Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 6:49 pm

Let's write the funny things our darlin' little ones have said! I would love to hear from you. I want to laugh.

Nate is four years old and has recently said the following:

"Marriage is like jail" He said this when I started talking about marriage to someone.

While watching animal planet, Nathan saw a donkey carrying stuff up the mountain. Nate said, "The donkey told that person, 'I am working my butt off guy!"

My husband was mad at the weed whacker and toss it. Nate said, "I need to draw an exit for daddy!" He proceeded to get his sidewalk chalk and then drew a picture of daddy with a smile. He then drew a big X through his daddy and said, "There is an exit for daddy. When we get a new weed whacker, exit will not be needed."

I am one hungry boy. I am hungry from morning to dark, morning to dark, morning to dark (about 8 times) and then said, "Yesire, I am one hungry boy!"

There are so many others but unlike my son, my memory stinks. As I hear more funny ones, I will add them.

Nate was just now trying to put a leash on the dog and said, "Oh boy, I need a miracle." I told him that the dog has gained some weight and then he said, "Oh, thank goodness!" I don't know where that came from because our dog is now technically fat.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 7:00 pm

i used to get really mad when my parents talked about stuff that i said that they thought was funny.

i didnt think it was funny :o

so eventually i just tried my best to not tell them things.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 7:09 pm

Wow! thanks so much for telling me that!! ! I honestly had no idea and a lot of others don't either.

The thing with Nate is that he sometimes laughs like with what he said about the donkey. I do tell people things he says because I think he is very creative. I don't want to talk like that if he doesn't think it's funny. I do believe sometimes, he does think it's funny because of the way he acts after he said it. Gosh, is he just playing along with me and may not think it's funny?

Shayne, thank you. Please help so I don't make the same mistake. Any suggestions?
Do other Aspies or HFA feel the same way? Does it depend on the person??

That made me feel a little guilty. Perhaps I should edit my first post? I don't want to bring up bad memories for people. I love my son and the way he talks. I wouldn't have him any other way!!

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 7:38 pm

of course it's going to depend on the person and of course it's going to depend on the parent-child relationship and of course it's coming from a place of love.

but then after years of not being taken seriously, it can become pretty frustrating to be laughed about.

i say, have your fun, but remember that not everything is a joke.

even for things that sound funny, sometimes we just have to stop and think and have some respect and consideration and not play everything off as a joke.

and it's the absolute worst when you go through that and then your real jokes aren't taken for jokes at all, be they ignored or ridiculed. how confusing is that situation?

he may think it's fun now but, just be aware of how he responds over time. if you notice him get really quiet and withdrawn when you are having a good time, especially if you are talking about him.. take the time to see what's up and if anything that you said is upsetting him.

it is fun to see someone that you love respond in a positive way to something you said or did but if it gets to the point that you dont feel that the person takes you seriously, then it stops being fun.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 9:09 pm

Good points.

Most of the things that I write on here, he seems to think it is a joke except for the "exit" one. He was trying to express dad's anger by saying that dad needed an "exit." When I told my mom about that on the phone, I thought it was more interesting than actually funny. He was quite creative in his expression regarding the situation.

I do take him seriously a lot. He has such good information. It's hard not to take him seriously. That little mind is going all the time.

I see what you are saying, though. I will definitely be a little more mindful when I think he is joking and isn't. I feel I can read him pretty well. Before I say anything to people about what he has said, I will make sure how he feels. I just need to make sure that I am reading the situation appropriately myself. He usually does this facial expression when he is joking about something. I can't explain it. When he is saying something that needs to be taken seriously, I can usually tell. He gets more excited or strong willed about the subject and sometimes starts to stammer or stutter.

I am just amazed at the things that come out of his mouth. For example, he says "That is a dinkhonk" when something is silly.

You have really given me some good information. I will be very mindful of that. Thanks!! !! If you didn't say that, I probably would not have thought about it as much.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 9:17 pm

natesmom - I do not remember much at all about when I was a child, but my father wrote one thing I spoke when I was ~ 4.5 years old. I rarely spoke, so I suppose any words were memorable for him. He wrote about when he took me to Hawaii - note that I'm an Alaskan, lifelong. He wrote we were at a sandy white beach, which would be totally foreign to me. At home I've always loved to play in the snow (still do). In this sandy white beach he placed me down and I said, "Mmmm, warm snow!"

