Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2006, 11:04 pm

My sister's youngest is 4 years old. She has always been a very assertive kid that throws major raging tantrums if things don't go her way. She is a very smart girl and she's always had a mind that likes to explore. If you don't keep your eye on her, she will wander off, or start messing with something that could be dangerous or that she may break...I hate to curtail this curiosity, but sometimes you got to do it for her own good. She's always had a sort of obsession with Disney Princesses, and totally enjoys everything that has to do with them, from playing dress-up, and a having all the toys and movies. So far, she's done very good in pre-school, and her temper tantrums are not as wild as they used to be.

My sister I don't believe has ever heard of A.S, and probably doesn't have any notion of her not being "normal". I guess it remains to be seen if she does or not, until she gets older, and starts attending real school. Looks like a rather mild case if she is an Aspie, since her social skills aren't too bad. She just could be an assertive child with a strong will.

Can a child this young be diagnosed? The chances of A.S. running in the family seem to be very high!

ster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2006, 7:19 am

my NT son was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine at that age....it could just be the age~hard to say.....he tantrumed at home, but was fine at school. We used to call my NT son "no fear" because he would do the most daring things, and not care if he got hurt~he'd just keep going.certainly you could keep an eye on things~can't hurt to do that.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2006, 12:06 pm

Four is probably a little young for an AS dx, just because children can vary so much in their development at that age, and sort of start and stop a little. In particular because she is a girl. My daughter is 6.5 now, and since she was about 3 she has obsessed over everything Barbie. Her room is painted pink, she owns a pink corvette electric car, every Barbie on the market since she was 3, Barbie and me outfits, well you get the idea. But she's the MOST nt one in our house.

I can't even recall my son, who is so clearly AS, having a real perseveration at 4. He liked to play with trucks and cars in the dirt, he enjoyed horror movies, and rode his bike like a champ. He's become more AS over the years rather than less. Now his floor in his room is covered in railroad tracks, his walls in calendars.