Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 11:00 am

My very emotionally sensitive sister gained 20 pounds due to the fact that some boy kissed her daughter. They're both 10 years old. Other things have happened to sis without weight gain but I guess this was too much. Can anybody relate because I cannot?

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:50 am

I can think of a few scenarios that would seem to make sense of it.

a.) There are many things in your sisters life that are unhappy/stressful/overwhelming, not just this 10 year old kiss, and she is eating to comfort herself. So the weight gain is a symptom of general unhappiness.

b.) She has some sort of medical problem causing sudden rapid weight gain (don't thyroid problems cause you to gain weight?), but is contributing it to this seemingly minor stress because she doesn't know how else to explain it.

c.) She herself has suffered sexual abuse, and her daughter's first kiss, albeit harmless and innocent, has triggered her own hurts and fears, causing her to fall into a downward spiral of overeating as a form of self harm.

d.) She feels somehow that she is failing as a parent. Maybe she is strictly religious? And feels that there is a slippery slope from first kiss to promiscuity, and is full of anxiety because of this.

Obviously, I have no clue. :) These are just the first thoughts that came to mind. And no, I can't personally relate, because I wouldn't view this as a noteworthy issue if it was my own child, as long as both kids were the same age and there was no coercion, bad feelings etc.