Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bigbear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2006, 12:07 pm

Last night my 11 year old aspie and I were going through his backpack and I came across a list of famous people. Then he remember he had a report to do (due today). We jumped on the computer, I figured I would type and he could tell me what he wanted to say. Well I am totally shocked at how my son couldnt stay focused at all! I tried everything! I feel like the more I am reading and learning the more I realize its worse than I thought. I am looking for a book or any helpful suggestions on writing a paper for school (5th grade). btw Im still waiting for the Doctors offical reports (they said he was defiantly AS while we were there and they would mail in there reports in 10 days, well its been 30 days). So Im not getting any help from the school until its official.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2006, 1:16 pm

As for the dr's reports - I know in our case the doc had to mail them to the central office, and it took the central office an eternity to get them to our son's campus. (Actually it took precisely until the day *after* I visited the central office LOL).

My son is also 11, also in 5th grade. We got our dx last year, he has nothing comorbid, although even though he wasn't dx'd with sid he has quite a few sensory issues.

There are some good books out there - The Out of Sync Child comes to mind although I can't recall the author(s) offhand. The Explosive Child can be helpful if your son is prone to meltdowns as ours is.

Once you get that dx and the accomodations with school, they may be able to help as well - more time for assignments, etc. I would also recommend www.wrightslaw.com if you haven't been there yet.

Large projects usually need to be well-spaced out for us unless it happens to be about something he perseverates on, in which case we have to drag him away from it to go to bed! The teachers now tell us a week or more ahead of telling the rest of the class when a project is coming so we can get a jump on it. Between the executive functioning issues and the meltdowns caused by stress of rushing, he'd get nothing done otherwise!

Good luck!

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2006, 2:18 pm

I'm not aware of any good books on report writing, just individual techniques. I suggest you ask in the teacher's forum at
www.LDonline.org The people there tend to be very helpful.

BeeBee

bigbear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2006, 3:32 pm

Thanks Beebee and Aspiemom, both websites were awesome. I got my reports in the mail last night! Im still lost lol, I was hoping it said "do x and it will fix everything" *sigh. anyway I ordered a copy of the wrightslaw so I can figure out what I need, Ive got an appointment with the teacher next week. thanks again