hi ive not posted for ages, but really need some advice

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mumto2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2008, 4:33 pm

ouinon wrote:
Mumto2 wrote:
I can't pay for a home teacher for him as we have a mortgage, another child etc etc, so do I send him to special school? He is very clever and I KNOW that. I spend my life worrying about his future and what will happen to him and I'm at the end of my tether to be honest, I just want something to help him.
I know that I'm not supposed to get polemical, and I really am not being.

I really feel for your trouble, and have no intention at all of being heavy. I just have a question, because i am not sure that i have understood your circumstances:

You say you could not afford a "home-teacher". Do you mean that there is there no parent who could be at home to homeschool your son? ( in other words you would have to pay someone). Because then i am absolutely not going to be able to offer any advice myself because we have solved things with home-un-schooling, and I have no experience of seeking outside the home support services. i wish you the best of luck and courage.

If on the other hand you or another parent could stay home most days to look after your son then I seriously think home(un)schooling might be really helpful/worth a try. Have a look at "A day in the life of a Homeschooler" thread . Or pm me. It is a very peaceful and reassuring approach.

But I don't quite understand if you meant there is noone or not, so will leave it there.

Best wishes.

o

I wouldnt take offence as thats the last of my worries to be honest and appreciate any help. I have a 2 year old daughter at home and my husband is out before the kids are up and after they go to bed, so no I cannot home school, in an ideal world I would. I would not be able to afford a home teacher full time for my son unless I won the lottery!

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2008, 5:06 pm

Mumto2 wrote:
I have a 2 year old daughter at home and my husband is out before the kids are up and after they go to bed, so no I cannot home school, in an ideal world I would.
I'm sorry, :) I don't understand :? . Do you mean that you don't think you could have your son at home because it would be too much for you aswell as looking after your daughter?

Homeschooling doesn't need to mean full time or even set activities. Quite often children left to themselves find their own rhythm, however slow/different it might be, and find out lots all on their own.

You might find that after all the stimulation of school he will do very little at first. That might be very good for him, as he relaxes and learns to have confidence in himself again. Quite often homeschooling parents find their children need quite long periods of calm and rest, if have been having a tough time at school, before they can learn again.

While he is so young there is not really need for a syllabus/curriculum. You don't have to be a qualified teacher , ( except apparently now in California? ) to homeschool.

Sorry if I have misunderstood. And again good wishes finding the solution. :)

Bullying is awful. :cry: :(

8)

collywobble
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2008, 5:46 pm

our 6 year old son has one to one supporters who are just mum's of NT kids. they do not understand him and are actually making things worse. i found that our son's behaviour got worse once he started having 1:1 help at school. we have just received a proposed 'statement' from the l.e.a. which i will be contesting, and one of the things i want to tackle is the issue of the support he is receiving. the headmistress says that his 1:1 support is adequate but i know that they are neither qualified or trained to deal with our son. surely our son has a right to proper support from fully trained/qualified people. it seems the school have taken the cheap and easy option of employing a couple of mum's (job share) and think that's good enough!

i am having similar problems to you. where do you turn to for help!? parents in the uk seem to be left to fend for themselves. i have found the national autistic society very helpful in the past. in our area there is also a 'parent partnership' service which is run by our local council which helps with issues for special needs children and schools. they offer advice and can attend meeting with parents and school to help resolve any issues. they are apparently very supportive of parents. it might be worth checking if you have such a service with your local council.

i have had exactly the same problems with kids telling our son to do things. e.g. one boy told our son to go up to another boy in the playground and call him "fatty" because the other boy will like that. so our son did! thankfully one of the lunchtime controllers saw what was going on and the other kid got into trouble. however there have been many occasions when our son has got into trouble because of other kids taking advantage of him. i think the only thing you can do in this situation is ensure the supervisors/teachers watch out for this, and be mindful that this happens. i have also spoken to our son about this sort of thing and the fact that other kids will try to get him into trouble. i think the only way it will sink in though is by him learning from experience. our son understands after the event, but you can't prepare them for every eventuality!

it's very upsetting. don't do anything rash about changing schools. your son is doing well academically so they're getting that right. have you had a meeting with the school head and told them your worries? tell them what you want them to do.

i have considered teaching our son at home myself. i could not afford a home tutor either. i think i am up to the job and if the worse comes to the worse at school, i would teach our son at home myself. you are perfectly within your rights to do this. however, i will absolutely exhaust every avenue with the lea before doing this.

does your son display adhd type behaviour at home as well? the reason for asking is that our son's school were suggesting adhd due to our son's impulsive behaviour at school, but our son is fine at home. in fact he does not show any violent behaviour anywhere other than at school. the reason for his behaviour at school is due to him not being understood and supported in the correct way at school. our son's outbursts are due to aspergers, not anything else. if your son is showing adhd behaviours at home and elsewhere then that's different!

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 4:23 am

These are my experiences: (my son is very autistic, despite being intelligent, and serverely impulsive without ADHD medication. Other children might need less autism specific help.)

We had unqualified one-on-one help for our son, at a normal kindergarten, and it just didn't work. He ran from one activity to the next, was very violent and impulsive, and was suffering so much he started pooing his pants. He stuttered, stimmed and was a nervous wreck!

