative or a positive thing, it's just an observation.

Yes, and I've lived in many different places over the years. However, as I stated the particulars elsewhere, I'm not sure how much bearing that might have on the odd structure or syntax.

Nan wrote:
The only other potential reasons I can hypothethize as to what might drive the way she writes are that she might have a medical issue - a history of stroke or a learning disorder, or that she may not have done much writing in school, or that she may not have gone very far in school. None of that is meant as a negative implication or as an insult to Ladybug, but as a guess as to why she writes in her particular style. She does not write in a manner typically found in standard American English. Ladybug uses a lot of sentence fragments, leaving key words out at times. She substitutes words. She seems somewhat unfamiliar with basic grammar. Her writing is a puzzle. I find her writing style to be interesting and somewhat exotic.

No, nothing medical or learning disabled, in the information handed down to me, for my attributes of style that you find interesting and exotic. I have been a research participant for many years, that began to study Child and Adolescent Genetics and Development. They combed their records for me more than once upon asking, and insist there is nothing notably significant.

Nan wrote:
Why do I bother? When trying to carry on a conversation with someone else it helps to know as much about them as is possible and to tailor one's comments to their comfort zone, especially in cases where one is talking with someone of a different culture or ethnicity, or when that culture or ethnicity (or educational background, or intellectual level) is an unknown - as is often the case on the Internet. Hence, I look at everyone's writing on the Internet and attempt to tailor my response to be something that they will readily understand. (In everyday language, the writer should remember their audience when writing.)

So, I've been told about a writer catering to an audience. Don't you think you might drive yourself nuts, in trying to profile an audience? You're still going to get someones goat, no matter what you say or do.[/quote]

Nan wrote:
As to how I try to do this: I look at syntax, logic flow, and word usage, primarily. For example, "dodgy" is a word that is primarily used in England (feel free to check the Merriam-Webster on that) and is not all that common in day-to-day conversation across the USA. The use of that word points me in a particular direction in trying to understand what Ladybug is trying to say. It may or may not be leading in an accurate direction, but the use of a word that is more commonly used overseas is definitely a "notice this" flag. If someone is communicating at a very basic vocabulary level I would respond at a similar level in the hope that I would get my meaning across to them. If they are using words more often associated with a foreign country, I would adjust my writing style to one that I knew was more compatible with something used in the country (if I was aware of it) in the hope that it would facilitate communication.

That is why I scrutinize Ladybugs', and everyone's, writing here, KimJ.

~~~

I had hoped to be able to continue the rather interesting exchange with Equinn, especially, as the topics are of interest to me and she has an interesting viewpoint. I was also doing my best to understand Ladybug, given her unique style of communicating; however, I have been told by others on this forum that what is actually happening here is that while I'm making an attempt to share information and get other's views, some individuals are "sniping" and attempting to "troll" the discussion. I don't see that happening, but I quite often don't and have to rely on people who I know are more adept at spotting the odd things that often creep into conversations on Internet boards for advice. I will now follow that advice.

Why in the world people can't exchange information without someone assuming there's an adversarial relationship involved is beyond me. It's a very sad thing, as it says so much about their lives.

I wish you all well, but am no longer interested in pursuing this conversation.

Well, maybe you need to stop listening to those "others"? Because I think whoever they might be, the fervor about trolling shows them to be f****d up in the head. I hope I've given you enough of what you want for personal disclosure.

Last edited by LadyBug on 24 Nov 2007, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2007, 10:06 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
LadyBug wrote:
I'd like to point out there is no such diagnostic criteria for Aspies.

That turns out not to be the case. "Aspie", as was explained above, is an abbreviated term used to refer to someone with Asperger's Syndrome (AS), as the term, "person with Asperger's Syndrome", is perhaps a bit clunky.

As for diagnostic criteria for AS itself, I would refer you to this link.

No, I think it evolved from the intended use for those that were misdiagnosed, to being a shortened term for: Ass-pie. Socially driven by disgruntled spouses and lovers, hence the propensity for S&M methods to control what cannot be forcefully changed.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 4:37 pm

Personally, I love nudity. Problem is, I haven't seen any of it on this site. Most people are pretty supportive of other people. The people who aren't are called trolls. We take care of them. As for Alex.
(disclaimer.....I like Alex, he's a personal friend). Alex started this site 'cause he's a good guy (really), There was a "revolt" a few years ago, but it was by a group of people who didn't realize how hard it is to keep something like this site going. They died. Alex doesn't go anywhere without a laptop to monitor the site. That's why it's up most of the time. Advertising has begun in a very small measure to pay a little bit of the cost of keeping the site up. The rest comes out of Alex's pocket.

I've never noticed that anyone has ever paid a penny to join. Right now, we have what, 14 thousand plus members. I joined with we had 2 thousand.

Alex has a policy with his moderators. If it isn't against the terms of service, and it isn't a personal attack, leave it alone.

We're all very lucky to have this site, (given that Alex is in school, and he has a personal life, and he's AS to boot). So.....if you're looking for nudity, more power to you. I can't find anything that's indecent, whatever that is. Most of the avitars are very conservative, and some of them are really creative.....and above all, and this is the most important thing, this is a very safe (emotionally as well as other things) site. That takes work.
I'm just sayin.

Beentheredonethat

FleaCircus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Nov 2007, 9:13 pm

um.. wow.
This thread; totally blown out of proportion.
8O

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2007, 2:49 am

What does this have to do with anything? Lamest thread ever.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 5:11 am

"Dodgy" is in common usage in Australia to describe something that is fake or fraudulent. No doubt it is also used in the USA.

Nan, I don't know what you would make of my writing style.

There are still rumblings of discontent from some people who used to be on Wrongplanet but got banned.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 5:24 am

Don't look at me, I'm frightening!

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2007, 3:45 pm

Pandora wrote:

There are still rumblings of discontent from some people who used to be on Wrongplanet but got banned.

That might be an understatement, in what might be a collective tendency for rebel rousing. Things might get hot in here again. What forum are these delinquents hangin' out?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 2:39 pm

As for the anughty bits avatar I imagine she is referrin gto poster whose name is something like "ass burger" Its somewhat distasteful, and I'm sure offensive to many, but not something that I see as being criteria for censorship