Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 1:51 am

Nate is in kindergarten again because he was the youngest last year. WE talked about the pros and cons of repeating again and he really wanted to do it again. It is at a different school, different curriculum. I thought he would get bored because he is at a mid 1st grade level in reading and math.

So

This year he is doing so well. He is not anxiety ridden, probably because school is easy for him. He has many friends, many. I have seen him during recess and he is interacting. ONe time I saw him looking at the ground at something. Other kids were also aroung that something. As I got closer, I noticed they were all looking at spilled milk. There were about 8 kids surrounding it as Nate was saying, "Look at the white river flow. Oh, there is a tree floating down the river. We need a dam." The kids were just watching and looked interested. He seems like a leader this year. On the first day of school I asked him how he liked it. He said, "It was better than anyone ever expected!" He really doesn't mind doing kindergarten again. His work is so easy as he is copying his ABC's and 123's yet again. He can read. I asked him if he has read at school and he laughed while saying, "Oh no." I found out that he would rather take the easy road. That is alright with me. He is concentrating on his social skills, which he needed. At home, he reads 1st to 2nd grade level books. I am not letting him off that easy. Nate seems to be at his developmental level this year!!

He really doesn't seem to be on the spectrum anymore. He did hit another kid last week because Nate started to talk and the other kid interrupted him. He kissed a boy that afternoon. The teacher told me that kissing has been occurring a lot in the classroom. Those behaviors are typical of some kindergarteners. Other than that, he is doing well! When other kids mess something up of his or invades his space, he is fine or seems fine. It will be interesting to see what happens as he gets older. Perhaps he will, once again, look like he is on the spectrum. For now, I just don't see it nor does anyone else

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2009, 10:58 am

I'm so glad your little guy isn't have the same anxiety stuff going on as last year! That must also be such a stress reliever to you as well.

I just had a parent/teacher meeting with my Kindergarten child's teacher. Apparently my child that NEVER stops talking had not spoken in 3 weeks while he is at school!! Such a surprise there.

Just keep him reading at home! It'll be a great advantage in the next couple of years for him and might make other things a little easier as well.

Wishing you and your little guy the best!

Det

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm

I'm all smiles reading about how well he is doing. He may always BE on the spectrum, but he won't always LOOK like it, and that is because our kids are capable of really thriving when happy and comfortable. A good place to be :)