Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:13 pm

My son is diagnosed with PDD-NOS and appears to have a mild form of autism. He is four.

I may or may not be on the spectrum (very mild), but I know I have traits.

I have always had a really lousy sense of direction. I'm trained as a Licensed Vocational Nurse, but I work in a small long term care facility because I would easily get lost in a big urban hospital (I would eventually be able to find my way around - but I would fool so foolish getting lost until I really get comfortable). I have lived in the same city all my life, but get very easily disoriented. Luckily, there are natural landmarks (mountains) to show me which way "north" is.

My son appears to have a much better sense of direction - we will be driving and if we turn away away from where he wants to go - he will say, "no, not that way - I want to go (home, over the bridge or ??? - depending on the situation). One time, I was walking with him and his baby sister through some urban trails in my neighbourhood. I suddenly couldn't remember whether to take the left or right trail. I asked my four year old son and said, "which way?" He selected the right trail!

What are some of your experiences (both with yourselves and/or your children)?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:51 pm

I know I asked my brother if he could be in an unfamiliar place on a cloudy day and tell where North was and he said yes. I can't find my way out of a doctor's office.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 8:14 pm

Several years ago I began driving a cab in my hometown, and I was shocked to discover how often I became disoriented and even lost. Six years later, I went to work in the warehouse of a very large facility that was part of an international company and spent nearly a month learning my way around in there. Just a month ago, I pushed the "North" button on the control for an overhead bridge hoist while actually wanting to go "South", but I was not standing in my usual spot at the time.

Feed and nurture your son well, eh?!

We need more people like him in this world.

PS: I just remembered ...
I once pulled out of a filling station and headed on down the road only to next feel my wife tapping me on the shoulder while asking where I was going. "I'm going for a ride on my bike," I answered back. "Where are you going?"
"I am on vacation," she said, "and I was going the other way before we stopped for gas." So, I slowed it down and turned it around and on we went in the other direction!

number5
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:50 pm

My son has AS and I share many traits. He has an amazing sense of direction which I think is related to his strong memory. At age 3, we were visiting our old neighborhood that we had not been to since he was 1 1/2 and he could precisely tell us which turns to make to get to our old house. Our old neighborhood is 3 hours away. He still likes to be the backseat driver which is a good thing considering how easily I get lost.

When I was young, I also had a wonderful sense of direction. I used to love getting lost because I knew it would easy and fun to find my way back. Now, I get lost in the mall. I'm not sure when or how I lost my sense of direction, but it might have something to do with mommy brain. :)

05 Oct 2009, 11:01 pm

I have a very good sense of direction. I remember which way I came from so if I get lost, I can find my way back. People seem impressed by it but hey I go by direction like I know what road I'm on so I know what it leads me too and if I know where downtown is at, I know which direction to head and head that way. I think people who live in their own area would have a good sense of direction too but no they don't. Yeah I get lost all the time going to places but I always find my way back if I miss a turn or take a wrong turn. Heck my mom and my grandmother almost got lost in Mazatlan and I was with them and we were looking around in stores and then we decided to head back and they couldn't even remember what direction we headed from so I knew where to go. I just used buildings and knowing what directions we took.

My husband has a very poor sense of direction but that is due to his disability so that's different. One day he had a seizure so it caused him to get lost downtown he finally had to ask someone where the courthouse square is at. He had walked 14 blocks from there. By then his seizure had probably ended because he was able to find his way back.