It was quite a fight to get proper help - awful seeing my son getting worse and worse. The fight was worth it, as proper help - and good medication - means he has blossomed, is happy and has a great self-esteem. He needs people who know what they are doing!!

The interesting thing is, that he is easy to be around as long as the same strategies are used by all teachers/grown ups - in our case TEACCH. If people know what they're doing, they're are no problems!
TEACHH supplies visualisation (pictures are my son's "mother tongue", despite his good language skills) and predictibility.

He does much better when he is on his own with an adult. Other children - especially his 2 year old brother - are very unpredictable, and "mess up" structure :D .! ! It wouldn't be good for him to be at home with his baby brother all day.
Their needs are very different and often quite the opposite of each orther! On the other hand, time in the afternoon and evening with his brothers is good for flexibility and social skills.

He needs underlying structure, and activities 24/7 - meaning that we even had to teach him to play in his room or do other ativities on his own. So "playing on his own" is an activity, too.

In my experience AUTISTIC KIDS CANNOT FIND THEIR OWN RHYTHM.

Creating a rhythm and routine unleashes energy for more important things, like achedemic and social learning.
Creating a rhythem for them is huge part of making their lives bearable. IMO not helping an autistic child by creating a predictable structure verges on child abuse.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Mar 2008, 4:46 am

katrine wrote:
In my experience AUTISTIC KIDS CANNOT FIND THEIR OWN RHYTHM. IMO not helping an autistic child by creating a predictable structure verges on child abuse.
I think that it may be important to distinguish between Aspergers ( which is what Mumto2's son has) and other/different/more severe forms of Autism.

And perhaps between your idea of rhythm and theirs.

The only fixed points in my son's day are "official homework" at around 14.00 for an hour and a quarter/half , and "saying goodnight" time at 20.30. Also the computer is always in the same place, i do not touch his room except after negotiation, and there is usually at least one cooked meal once a day.

He definitely does not like the unexpected, etc, and is likely to freak out about activities which he has to join in with if he does not know when they will finish. When he is obliged to do something, or has to do what we do/is dependent on us, on holidays, out of house, etc, ( or school, if he went to school.....) then he needs firm outlines to the activity. ( like me! :) )

:!: He quite reasonably seems to require that if anyone imposes an activity on him that they should provide clear indication of how long this will be for. :D :wink:

But with his own self-directed activity he doesn't need any fixed routines at all. :D

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 24 Mar 2008, 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mumto2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2008, 4:53 am

katrine wrote:
These are my experiences: (my son is very autistic, despite being intelligent, and serverely impulsive without ADHD medication. Other children might need less autism specific help.)

We had unqualified one-on-one help for our son, at a normal kindergarten, and it just didn't work. He ran from one activity to the next, was very violent and impulsive, and was suffering so much he started pooing his pants. He stuttered, stimmed and was a nervous wreck!

It was quite a fight to get proper help - awful seeing my son getting worse and worse. The fight was worth it, as proper help - and good medication - means he has blossomed, is happy and has a great self-esteem. He needs people who know what they are doing!!

The interesting thing is, that he is easy to be around as long as the same strategies are used by all teachers/grown ups - in our case TEACCH. If people know what they're doing, they're are no problems!
TEACHH supplies visualisation (pictures are my son's "mother tongue", despite his good language skills) and predictibility.

He does much better when he is on his own with an adult. Other children - especially his 2 year old brother - are very unpredictable, and "mess up" structure :D .! ! It wouldn't be good for him to be at home with his baby brother all day.
Their needs are very different and often quite the opposite of each orther! On the other hand, time in the afternoon and evening with his brothers is good for flexibility and social skills.

He needs underlying structure, and activities 24/7 - meaning that we even had to teach him to play in his room or do other ativities on his own. So "playing on his own" is an activity, too.

Creating a rhythm and routine unleashes energy for more important things, like achedemic and social learning.
Creating a rhythem for them is huge part of making their lives bearable. IMO not helping an autistic child by creating a predictable structure verges on child abuse.

Very intresting you should say that about your son being fine on his own with an adult as my son is exactly the same - fine on his own but as soon as he is round other kids, specially young kids, he goes hyper overload, probably due to too much noise and fast pace - my son has only been diagnosed so Im still learning loads - im starting to realise that most children with asd can be a lot like my son when over stimulated - Im so glad I found this site!

Mumto2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2008, 4:56 am

Mumto2 wrote:
katrine wrote:

Very intresting you should say that about your son being fine on his own with an adult as my son is exactly the same - fine on his own but as soon as he is round other kids, specially young kids, he goes hyper overload, probably due to too much noise and fast pace - my son has only been diagnosed so Im still learning loads - im starting to realise that most children with asd can be a lot like my son when over stimulated - Im so glad I found this site!

Meant to say when over stimulated and when their routine changes.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 6:06 am

Have you looked into/read about sensory disorder?
My son is easily overloaded by sight, sound and smell, too, and it definately made him hyper (unmedicated: at best he would run in litttle circles, climb, knoc things over - at worst he would lash out.)
He is much better at verbalising his discomfort and withdrawing to a quiet place now. But he uses a lot of energy managing, and it takes its toll... can still make him meltdown.