Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:52 pm

I will not be offended, I promise!
I have a real problem with the way autism is portrayed to the general public. I know that I can not reach people in the way Autism Speaks and others can but I am really tired of all the negativity. I have made some videos of my kids that I have on youtube but I am kind of nervous about having my kids out there displayed to the public. Also it is not their choice and they are not old enough to understand. At the same time there are so few videos, even on youtube that show happy children or good things about Autism. Its almost like some go out of their way to make their kids look bad like showing meltdowns and try to make it appear that they are like this 24/7. I have seen a couple of videos that are great and give a more positive view. So my question is, do you think that putting up youtube videos of my kids could be helpful to others? Is it dangerous or harmful to my kids? I dont like the idea of "using" my kids but I just want people to know that even though some things may be challenging my kids are happy, funny, smart and beautiful.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:20 pm

sounds like you are a super parent. by all means, if your kids are ok with it, and there is a security regimen in place, then let them display their gifts on youtube. it would be a public service.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:22 pm

Speaking personally, not philosophically, I really like seeing positive videos of autistic kids.

Philosophically... well, I don't know. I'm always bugged when people put their little kids in t-shirts with political messages on them. I could understand an argument against posting videos of them without their understanding or permission.

But I think it could be done with integrity, if you were speaking for yourself, not for them.

My husband puts up videos of our son without a qualm, btw. He is not identified as an autistic child, however. They're just cute videos to share with people.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 12:52 am

I understand your mixed feelings, and I know I have mixed feelings. In my home it's simple, my husband would never allow it, and the names of my kids or anything near identifying information will never make it into my posts. But, I think that if your husband is OK with it, and you know your children well enough to honestly believe they will someday be OK with it, you could dip your toes in. I would NOT use their names, however, or location, or anything else that could allow a creep to identify them. Similarly, keep info about you limited. I am amazed at how much some people put out there about their kids, and I cringe when I feel no sense of caution from the parents. But since I already know you recognize that they can't give permission, and that it concerns you, I believe that if you post something, you will use decent taste and judgment.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 1:05 am

Personally I think you're doing a wonderful thing for the autistic community. :) You're not exploiting your children at all.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 9:07 am

I am more of a private person, so I personally, would not do it. But I don't see anything wrong with it , if you feel comfortable with it.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 10:13 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I understand your mixed feelings, and I know I have mixed feelings. In my home it's simple, my husband would never allow it, and the names of my kids or anything near identifying information will never make it into my posts. But, I think that if your husband is OK with it, and you know your children well enough to honestly believe they will someday be OK with it, you could dip your toes in. I would NOT use their names, however, or location, or anything else that could allow a creep to identify them. Similarly, keep info about you limited. I am amazed at how much some people put out there about their kids, and I cringe when I feel no sense of caution from the parents. But since I already know you recognize that they can't give permission, and that it concerns you, I believe that if you post something, you will use decent taste and judgment.

Thank you and I do need to be careful because I sometimes do tend to give out too much personal information and realize it later. I will keep an eye on that. I have used my kids first names but I will not use our last name or our location. I mean I have made reference that I live in California but I am moving so I will be more guarded about our new location. This is one of the things I worry about is weirdos looking at my kids. I feel compelled to do something that could possibly help the Autistic community but I primarily want to protect my kids.

analogia
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2010, 10:56 am

I have benefitted from Youtube vids that portray Autism in a positive light, definitely. And yes, I too am very frustrated with the way it's portrayed in the media and modern culture.

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2010, 11:51 am

I wouldn't put anything identifying your children. Scour the footage to make sure there isn't anything identifying there either, like your house number, car license plates, etc... I wouldn't even use their first names just to be on the safe side.

Putting their images out there you do have to understand that pedophiles may view them. Once it's on the net it's open to ANYONE, as you know.

That said, I love seeing parents speaking positively about autism, and delighting in their autistic children. I've seen a bit of that here and there, not very much. So, I think it would be wonderful for you to share.

