Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mu_girl05
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2010, 2:35 pm

My son was diagnosed a few months ago with mild Asperger's. We had several behavior problems in preschool, such as aggressive behaviors and inappropriate talk which is actually what lead to testing. Kindergarten so far has been wonderful until today! His teacher informed me he showed a little girl his privates. This is one issue we had last year (he showed someone once or twice and talked about his privates). His counselor and I both discussed this with him and how you shouldn't show or discuss those things in public. I am assuming his father did too but since we are divorced I can't be sure. This is the first instance of this behavior we have had all year. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to stop? I am thinking of doing a social story, but I wondered if anyone else has had issues like this. My mind, of course, immediately jumps to worse case scenario of something happening to him (my ex has an older son I don't trust), but I also know these could just be signs of other things. He has been regressing a little in his toilet training; he "forgets" to wipe. He has been potty trained since he was two and had very few accidents since then. I just don't want us to have a bad year like in preschool. He has started off so great that I want it to continue!

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2010, 3:03 pm

I could be way off here, but I'm not sure this is even a problem. Don't all kindergarteners say and do inappropriate things from time to time? I mean, they're still pretty young and most of them probably don't have any embarrassment about their bodies yet, plus they're probably curious about each others' bodies. Obviously you should speak to your son about not showing off his bits anymore, but as long as he isn't whipping it out on a regular basis I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.

mu_girl05
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2010, 3:13 pm

Thanks. I'm trying not to worry too much about it, but it apparently was a big issues last year in preschool, and I just don't want it to be a problem again this year. I was always under the impression, like you, that this was fairly typical of kids his age, but his teacher last year made a big deal about it. So far this is the first instance of it, and the teacher hasn't said too much other than making me aware so we'll see how it goes.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 3:37 pm

In Tony Attwoods book Complete Guide to Asperger's he talks about using comic strip stories in addition to social stories. The difference with the comic strip stories is that you draw the people (stick figures are fine) involved in a scenario and their thought or speech bubbles. Because one common problem with AS is not understanding what other people are thinking, putting it on paper this way may help. Draw out the scenario of what happened in his interaction with the little girl including a thought bubble of her being shocked or surprised by his action and maybe include the teacher with her thoughts and words. This may help him to see how other people think and feel about his actions and hopefully help him understand why he shouldn't do it again.