no 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
not yet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
never 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

GabberKooij
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2010, 2:22 am

There is already a topic about recommended books. Is there any interest in a recommended software topic? If so then it would be nice to have it stick at the top.
It could have a some headers like: Freeware Windows, Commercial Windows, Apps on Itunes, Apps for Android etc.

And yeah, i would recommend my own software of course.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

Something to consider. My main concern would be that software is so fluid, ie that what is great this year isn't always what is great next year, and these stickies move more at the speed of turtles than the speed of hares. But if people are interested, it can probably happen.

GabberKooij

13 Oct 2010, 11:45 am

Well maybe I could maintain the first post to include a overview of all software mentioned? Then the rest of the topic can be used to comment about them and add new items to the list.

But ofcourse only if people are interested.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 11:47 am

Superboyian already started such a thread.

GabberKooij

13 Oct 2010, 1:08 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

Can you point me to the right topic? A search did not find it. Or is is a very generic topic? I would like this to be a topic about software for parents of children with autism

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 1:13 pm

GabberKooij wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Can you point me to the right topic? A search did not find it. Or is is a very generic topic? I would like this to be a topic about software for parents of children with autism

It's a general software topic, not one about autism specifically. If you're still interested, I'll try and find it for you.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:54 am

i would love to see a sticky software thread here in the parenting forum, something that pertains specifically to autism and children. maybe an inclusion of other programs, not just software. there is a dvd or cd set i read about somewhere that teaches facial expression interpretation, while not strictly software, it would be a good thing to have on a list about available programs. a sticky maintained by one poster is sooo much easier than digging through 5-10 pages in a thread =)

its a good idea even if there is a software thread elsewhere. i tend to think a lot of parents, particularly the NT ones, dont cruise the other forums much, at least nowhere near the time they spend here.

gabberkooij, thank you for the link to your own program. i hadnt heard of it before. already downloaded it =) ive been making visual schedules lately, and i think the simplicity of your graphics will work much better than the clip art ive cobbled together.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 11:27 am

As for the single list updating suggestion, a mod would have to maintain it; members ability to edit expires.

But you could start it, and periodically post recommended update posts, that a mod would integrate.

I think we're OK on room for it. Final approval would be Alex's, but I don't see a problem. There is already a plan to add one more sticky on something else, so we do have to watch on the volume.

GabberKooij

15 Oct 2010, 12:15 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
As for the single list updating suggestion, a mod would have to maintain it; members ability to edit expires.

But you could start it, and periodically post recommended update posts, that a mod would integrate.

I think we're OK on room for it. Final approval would be Alex's, but I don't see a problem. There is already a plan to add one more sticky on something else, so we do have to watch on the volume.

Wil Alex read this or should i contact him directly? I'm ok to create a updated post that can be copied to the first post. Then the post can be emptied with a message that the first post has been updated and interested people are notified that way.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 1:08 am

GabberKooij wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Wil Alex read this or should i contact him directly? I'm ok to create a updated post that can be copied to the first post. Then the post can be emptied with a message that the first post has been updated and interested people are notified that way.

While Alex sometimes reads the parenting board, I'm not under the impression it is favorite of his, so we can't count on him seeing this thread, no. I would suggest drafting the first post you would like for the sticky, putting it on this board as a regular post, and then posting a link to the thread on the WP Discussion board with a note that you are hoping the thread can be stickied, have already run it by parents on the board to assess interest, and have received positive input.