I think Nate is 'right on the mark' with his sayings - and personality!

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2008, 9:27 pm

I don't think it hurts to have a laugh at some of the things our kids come out with. Both my AS son and two NT other children come out with classics. Just because you have a laugh at something an AS child does, doesn't mean you're getting at them - it is just cute - the same as with an NT child. There are plenty of magazine pages full of funny things kids did. I take the point that it needs to not go over the boundary where you end up belittling people, as Shayne mentioned, or picking on traits.

Here is something my AS son said awhile back (and I see it as something that either of my NT children could have said, so am not getting at any AS traits here). He was wanting to go for a walk on his own and I was doing the subtle stranger-danger thing by saying, "If anyone offers you a ride home, don't take it, etc." (not mentioning the evils of why). Anyway, he went off, and one minute later the door flung open and he yelled, "Mum, if I walk a long way and I get really tired . . . then can I have a ride home!! !!" (Ok, so I thought it was funny.)

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 12:18 am

I can see Nate saying what both of you said!! So very cute!

the whole marriage is like jail saying throws me for a loop! There is no way he can come up with that on his own - i don't think!

jbollard
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2008, 6:57 pm

Thanks natesmom!, I love hearing kids lines.

My husband & I always have a laugh at what the kids say, I have a 4yr HFA and a 7yr ASD and I think it is important that they develop and feel comfortable with there personalities.

I think it's all about expressing one's self, enjoying the moment, and reading facial cue's. Both my sons get a buzz if they make my husband and myself laugh. I think it also gives them confidence within themselves.

We as parents know our children, and if were to see that maybe that they weren't getting the joke, or was getting upset about it, we would stop.

My 7yr and 4yr old were in the car, (usually they fight) but on this occasion, my 7yr said to the 4yr "You make me feel happy - Did you know that?" he repeated a few times.
I praised this comment by saying that it was such a lovely thing to say to your brother.
The next morning they were both fighting with each other, and the 7yr was repeating to the 4yr "I hate you!". I then said what happen, only last night you were saying to your brother that he makes you feel happy.
My 7yr replied "I forgot to add sometimes!"

If we cant laugh, we'd cry. Doesn't laughter make us all feel better? :D

t0
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 7:08 pm

natesmom wrote:
Shayne, thank you. Please help so I don't make the same mistake. Any suggestions?

I used to feel the same way as a teenager when I heard my mother talking about me on the phone to her friends. I actually told her that I didn't want her talking about me to other people. I'm a private person and I don't appreciate it - good or bad. It also had a lot to do with my lack of self-esteem at that age.

I don't know that this qualifies as funny in the same way you're describing, but my father told me a story about him driving around with me in the car when I was young. We were stopped at a traffic light and he didn't immediately go when the light turned, so I yelled "Step on it Turkey!"

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 11:11 am

OK I am also one of the ones that had parents that never quite got it when I was joking or being serious. So I don't really like them repeating things I said, or did for that matter, or what I wear, forget it, I don't like them talking about me at all. But it does depend on the parent.

And I have to add one of my own sayings.

(Me at 8 yrs old) My sister (14 at the time) and mother were talking about this guy that had been talking to my sister (i don't know who the guy was). I walk up and say "He just wants to get into your skivvies." In front of both mother and sister.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:11 pm

natesmom wrote:
Wow! thanks so much for telling me that!! ! I honestly had no idea and a lot of others don't either.

The thing with Nate is that he sometimes laughs like with what he said about the donkey. I do tell people things he says because I think he is very creative. I don't want to talk like that if he doesn't think it's funny. I do believe sometimes, he does think it's funny because of the way he acts after he said it. Gosh, is he just playing along with me and may not think it's funny?

That made me feel a little guilty. Perhaps I should edit my first post? I don't want to bring up bad memories for people. I love my son and the way he talks. I wouldn't have him any other way!!

I feel the same way but unfortunately, I can't remember any examples to tell whether they were something that people would think were funny or just my parents being jerks. I do know I avoided all gatherings with my dads family because he'd use it as an opportunity to make fun of me with them. Which is a shame, as i probably would have gotten along with that family