I find myself feeling annoyed and frustrated when parents aren't open about their children's autism. Why not? I think it's a form of social change to be open and proud of our children. I do understand intellectually that they are afraid of judgement, that they instinctively want to protect their children. There are sure to be other other reasons, too... I just know that the perception of what autism looks like needs to change. And I think parents can do a lot by being open about autism to advance public awareness, normalize it for their children, and instill a sense of pride about being different than the norm, thereby strengthening the child's self-esteem.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 12:27 pm

I think it's a great thing to do if you make sure your children can't be identified. That's why I refer to mine as Eldest Son, Middle Son, and Little Guy. They do have actual names. I try not to slip and post those.

MsLeeLoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2010, 4:01 pm

liloleme wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Thank you and I do need to be careful because I sometimes do tend to give out too much personal information and realize it later. I will keep an eye on that. I have used my kids first names but I will not use our last name or our location. I mean I have made reference that I live in California but I am moving so I will be more guarded about our new location. This is one of the things I worry about is weirdos looking at my kids. I feel compelled to do something that could possibly help the Autistic community but I primarily want to protect my kids.

I'm the same way, I'm not much on online anonymity at all & I usually don't bother. I think where it's being put has a lot to do with it, too, and I'd think Youtube is generally an ok place unless you troll it yourself (in which case it'd come back on you lol). I've yet to be cyberstalked and I've been myself online for a good 20 years or so. As for weirdos-- yes they're out there, in real life, too, but I doubt the subject matter of your films would really draw in the creep crowd either.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 5:55 pm

I like your vids. And I do like the idea of more positive portrayals of autistic kids online. So I guess it comes down to what DW said about being able to predict how your kids may feel about the exposure when they're older.

From about the age of 8 on my sons have been intensely private. I try to be careful about what I reveal about them online, because I know it will be upsetting if I reveal too much (this is hard sometimes when seeking advice or sharing, but at least keeping names anonymous helps). For example my son does this awesome thing where he bounces his head up and down on the end of a pill-shaped yoga ball while jumping, achieving incredible height! This is one of his main stims...he's doing it right now as I type, and it is sooooo cute and fun looking. I've often been tempted to post a vid, but heaven forbid it should go viral or something, he would be mortified!

I often wonder about these "mommy bloggers" who are blogging every minute of their kids' lives from birth. How are their kids going to feel about having every cutesy or embarrassing moment publicly revealed when they are older?

In your case though, since your main goal is to celebrate kids with autism, they may feel proud. It just depends on your kids.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 6:29 pm

liloleme wrote:
So my question is, do you think that putting up youtube videos of my kids could be helpful to others?

Yes, I do. As you say, the public impression is misleading, and helping to fix that would be good.

Quote:
Is it dangerous or harmful to my kids?

There's some small risk that a stalker will latch on to them, I suppose. Personally I think this risk is often exaggerated - there are millions of kids, but just one abduction and you're likely to hear about it on the news - but then, I'm sure a lot of people think that my wife's and my putting pictures of our kids up publicly is foolish.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 6:31 pm

annotated_alice wrote:
I often wonder about these "mommy bloggers" who are blogging every minute of their kids' lives from birth. How are their kids going to feel about having every cutesy or embarrassing moment publicly revealed when they are older?

We figure we can always take the blog down or make it private. Then if our daughter gets a boyfriend we object to, we'll give him access.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 6:49 pm

Right now my kids are really excited about seeing their videos and they are serious "hams" for the camera. So if they do get older and dont like it I can always take them down. I made one today of my daughter helping put the wet clothes from the washer into the dryer...Ill try to get that one posted tomorrow. I think Ill call it The Autistic Princess Does Laundry.....Ill just edit the part of her holding up my underwear and saying "Mommys underwears" :lol: .

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:50 am

liloleme wrote:
...do you think that putting up youtube videos of my kids could be helpful to others?

Yes. I appreciate the opportunity to hear different perspectives and learn from different people.

liloleme wrote:
Is it dangerous or harmful to my kids?

Yes, for reasons mentioned above. Plus, for me, the golden rule applies: Would my child want himself in an autism-related video? No. He's dreadfully embarrased of his differences right now and still trying to fit in.