What is the downside for getting SSI for a child.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aflowerinyourhair
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

I am thinking about how it is going to follow them through life as an adult. I have heard that it can affect them negativly if there are certain jobs that they want to get. (I am thinking something like going into the military or becoming an engineer.) Please let me know if you have any information regarding this. I have been not wanting to get it for my kids if something is going to affect them like this as an adult.

Plus what can the money be used for? How would I use this for their benefit?

Thanks for your help!

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 10:48 pm

my experience with ssi is pretty limited, weve only had it for our youngest for a couple months.

you do have to declare what the money was used for. as far as im aware, thats in questionaire form, you do not have to provide receipts, and you get the reports usually once a year (paper mail, or you can do them online too). its to be used to pay living expenses, the ssa lists those as "food, clothing, shelter, utilities, dental and medical care and personal comfort items, or reasonably foreseeable needs". so it can be used for most things, except the obvious like gambling, vacations, etc. you are not allowed to use ssi for YOUR living expenses, just the child's, but joint things like food and utilities should be fine if you calculate out the child's portion.

one thing to be cautious of, you are suppose to save or invest any money not used for monthly living expenses. you need to make sure you spend it all tho, because if you accumulate anything over $2000 in savings for your child, they are then disqualified to receive ssi. kind of a catch 22.

i dont see that there is any danger of having it "follow them through life as an adult". mainly because ssi gotten as a child must be reapplied for once they hit 18, so you could always choose not to apply for benefits once they are an adult. the only way i could see it affecting their future is if they dont have a formal diagnosis and you get them diagnosed for the purpose of getting ssi, then that formal diagnosis can affect things like future military service, but shouldnt negatively affect their college or choice of career. there may be some private sector jobs where they wouldnt want someone with certain diagnosed disabilities, but for the most part employers arent allowed to ask about mental health issues and you do not have to disclose medical info to them. the engineering field tho is full of autistics =)

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

Aflowerinyourhair
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2011, 12:40 am

I was just wondering because I wanted to keep as many options open for my kids as I can. But I see with the diagnoses alone they can be disqualified anyways. I am high functioning and so is my husband. The interesting thing is that my hubby served for 11 years before getting out with a hon discharge. No one is old enough to decide if this was the way that they wanted to go anyway. But I just dont want them coming back and saying if you would not have done this I would be alright today etc...

But as for any funds that we would get I am doubtful about that. We are a one income family and I dont think we would get anything anyway.

If anyone has any other information i would be happy to hear it!

Thanks!